Is this girl's hair what you consider 4b or is it 4c?

levone

I don't think there's anything wrong with her comments or practices. My daughter is 4, very tall for her age (long torso, etc.) and her hair is almost at her waist....if she was of normal height, it would be at her hip. I stopped washing her hair earlier than 2 weeks after her texture changed (around 2) as the shampooing seemed to dry it out. Now when she swims May - October, of course it's washed a lot more frequently, but she's also in braids mainly. I actually practice both methods as we're both natural and sometimes I will shampoo or cowash my own hair (I'm natural as well) more often because I work out several times a week, just depends on my style, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say people will do things differently and one is not necessarily better than the other. I think the key for 'kinkier' textured hair is lower manipulation and washing 'loose' hair can be a lot of manipulation if done too frequently. Looking at her daughter's hair I can say what she is doing works for HER hair.

BrownSkinQT

It looks like 4b kind of hair. But...two things I kinda noticed in the video that made me a little suspicious on what she was saying:
1. Because our hair dries out easily, we need to wash it every two weeks: I was seriously expecting her to say several times a week, but every two weeks?
2. At 2:40, she says that that is a wide tooth comb. I'm sorry but I don't consider that a wide tooth comb. It looks like a regular comb to me.

And it for sure wasn't seamless the way she was ripping through it.

Bluetopia

Hold up :sekret:

ok ya'll got me a bit lost......i wash my hair every two weeks because thats what i learned it prefers....why do so many of ya'll seem to think that's such a deal breaker or nonsensical??? :look:

in minute 1:24 of this video below our beloved sistren Sylver2 (whose hair is beautiful) mentions washing her hair every 2 weeks as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VviHw8FEB2Y

and I know for a fact that the GORGEOUS Amel Larrieux says she washes her hair every 2-3 weeks....(is anyone really gonna look at her hair, say "eww" and tell her she's doing something that isn't working?)

so..unless we're all stark raving mad...i'd say there is an argument to be made that for some people every two weeks makes perfect sense.

In fact I know so many people on this board who recommend doing that - that i find the general sentiment of this thread concerning wash days a little surprising.

calling a regular comb a wide tooth...yes that's just dead wrong. :lachen:

but washing every two weeks is a preference not an error.

silenttullip

I think it's 4a/b u see thickness but some curl too.
As for her tips... Besides the comb thing, not using a lot of conditioner or protector before she blow dried unless I missed it, and saying don't mind if your child cries I think it was a great video.
The girl has a lot of hair so for growth something must be going right but as for the hairline I think the puff looked pretty tight it was cute but reminds me of the ones I use to get and those things hurt.

luckiestdestiny

Hold up :sekret:

ok ya'll got me a bit lost......i wash my hair every two weeks because thats what i learned it prefers....why do so many of ya'll seem to think that's such a deal breaker or nonsensical??? :look:

in minute 1:24 of this video below our beloved sistren Sylver2 (whose hair is beautiful) mentions washing her hair every 2 weeks as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VviHw8FEB2Y

and I know for a fact that the GORGEOUS Amel Larrieux says she washes her hair every 2-3 weeks....(is anyone really gonna look at her hair, say "eww" and tell her she's doing something that isn't working?)

so..unless we're all stark raving mad...i'd say there is an argument to be made that for some people every two weeks makes perfect sense.

In fact I know so many people on this board who recommend doing that - that i find the general sentiment of this thread concerning wash days a little surprising.

calling a regular comb a wide tooth...yes that's just dead wrong. :lachen:

but washing every two weeks is a preference not an error.

You're right about that. I started reducing my washings as well (less manipulation), and using dry shampoo in between to freshen the hair, and get rid of any dirt.

Two of some of the most amazing haired ladies (one relaxed, one natural) wash less requently.
Others like longhairdontcare2011 also wash hair less frequently (up to a month)
http://www.youtube.com/user/longhairdontcare2011?blend=1&ob=4&rclk=cti#p/u/20/D-votw6TLqw

Also loveyaforever washes every 14-21 days
http://public.fotki.com/redhotlala/february-2010-upate/q9.html

Not everything works for everyone. I noticed that my fine (though dense with tons of strands) hair likes less manipulation. But to each their own.

Last edited:

Kurlee

4b. When did 4c get created? LOL. But anyhoo, I would NOT let that woman touch my hair. EVER!

LongCurlz

I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with her techniques, I think she takes care of her daughters hair very well besides the very small amount of conditioner that she uses.
I wish my mother had kept me natural and used good products on my hair while growing up, I think she did a good job.

Leeda.the.Paladin

There's nothing wrong with washing your hair every 2 weeks if that's works for you. I've gone that long before, not a big deal. When I was relaxed, I would go that long frequently.

