Is this girl's hair what you consider 4b or is it 4c?

Vintageglam

I dont think the mum was that bad. I have seen A LOT worse..... At least she didnt slick grease her scalp or fry press it with oil like I have seen....

I think she could prob up her game a bit but on the whole that girl has a good head of thick lush curls. So overall they aint doing too bad but could up their game a little.

Also as far as hair washing, this I have noticed is a very personal thing. Some people can go two weeks. Me personally I can't and my hair lets me know it by day 5 or 6. Also I can smell it myself...

Anyway ladies here is a nice video for you to enjoy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCVux1J5tLE&NR=1

Triniwegian

Not cool dude! She's a little girl who does have pretty hair because it is thick, her edges are perfect, and it doesn't have any chemicals in it. Pitch black??:nono:

I never said it was MY opinion, it just seems to be the consensus of the board, from my observation.
Besides I was more tickled by the bluntness of the post..That's all.

Nonie

Can you elaborate? I'm watching the vid now to the end (previously, I only spied it to see the texture to answer OP's question but now I'm watching it again to see what you're talking about) and I'm at 3:56 and so far I see very healthy and beautiful hair.

What's awful about it?

For the record, I'm not one of those who walk on egg shells and will call poop flowers in order to be PC. To be PC, I keep my mouth shut and make no comment...but if there seems to be a misunderstanding and I think I can clarify for those not getting why something isn't appealing, I might step in to try to shed some light. (Like when people were making excuses for JayZ's unkempt hair :rolleyes: )

So when I ask, what's awful about her hair, I'm truly trying to get your reasoning. I'm suspecting a lack of knowledge for 4B hair and how it looks because maybe you've only seen 4A mostly? Is it the color? The lack of shine? What exactly is awful about it?

BTW, those who thanked Washize, I assume you're in agreement with her that the hair was awful. Feel free to explain your point of view. If it's just a texture thing--as in you don't care for 4B texture/appearance, fair enough; everyone's entitled to their own taste/opinion and no one should be mad at you for that. But if you're truly being serious that regardless of the texture the hair is awful, can you please explain what could make it better? I swear I'm just trying to figure out why we're seeing two different things...not trying to start drama. I love to see where people are coming from.

TIA

ETA: Plus this could be a learning opportunity for all of us, just like JayZ's unkempt hair was. ;)

BlackMasterPiece

Okay so I finally watched the ending and I have to say, her little girl has really healthy thick strong hair I L:love:VED the blownout puff at the end although, I hope she does air-dry styles on her as well like two strand twists.

I commend the mother for doing what it takes to keep her little girl natural, that sets her apart off the top. Honestly, my mom believed alot of those same things when I was growing up and my hair looked just like hers and was even longer then that at times.

Good for her on keeping that beautiful little girl the way god created her, I loved the way she jumped for joy at the end.

AfroKink

wow her hair looked awful, and she didn't do that little girls hair well at all.

BTW, those who thanked Washize, I assume you're in agreement with her that the hair was awful. Feel free to explain your point of view. If it's just a texture thing--as in you don't care for 4B texture/appearance, fair enough; everyone's entitled to their own taste/opinion and no one should be mad at you for that. But if you're truly being serious that regardless of the texture the hair is awful, can you please explain what could make it better? I swear I'm just trying to figure out why we're seeing two different things...not trying to start drama. I love to see where people are coming from.

TIA

ETA: Plus this could be a learning opportunity for all of us, just like JayZ's unkempt hair was. ;)

From Washize's post, I gathered that she was saying "the mother's hair was awful ... and the mother didn't do the child's hair well" I think someone mentioned the fact that the mother has a ton of new growth under her micros

washize

TIA

I tried to pm you but your box was full Oh sure no problem, I meant the mothers hair looked awful, I didn't think her micro's looked nice especially with the inch and a half of growth popping out. Nor did I agree with the method she used for her daughters hair type. :nono:

Nonie

From Washize's post, I gathered that she was saying "the mother's hair was awful ... and the mother didn't do the child's hair well" I think someone mentioned the fact that the mother has a ton of new growth under her micros

I tried to pm you but your box was full Oh sure no problem, I meant the mothers hair looked awful, I didn't think her micro's looked nice especially with the inch and a half of growth popping out. Nor did I agree with the method she used for her daughters hair type. :nono:

Thank you both for clarifying. I was sitting here thinking you were talking about the girl's hair which to me is what I'd love mine to be...:love: (Thick from roots to tips, even in length and long....(*This calls for a moment of silence for my hair please* :cry4: )) ...that I was so sure we were watching different videos.

I didn't pay attention to the mom's hair, but I'll take your word for it :giggle: coz I don't want anything ruining the memory of that girl's hair so I won't be going back to look. LOL

ETA: Looks like I need to sign up for a Makeup class for English Comprehension. On looking at your sentence again Washize, I feel like a total dolt. :dork: The subject of the sentence was clearly the mother. Oh the shame! :hide:

Last edited:

Nonie

:wallbash: what is 4c?

:lol: There, there Kurlee. *gay head rub smiley here*
I explained what I think it is earlier in Post #20. Don't let it drive you to drink; just do what I do and translate it to "manipulated 4B" which is really just 4B. :look:

Last edited:

Leeda.the.Paladin

Also, I don't think the lady was talking about oils (like olive oil) being used to be moisturize the hair, I think she was talking about our natural oil that our body makes...?

lipati

I have seen hair kinkier than this, here and on youtube, and yes they have healthy hair practices. So its not that the hair lacks moisture or something, its just the way it is. With this said, I think there is 4C or CNapp.

Kurlee

I think it's so much easier to sitck with :
4a = smallest group of curls, regardless of shine or thickness
4b = no defined curl pattern, regardless of shine or thickness

SO MUCH EASIER :wallbash:

Nayna

Unbothered
Also, I don't think the lady was talking about oils (like olive oil) being used to be moisturize the hair, I think she was talking about our natural oil that our body makes...?

I agree. But she also referred to the nourish and shine as an oil so I dunno, she may just like the word. Lol. Kind of like how some people say they grease their hair but they don't mean they used Dax.

washize

Thank you both for clarifying. I was sitting here thinking you were talking about the girl's hair which to me is what I'd love mine to be...:love: (Thick from roots to tips, even in length and long....(*This calls for a moment of silence for my hair please* :cry4: )) ...that I was so sure we were watching different videos.

I didn't pay attention to the mom's hair, but I'll take your word for it :giggle: coz I don't want anything ruining the memory of that girl's hair so I won't be going back to look. LOL

ETA: Looks like I need to sign up for a Makeup class for English Comprehension. On looking at your sentence again Washize, I feel like a total dolt. :dork: The subject of the sentence was clearly the mother. Oh the shame! :hide:

:lachen:no problem, the little girls hair was thick and lucious, it had a very nice length too!

Nonie

I think it's so much easier to sitck with :
4a = smallest group of curls, regardless of shine or thickness
4b = no defined curl pattern, regardless of shine or thickness

SO MUCH EASIER :wallbash:

Nah, I don't get the "no defined curl pattern" definition, unless definition = clumping. If definition is what I know it to be as in "distinct and clearly formed", then 4B hair does indeed have defined curls.

I have 4B hair. I see curls, or coils for those who insist that only large size spirals deserve to be called curls. I do not have 4A hair because my hair cannot do WNGs as it doesn't clump easily due to the size of the coils. They are tinier than 4A and they would clump with shingling but who has time for all o' dat.

I think if we want to make it easier, drop all the letters and just call it 4-something. That's easier. This business of "no pattern" makes it sound like a mutant that it continually mutating so that the DNA can't decide what formula to follow. :lol:

Kurlee

Nah, I don't get the "no defined curl pattern" definition, unless definition = clumping. If definition is what I know it to be as in "distinct and clearly formed", then 4B hair does indeed have defined curls.

I have 4B hair. I see curls, or coils for those who insist that only large size spirals deserve to be called curls. I do not have 4A hair because my hair cannot do WNGs as it doesn't clump easily due to the size of the coils. They are tinier than 4A and they would clump with shingling but who has time for all o' dat.

I think if we want to make it easier, drop all the letters and just call it 4-something. That's easier. This business of "no pattern" makes it sound like a mutant that it continually mutating so that the DNA can't decide what formula to follow. :lol:
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Neith

Her hair is obviously healthy! Who cares what her mom does to her hair if it works? We're not some hair cult :lol: People take care of their hair the way they want!

