Fighting texture differences on natural hair! HELP!

sunbubbles

*SIGH* Im just about through! Im tired of the back of my hair being SO different from the front. The back of my natural hair is Fine, 3c/4a, while the front is medium to thick 4a/4b. I wanna scream!! I just realized that Ive probably lost a good 2-3 inches in breakage over the past 6 months, because I keep forgetting that I cant treat the BACK of my hair like the front! :wallbash: And the longer it gets the harder it is to control!! All of it is so dense, but the back is so baby fine and soft, that it feels like im touching air back there. Can some of u ladies with longer hair, with the softer hair texture in the back tell me how you were able to handle the 2 (or more, lol) textures? So far Ive figured out that I ABSOLUTELY cannot leave my twists or braids in for the same amt of time as the middle and front. Ex. If I have in a set of mini braids that I know will last me for 2 mths, I HAVE to redo the back every 3-4 wks at least so it wont knot up.
Thx for the help ladies!

Last edited:

FroFab

My mix is similar but I don't fight it. I have mostly been wearing mini braids or twists and just let both sections be. From about the top of my ears on down is very soft and fine too. Even though those twists and braids seems to slip quicker/easier than the rest, I try to keep it moisturized and let it be...if it looks frizzy, then so be it.

Fhrizzball

My hair is like that although you can't tell. My bangs and top are prone to splits and they're looser and silkier than the rest of my hair. My nape is coarse and brillo pad like so I have to redo them when in twists or braids every week or 2 or it will loc up. My back breaks off easier too so I have to moisturize that more than rest. I just treat each part differently instead of grouping them all together.

mscocoface

My front is a slightly different texture and not as thick as my back.

I also notice that my front grows much quick than my back. My back is sloooooooooooow in growing. It is like that back 3-4 inches of my head. It is also where I have the most shrinkage.

I have learned how to deal with the two in finding what works for one area and the other area.

It is like having a double personality on the head. Hang in there.

Lola Laughs

My solution, I just gave up and stopped fighting it. From my nape up to the tops of my ears is noticeably looser than the crown. It's not as noticeable when past SL, but I'm growing out a bob so I just have to be patient.

Sorry i couldn't help, just being empathetic :ohwell:

Eritreladiee

Yeah my nape is a much looser texture than the rest of my hair too. I think you're on the right track for redoing the braids in the back. When I was taking out my yarn braid after 3 weeks, it seemed like had i waited any longer that area would've started to dread up. I guess it's from the shed hair and cowashing.

But i think i'm opposite to you because my breakage happens in the tighter texture area because the strands seem to be finer there.

melissa-bee

I'm transitioning at the moment and can already see i have various textures throughout my head. I could make a map like disneyland. I remember when natural my back was a lot longer then the rest of my hair. I just hope i'm able to handle it. I have no advice so far i'm just saying lol.

ryanshope

I can so relate...my sides are like 4Z, the top is 4A and the back is 4a/b....the sides grow SO FREAKING SLOW! So I have this constant, box head going on..I want to keep the top/front/back trimmed so that the sides can catch up..