However, I didn't like her getting on there and saying that "We wash our hair every 2 weeks" like she's speaking for all black people.

She's not doing terrible with her child's hair though. I just hope people do research other places instead of just trying only her techniques. I disagreed with a lot of what she said.

As for this 4c business...I'm about to toss the hair typing stuff out the window. It's already confusing enough without adding another category.

PearlyCurly

There's nothing wrong with washing your hair every 2 weeks if that's works for you. I've gone that long before, not a big deal. When I was relaxed, I would go that long frequently.

However, I didn't like her getting on there and saying that "We wash our hair every 2 weeks" like she's speaking for all black people.

She's not doing terrible with her child's hair though. I just hope people do research other places instead of just trying only her techniques. I disagreed with a lot of what she said.

As for this 4c business...I'm about to toss the hair typing stuff out the window. It's already confusing enough without adding another category.

my thoughts exactly!

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Yeah, the wash every two week thing kinda threw me as well as using oil for moisture.:ohwell: But another thing I noticed is that she didn't mention nor did she use a heat protectant on her daughter's hair. Even still, her hair turned out nice.

Triniwegian

wow her hair looked awful, and she didn't do that little girls hair well at all.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:
I am dying over here!!!
This is so non-PC according to LHCF standards; as long as you are 4z and pitch black we have to say you are pretty or else :brucelee:

I love your honesty!

LiberianGirl

I am dying over here!!!
This is so non-PC according to LHCF standards; as long as you are 4z and pitch black we have to say you are pretty or else :brucelee:

I love your honesty!

Hmm, MissNorway.....just like it's non-PC to say a light skin woman with "good hair" is ugly right???

Geminigirl

All I can say is she is a type 4 and not a 4A. What I really wanted to say was her hair is SO THICK I love it. I dream of that thickness.

yardyspice

I am dying over here!!!

I love your honesty!

Not cool dude! She's a little girl who does have pretty hair because it is thick, her edges are perfect, and it doesn't have any chemicals in it. Pitch black??:nono:

NaturalPath

I saw nothing wrong with her hair care practices...but maybe thats just me.
There are people who do wash every 2 weeks and is able to maintain pretty healthy hair.
however to say (AA's need the oil or the hair will dry it....is bad info)

Other than that, I think we need to stop thinking our practices are alot better than others. If it works for them...it works for them.

honeisos

I say 4b.

I disagree with some of the things she said. But Mom is doing something right. Her childs hair looks healthy, and she has not slapped a relaxer in it

I was thinking the same thing .. I thought her daughter hair was beautiful.. but some of the things she said .. i thought were off..
But then what the hell do I know lol .. I don't have 4B hair.. and I'm learning new tips all the time ..
I just felt good watching her .. and thinking :this is how a mother should care for her child's hair : ... she really took her her time ..

HairBarbie

Her daughter's hair looks gorgeous, thick and soft. I see nothing wrong with her technique, but I agree with those that try to disagree with her saying all black only wash their hair once every 2 weeks.

tada1

How many inches of new growth did ol girl have under them micros? Like 2?:blush:

Anyway, I would say 4b.

:lachen::lachen: mind your own bizniz :lachen::lachen:

anyway, to answer the question i would say 4b. That woman doesn't sound like she's on any forums so for the average non-forumite, i have to salute her for managing to keep her daughter's hair natural and relatively healthy

LiberianGirl

Not cool dude! She's a little girl who does have pretty hair because it is thick, her edges are perfect, and it doesn't have any chemicals in it. Pitch black??:nono:

Not surprised though, the poster who said that changed her screen name but her MO is still the same.:drunk:

Nonie

wow her hair looked awful, and she didn't do that little girls hair well at all.

Can you elaborate? I'm watching the vid now to the end (previously, I only spied it to see the texture to answer OP's question but now I'm watching it again to see what you're talking about) and I'm at 3:56 and so far I see very healthy and beautiful hair.

What's awful about it?

For the record, I'm not one of those who walk on egg shells and will call poop flowers in order to be PC. To be PC, I keep my mouth shut and make no comment...but if there seems to be a misunderstanding and I think I can clarify for those not getting why something isn't appealing, I might step in to try to shed some light. (Like when people were making excuses for JayZ's unkempt hair :rolleyes: )

So when I ask, what's awful about her hair, I'm truly trying to get your reasoning. I'm suspecting a lack of knowledge for 4B hair and how it looks because maybe you've only seen 4A mostly? Is it the color? The lack of shine? What exactly is awful about it?

Shoediva

My daughters texture is just like the girl in the video and its not 4b, its really 4c IMO. I see nothing wrong with washing every 2 weeks. It has been mentioned on this board at least100 x's, that less is more. My mom used to wash my hair every 2 weeks and My hair grew and was healthy as well.

You have to do what works for you.

Last edited: