FLORIDA Ladies! Come in...

DominicanBrazilian82

Where all my Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Tallahassee ladies (too many other areas to mention)! I am a Miami Girl (New York Born and Bred tho) who STRUGGLES with keeping the frizz down and the straight styles cute.

A few years ago I did a BKT and that helped tremendously. My hair also started to fall out because of it (by the comb full). So not doing that again.

Recently I've looked into Design Essentials Transitioning Mousse to help with my frizz caused by humidity. Just seeing maybe what some of you other ladies have done to combat this issue.

TIA

P.S. What's up with a meet-up tho!

MGA2013

I'm in Orlando.
With the frizz issue I don't have any suggestions because I keep my hair braided during the summer to deal with the Florida heat.

sunnysmyler

Yeah, Miramar checking in here...... I ONLY straighten during with "winter" months and even then I watch the weather on the news like a hawk to make sure I'm not wasting my time, lol....

I refuse to spend hours flat ironing my hair just to have it just frizz up in one day, it is not that serious for me!

I mainly wear twist, twist outs and pony tails! I haven't straightened in over a year.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

DominicanBrazilian82

Yeah, Miramar checking in here...... I ONLY straighten during with "winter" months and even then I watch the weather on the news like a hawk to make sure I'm not wasting my time, lol....

I refuse to spend hours flat ironing my hair just to have it just frizz up in one day, it is not that serious for me!

I mainly wear twist, twist outs and pony tails! I haven't straightened in over a year.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Girl I put one hand outside the door and bring it back in the house. If it feels damp or dewy, I throw that sucker in a bun! I love our winter months where humidity is at its lowest! I might have to follow your PS reggie!

Last edited:

Ann0804

In Florida, ponytails are your friend. There's not a product that can handle Florida (in my experience).

Be sure to share your meetup pictures with us. :)

LaughingOctopus

Tallahassee via Miami here.

Giiirl its hawt out there.:lol: I wouldn't even attempt a straight style. I haven't had such luck I remember a lot of ladies here raving about sabino moisture block as an anti humectant but Im not sure if its even around anymore.

cocosweet

In Florida, ponytails are your friend. There's not a product that can handle Florida (in my experience).

Be sure to share your meetup pictures with us. :)
Orlando here.

I second the bolded. The humidity here is no joke. If I straighten my hair, I do it with the understanding that it won't last a day if I don't cover it up or put it up.

ScorpioLove

Girl scarf in the car!!!! Wrap it down when I GET TO WHERE IM GOING, wrap it back when I leave. The struggle is real. :grin:

:lachen::lachen: i'm only laughing cause I do this with my hair wrapped in a scarf and all until I get to my destination lol i have a set of scarves in my car just for that :lol:

eta: I'm definitely up for a meet up (miami)

Last edited:

DominicanBrazilian82

:lachen::lachen: i'm only laughing cause I do this with my hair wrapped in a scarf and all until I get to my destination lol i have a set of scarves in my car just for that :lol:

eta: I'm definitely up for a meet up (miami)

My fellow Scorpio Sistren... Got brushes and wide tooth combs too! Even keep a lil serum for those extra humid days. :gorgeous:

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
LOL - the memories.
I lived in Miami for 4 years. I went down there with a gorgeous relaxed blowout in September for school. My advisor picked me up in his convertible and I thought it was soo cool. My hair was a big PUFF when I got to my apartment. I decided then (20 years ago) to give up on relaxing because it didn't even matter. I was natural, when natural wasn't cool....

bosswitch

Not from Florida but have dealt with a hot, humid climate before. When I'm going to straighten my hair, I DC, use a conditioner after, tea/acv rinse, then use either john frieda 3-day straight or the friz-eeze gel. If I moisture properly and tie my hair properly at night, I'm good for ~1 week.

MissMusic

I live in the FLA!!!!! I am always everywhere for work (free-lance classical musician), I'll be in Pensacola tomorrow, Tallahassee after that, then Orlando, etc.

Straightening is not an option right now, its humid, hot and rainy. I love the cool/cold months, I get the BEST hair days. In this weather I wear my hair out for like two days and then up in a bun or puff until my next wash.

koolkittychick

Miami girl here! You are so right about the heat and humidity! I'm relaxed/textlaxed and I don't even bother trying to wear my hair out this time of year. I throw it in a French braid or bun and call it a day.

Even if I could keep it from frizzing up (like an earlier poster said, there isn't a product in existence that can tackle Florida weather in the summer) the feel of it on my neck, shoulders and back when I am out and about is more than I could take!

I don't know how sistahs with weave deal with it; I think my scalp would just burst into flames before melting from the heat of all that extra hair plus my own braided down so close to my scalp. All I can say is thank God for air conditioning, because I would be rocking a TWA if it didn't exist.

And let me know the time and place for a meetup and I'll be there! :yep:

Highly Favored8

Queens,NYC girl checking in....

I live in North East Florida now..

I wear buns and long twist bun or I wear in a curl puff even that style gets sweated out.

I only wear my hair straight in the cool and winter months. Summer is just too hot and frizzy.

FlyyBohemian

Originally from the DMV and reside in Miami. That Dominican blowout I paid for down here was such a waste of money....I just keep my hair natural or wear a wig.

DominicanBrazilian82

Miami girl here! You are so right about the heat and humidity! I'm relaxed/textlaxed and I don't even bother trying to wear my hair out this time of year. I throw it in a French braid or bun and call it a day.

Even if I could keep it from frizzing up (like an earlier poster said, there isn't a product in existence that can tackle Florida weather in the summer) the feel of it on my neck, shoulders and back when I am out and about is more than I could take!

I don't know how sistahs with weave deal with it; I think my scalp would just burst into flames before melting from the heat of all that extra hair plus my own braided down so close to my scalp. All I can say is thank God for air conditioning, because I would be rocking a TWA if it didn't exist.

And let me know the time and place for a meetup and I'll be there! :yep:

Girl idk how they do it either. That would be too much hair for me even in the winter months! koolkittychick

DominicanBrazilian82

Originally from the DMV and reside in Miami. That Dominican blowout I paid for down here was such a waste of money....I just keep my hair natural or wear a wig.

I do them at home and like I told ScorpioLove... Scarf to the car, scarf in the car, park where I'm going, comb hair down, get out the car, run to the door. Come back out, run to car, serum on hands, smooth out frizz, wrap back up, scarf back on!!! :lachen: It's so extra, but I prefer straight styles until I I finally hit APL (2 more inches) or longer.

mccray689

Im in Tallahassee!!!! Just excited to see a Florida post :) I'm in braids now so the frizz doesnt really effect me but my roommate carries around a shower cap to protect hair ( she's from california and doesn't fully understand/like our weather.)

SmilingElephant

407 stand up!!! Im in O Town!

Bout time we get some recognition!! Im a native of Central Florida...born and rezzed! I was born in Tampa. (I did live in Ohio for about 2 yrs but i was a baby)

I love my city...don't think i could reside anywhere else. :nono:

Eta: Forget straight hair in the summer!!! Curly all the way until the end of September! The more moisture i put into my hair, the less frizz i have. I MUST use gel! Ecostyler is my best friend!!:yep:

Last edited:

DominicanBrazilian82

Im in Tallahassee!!!! Just excited to see a Florida post :) I'm in braids now so the frizz doesnt really effect me but my roommate carries around a shower cap to protect hair ( she's from california and doesn't fully understand/like our weather.)

A shower cap?! Really?!!!!!! That's different. But I say whatever works. mccray689

DominicanBrazilian82

407 stand up!!! Im in O Town!

Bout time we get some recognition!! Im a native of Central Florida...born and rezzed! I was born in Tampa. (I did live in Ohio for about 2 yrs but i was a baby)

I love my city...don't think i could reside anywhere else. :nono:

Eta: Forget straight hair in the summer!!! Curly all the way until the end of September! The more moisture i put into my hair, the less frizz i have. I MUST use gel! Ecostyler is my best friend!!:yep:

Proud Floridian! I love it. SmilingElephant

lamaria211

Queens,NYC girl checking in....

I live in North East Florida now..

I wear buns and long twist bun or I wear in a curl puff even that style gets sweated out.

I only wear my hair straight in the cool and winter months. Summer is just too hot and frizzy.

I'm from South Ozone Park NY
Living in Port st. Lucie Fl now!