For Those in Braid Extensions

sunshyne_krissy

:) I would like to get an idea of how many of us on LHCF are doing the braid technique by way of Crown and Glory or whatever else. I am C&G "techniquing" until I'm BSL (hopefully by mid-late 2008 or before I get married:p ). I have the following questions. My answeres are in blue incase anyone cares..lol
(this thread may also help those who have no regimen yet):

When/why did you start wearing braids?
To transition out of my relaxer FOR GOOD and to get to BSL: my hair grows faster and I retain more length in braids.

How long do you plan to use this protective style?
Until I'm BSL -2008

What shampoo/conditioning/maintainance products do you use? Do you use Infusium 23 and a Braid Spray? Why or why not?
I use Creme of Nature (green and white bottle) 'poo
MY VO5 concoction for co-washing
and my homemade MTG for daily spray/conditioning

How & how often do you wash your braids?
Once a week for 'poo and once a week for co-washing

If you use the C&G technique do you use a sea sponge as it is recommended?Why or why not?
I don't use one. I don't believe I need it...then again I haven't tried to buy one either..lol

How are your results going so far ?:grin:
Great! My new growth is growing like a weed and is doing very well; is the softest its been in my life with my new co-wash regimen so Im very pleased.

Do you get a lot of matting or minimal when removing your braids?Please Explain
I don't know at this point b/c its my first time in braids since 2004. But I used to get med. matting.. with this new regimen I'm praying for much less.

What advice would you give to those who are thinking of doing the braid extensions technique?
Moisturizing/strengthening is imperitive!!! Don't leave them in longer than 2 months, use the least amount of oil on scalp and braids so they won't matte up. Do not put them in too tight. Follow the C & G Technique. The link is below.

Here is the Crown and Glory Link:
It is an EXCELLENT way to maintain healthy/long hair using protective styling like braids!
http://www.growafrohairlong.com

PM me if you have questions!

BrwnSugaBabee

Started in Junior High, grew up in a city that was "ethnically challenged" lol..and did not know how to manage my own hair.

I will use it off and on forever. I am actively doing it now...but will die down once my hair reaches BSL. But I will cont. to do braids to maintain the health of my hair.

What shampoo/conditioning/maintainance products do you use? Do you use Infusium 23 and a Braid Spray? Why or why not?

I don't shamp while i am in braids unless I go swimming.That's just me...I use African Braid Spray coupled with Elasta QP leave in. If they start to feel dry I might add some Elasta QP Recovery Oil Moisturizer.

I don't feel the need to. My hair does fine after I take out the braids. The braids don't have a bad odor. If they do I shamp. But usually I don't wash em.(I know how some of yall feel about that..but to each his own.)

If you use the C&G technique do you use a sea sponge as it is recommended?Why or why not?
nope

How are your results going so far ?
Great! My hair is growing really fast and I love that my results are measurable..as in my hair needs to be done sooner now.

I don't have much shedding at all when I take my braids out..I believe this is because I moisturize all the time..Also..when taking braids out i am really careful..I treat my hair like silk.

What advice would you give to those who are thinking of doing the braid extensions technique?

ITA moisture, and dont leave them in too long. Also for most micro braids are a dont, they put too much tension on the scalp.

beyondcute

sunshyne_krissy said:
:) I would like to get an idea of how many of us on LHCF are doing the braid technique by way of Crown and Glory or whatever else. I am C&G "techniquing" until I'm BSL (hopefully by mid-late 2008 or before I get married:p ). I have the following questions. My answeres are in blue incase anyone cares..lol
(this thread may also help those who have no regimen yet):

Ummmm Ive been wearing braids ince I was little but actually doing C&G for about 6 months, also using it to transition :) BSL natural is what I want too.

Until I reach my goal.

I use Keracare conditioner, Loprox shampoo and head and shoulders shampoo, I use whatever as a braid spray, doesnt matter to me. My hair grows in darn near any condition...
When ever I feel like it...
No cuz I dont feel like it. My natural hair is super strong and the relaxed hair can shrivel up and die as far as Im concerend... :lol: No Im kidding. Once again my hair is relatively strong so I dont tink the extra care is necessary. I dont ever have major problems with my bridas as is but if I do start having problems Ill get a sponge.

Absolutely wonderful. I love braids!

nope.... Even if I dont redo the outer braids Im good for 2 months. I slather on some conditioner and the comb slips through.

Make sure when you get them done they are not too tight. Also remeber that wheb you take the briads out you will have THAT much shedding. If you wait 2 months you will have 2 months of shedding, etc. PM me if you please :)

Eiano

To transition out of my relaxer

Till im waist length

I use some braid spray, I don't know the name of. I only clarify every 2 months or so. Other than that, I don't use anything on my hair in braids because I don't want buildup. But I do use MTG every once in a while.

Rarely. Maybe once every month or 2 months. tee hee hee..

Nah, that just looks good for show... it's really not necessary.. lol

Well I've grown BSL hair by wearing braids and it's still growing so I'd say it's going great!

Yes, but that's just the territory. You just have to know how to work around it and be gentle. Rushing causes breakage.

It's great and easy if you are lazy... lmao. Protect your hair though cause it WILL dry up in the braids.

RabiaElaine

Good thread!

I've worn braids as early as 4 years old. I've known about the C&G method for about 2 years or so.

I plan to use it on and off to stretch my relaxer. I used it for one stretch last year, and my last stretch Dec 05-April06. I plan on using it through weeks 10-15 of my stretch.

I use Creme of Nature shampoo (green bottle) diluted with water.
I used Kenra MC, this stretch I plan to use that on and off with Keracare Humecto.

I haven't been very good about moisturizing while in braids. I plan to change that this time around, since I've grown used to moisturizing my hair 2 times a day now.

I've use African Pride Braid Spray in the past. Thinking about making up my own concoction with NTM leave in and an oil, or maybe adding NTM to what's left of my African Pride.

I try to do it 1x per week...sometimes every 2 weeks if I slip up, but not more than that.

The hair I will be using in the next stretch will need to be re-wet often to maintain the curl (check my album to see the hair). So I may cowash sometimes for added moisture.

I don't use one. But I use my hands like Robyn does in her video on the C&G website.

My results are very good. I can always retain length while in braids, I just have to be good about moisturizing daily.

No I don't have a lot matting. I don't leave my braids in longer than 6-8 weeks, but try to stick to 6 weeks. I am also VERY GENTLE when removing my braids. I detangle each braid with my hands . I also slather on conditioner after I get the braid out to soften the hair...I probably wouldn't have to do this if I moisturized more often.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they put conditioner on the braid before they take it down (if I understand them properly), anyway I might have to try this it might make it even easier.

IMO: The larger your braids are the less problems you will have with matting.

Learn from me...you need to moisturize your braids to reap maximum benefits.

Don't leave braids in for too long 6-8 weeks, I personally prefer 6 weeks.

I think taking rests between braids is also important. This way you are able to have a few weeks to assess your hair, give it treatments etc., and to give it a rest from the weight of braids.

Check out the www.growafrohairlong.com to learn about the C&G method. I think there is A LOT of useful information there.

One of the most important things in incorporating a braiding regimen I believe is:

LEARN TO DO YOUR BRAIDS YOURSELF!!!!

I think this important because the same with going to the hairdresser for anything else, YOU are going to be more gentle on your hair than any braider. YOU will make sure that your parts aren't too small. YOU will make sure that you braid down past your hair if you are leaving the ends out. YOU will make sure that your hair isn't knotted or glued depending on how you plan to close braids that you are leaving the ends loose.

I've had all of these things happen to me by going to braiders, unless you have a close friend or family member that can do them for you, that you can trust to do what you ask (which luckily I do have a friend that braids my hair on occasion, but I do it myself mostly now) then do it YOURSELF!

It takes time and practice to learn, but trust once you do learn you will be happy that you took matters into your own hands.

Happy Braiding:)

Last edited:

sareca

I started October 2005. I started to grow my hair back to BSL.

Until BSL (1.5-2 years)

I use a clarifying conditioner instead of a poo.
I use keracare (dry and itchy) or humectress
I don't use Infusium. I use African Royale Braid Spray, Aphogee Green Tea Reconstructor, and IC Moisturizing Hair and Scalp Treatment mixed. Infusium is too sticky.

Every 3 days.

I use a sea sponge. I've found it very effective for getting liquid from the bowl to your hair w/o it getting it all over your clothes.

Love it!

I've had a mix of results. Sometimes it's matted and sometimes not. I find not using oil helps, but I just roll the dice and deal with whatever happens. I don't make any special effort to prevent it. But if it is matted take my time and remove 1 strand at a time from the tangle.

Moisture and not too much shampoo. If you must make sure you dilute it heavily.

ekomba

i havent updated in ages. I m currently in twists but june1 i m getting cornrows for 2 months june july then aug/sept/oct a weave, nov,dec,jan a weave , feb march april a weave and may,june july a weave then that s it for my 2nd year anniversary i should be waistlength hopefully. i need 16 inches to reach my waist so i need to grow and retain at least 1inch per month each month to reach my goal by aug1, 2007 grow hair grow.:p ;) :D :)

morehairplease

Awesome thread ladies! Thanks for starting it. My current style is a twa but I would LOVE to get braids. I plan on going to a local braider and see if my hair is able to be 'caught' for kinky twist. Hopefully, it will be.....we'll see. Again ladies great thread!

remnant

:D :D :D

I'm in the 2006 (sewin +braids) Crown and glory Challenge but I started braids in october 2005.

FIRST UNTIL I'm mid back secondly whenever I will rest my hair!

I use diluted Ultra Doux GARNIER+Elseve soin-creme for Co-washing
I use very mild poo only once per month
and my homemade moisturizer and strengher every day.

Once a week for Co-washing.

I don't use one because I didn't get use to it.

Great! Great Great for my hair!

I try to redo (every 2-3weeks) some braids in the back of my head and in other area to avoid extra matting.

Moisturizing/strengthening is imperitive!!! Don't leave them in longer than 2 months, use the least amount of oil on scalp and braids so they won't matte up. Do not put them in too tight. Follow the C & G Technique. The link is below.

Here is the Crown and Glory Link:
It is an EXCELLENT way to maintain healthy/long hair using protective styling like braids!
http://www.growafrohairlong.com

CORBINS

I've been wearing braids on and off for many years. I started to transition April 2005 and wore braids for about 8 months and removed them December 2005. I BC'd in April 2006 with 6 inches of natural hair. I'm back in braids until September 2006.

Until Sep 2006, before my 10 year class reunion

I am currently using Gueye braid spray, sometimes I use Infusium or Fantasia IC moisturizing leave-in (smells wonderful)

I plan on washing twice per month. I usually wash once per week, but I want to see how much growth I get without washing so frequently.

I haven't tried the sponge yet.

How are your results going so far ?
My hair always does well in braids, I get the most growth and thickness.

I rebraid the braids along my hairline every 2 weeks to aviod buildup. I also rebraid other braids when I notice that they are getting loose. When I spray my braids, I aviod my scalp as much as possible. I only spray my scalp once per week.

Keep your braids moisturized. Find a product that works for YOU. Always wrap your braids at night with a silk scarf. Don't pull the braids in tight ponytails, make sure the braids aren't tight around the hairline, and oil the hairline at night so the weaker hairs don't lose strength.