I can't tell the texture though. It was manipulated a lot. Nice, thick and type 4 though :)

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
I just watched the video again. That girl is only 10? Damn! I would have guessed 17.

And even though what someone posted earlier was misunderstood do we honestly have to find every natural head beautiful and gorgeous just because it's natural? Personally, her hair was okay to me. I saw nothing outstanding or amazing but that's just me.*shrugs*

Nonie

I just watched the video again. That girl is only 10? Damn! I would have guessed 17.

And even though what someone posted earlier was misunderstood do we honestly have to find every natural head beautiful and gorgeous just because it's natural? Personally, her hair was okay to me. I saw nothing outstanding or amazing but that's just me.*shrugs*

I don't know about everyone else but I'll speak for me. That's never been my MO. In fact, Mwedzi will tell you that unless 4B hair is combed out into a Bernie Mac afro, I probably won't be oohing and aahing much. But I do love long hair. I do love seeing my type of hair full and thick and will point it out. Her hair is as healthy as any 4B hair I have seen (If you show me any that is healthier then I'll stand corrected); it's as full as I'd want mine to be; it's uniformly long (no chewed/shorter edges); and it doesn't have thin unsightly ends that I see some of us on here holding onto, myself included. In other words, it's as good as I'd want my hair to be.

I guess the day my hair looks like that, that will cease to be impressive to me too, and I'll start seeing only Mwedzi's hair, LynnieB's, Sera's etc as beautiful. Please note, my admiration has nothing to do with style. If she went out in public with her hair looking like it does halfway through the vid, I'd say it was unkempt coz I'm all about perfectly styled hair :giggle: But from where I stand, her hair is what I'd give the world for mine to look like NOW!

Last edited:

knt1229

I understand ya'll want to debate hair washing. BUT, did anybody besides me notice the missing teeth in that blow dryer. Missing teeth in a blow dryer is a huge :nono: to me because those empty spaces can rip your hair out. To me this was the biggest wrong done in the video.

Bluetopia

yeah thats what i took it to mean too....

in fact ya'll i just had a light bulb moment :think:

this women's biggest sin may be poor communication.....i suspect there is a gap between what she said and what she meant

if she had expressed her theories better half of her errors might have redemmed themselves.

for some reason...i still wouldnt let her touch my hair tho....her daughters hair looks super healthy but....i'm tender headed and would go incog-negro if I ever saw her coming at me with that bright yellow blow dryer :hide:

locabouthair

Nonie my coils are a lot tighter than yours. Would you call me cnapp or 4c then? If there is sucha thing as 4c that would be me.

Nonie

Nonie my coils are a lot tighter than yours. Would you call me cnapp or 4c then? If there is sucha thing as 4c that would be me.

Wanna bet on that? Nah, you are 4B just like me. All the pics you've seen so far of my coils are magnified big time. Plus any size that is too small to clump easily from a WNG falls into 4B category IMO. I minimized the original pic to try to bring it to life-size approximation, using my fingers as a guide:

And I just now took a pic of my coils against a measuring tape, which I will tell you is not the easiest thing to do on your own, especially when you don't have steady hands. Seems the average diameter of my coils is just a touch under 1/8 of an inch. If yours are smaller than that, then I take my hat off to you.

ETA: According to my observation, CNapp is a name given to manipulated 4B hair but I prefer just to call it 4B coz that's what it is. After all, when someone with type 1 hair curls her hair, we don't suddenly say it has a new name. It is just manipulated type 1 hair. Similarly when someone with wavy type 2 hair presses it straight. It's still type 2 hair worn in a straight do. 4B hair is 4B hair to me whether it looks all coily because it's not been manipulated or like it has no shape or form because it has been manipulated.

Last edited:

locabouthair

Mine is definitely smaller. At least in some parts. I guess I have different types of 4b on my head. I wish I would have taken more pics when I was natural.

Nonie

Mine is definitely smaller. At least in some parts. I guess I have different types of 4b on my head. I wish I would have taken more pics when I was natural.

Well, if you ever stretch your relaxer long enough for your growth to show a hint of your texture, or if you ever have beady beads in your kitchen, I wanna see. :lol: