For those that are texturized-- Hair Typing

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
I type my hair based on my natural texture, 3c-4a mix. I consider myself relaxed (texturized). Meaning relaxed, but not straight. Certainly not natural, eventhough my first process left my hair very close to it's natural state. That process left me as a complete 3c-3b. After a salon mishap I'm multi-textured, ranging from 2b-4a! Probably 2b-3c, but next to this straight hair it seems real 'natural'

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hair is really pretty. I don't remember seeing your hair other than your avatar before.
What did you use to texturize your hair?

options

OshunCurls,

I love your hair. What is the texture/type of your hair pre-texturizer? What type of relaxer do you use? What is your methodology (timing, sectioning, etc.)?

ms_kenesha

MC,
Your hair looks a lot like my friend's used to look. Natural she was a 3c/4a or maybe just 3c and when I first met her she had texturized hair *she thought it was just relaxed though*, she wore it straight mostly, but sometimes wore it curly. Then she went natural towards the end of last year, she then got her hair relaxed a couple of mths ago and now her hair won't curl back up anymore and she's pissed. She really wanted a texturizer not a relaxer.

sengschick

The Bun Master
Thanks Ms.K
. I posted the pics along time ago when I first did the album, but not since. I'm waiting on the 6 month and 12 month "big bang" before I post another album update thread. Plus I didn't want to get fingered for an unintentional tilt back in my 4 mo. progress pic

I use the PhytoRelaxer. The first texturizer was done w/Index 1 (mild). It was left in for 10 mins tops, some areas were only processed for 3-6 mins
. At that level of texturizing I still couldn't wash and wear. In part do to uneven relaxing. The updates were the results of an Index 2 (regular) which was mistakenly used by the stylist. She also worked the relaxer until I asked her what in the heck she was doing
. So that's why I'm so multi-textured (I'm ranging btwn 30-95% relaxed). If I have one piece of advice to offer it would be to do it yourself. I think most stylist are so used to making hair bone straight that this request falls on deaf ears. When I correct & touch-up I'm going back to the Index 1 (mild). It's a soya & egg (no lye) based system, with a pH under 8. The Index 2 is an 11, I think.

I love the flexibility of being texturized, I think it's a wonderfully happy medium.

Tonya

[ QUOTE ]
model_chick717 said:
[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
I type my hair based on my natural texture, 3c-4a mix. I consider myself relaxed (texturized). Meaning relaxed, but not straight. Certainly not natural, eventhough my first process left my hair very close to it's natural state. That process left me as a complete 3c-3b. After a salon mishap I'm multi-textured, ranging from 2b-4a! Probably 2b-3c, but next to this straight hair it seems real 'natural'

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hair looks great Seng.

That's what i was always thinking -- how do they get the hair to come out to look the exact same as the hair that was previously texturized. You know what i mean?? since it's not a full relaxer and youre trying to loosen and not straighten the hair completely. I wondered if there were ever any problems or mishaps. If i was texturized i think i would be ready to strangle somebody if the rest of my texturized hair was looking cool and then they just jacked up my touch up by getting the newgrowth super straight.
but everyones hair i've seen looks good.
-- jainygirl

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the one hazard with texturizing, IMO. I usually re-touch my hair about every 3-4 months, usually have to go over it again after about 6-8 months to get it exactly at the texture that I like. For me, I tend to underprocess, so at some point I go over it again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I agree with this.....the last time I texturized was the first time I got a "perfect curl" but at the same time it is still allot tighter than I desire it to be. Relaly when I texturize now my drade does not really change that much form my natural hair texture. I am too afriad to overlap...you have maintained thickeness ,that is encouraging...is your natural hair really coarse...or should I say strong? Meaning have you always been able to tolerate color and relaxers or what not without your hair thinning? While my hair is hell thick NOW color treatments and relaxers can thin it out easily if I do not keep at my protein and moisturizing treatments. (thanks Tracy)

Thank you, Ms. Kenesha and options

I was natural for about ten years before I texturized- my natural hair texture is a "soft" 3c (as opposed to what I consider a "silky" 3c) with some 4a areas in the back. My stylist used Affirm Lye Regular Strength for about 7 minutes (slightly less in the front- like maybe 5 minutes- this area naturally has a looser curl pattern) and he smoothed with his hands throughout the process, only combing briefly around the front edge. My hair was braided in six pre-detangled sections prior to the service so he was not ripping through the hair. He worked from back to front. HTH!

InsertCleverNameHere

OshunCurls I love your hair! It is making me want to dye my hair back jet black because it is gorgeous! I can't wait til my curls are that length!

Sengs,

Your hair IS looking good, girlie:) I am glad to see it! You had me all sad and concerned that it was not doing well
. I love the cut and thickness! Did you get it cut into that shape when you got it done or is just growing in nicely? My next project may be to get a nice cut ...

Tonya

Seng....your hair is tha bomb!! You have to PM me with info onn Emergence...hook a sista up....

Oshun...your hair is THA BOMB!! Love it...

Mary K can I see your pics?

sengschick

The Bun Master
@Oshun:
What shape?
That's my one constant gripe about my hair... it's shapeless!!!! I look @ people on here all the time, like wow, they have a shape! I need that
!
I wasn't sobbing over nothin'! Did you see those last two pics?! If it wasn't for y'all I'd still be lookin' like that!

@Tonya: Thanks.
I'm trying girl.
I have no problem giving credit where credit is due... it was all the lovely Ms. Tracy
. She's here looking out for sistahs!! I love her! She was absolutely right on point w/Emergencee, b/c my hair felt as good as it looked in that picture. I'm using it now to combat this darn seasonal shedding. But it's an absolute must have.

LOL @ Sengs!

In the "Emergencee" pic the pieces frame your face very well- maybe it is the way your are posing/holding the hair? I don't know- it looks cute! I will look again now...

Thank you, RealLuv!

I used a jet black rinse about 3/4 months before I got my tex and I loved it, although the process was so messy! But I think it had rinsed out by the time I took those pics. I wanna see pics of your curls- I'm sure they are a great length now!!

model_chick717

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
MC,
Your hair looks a lot like my friend's used to look. Natural she was a 3c/4a or maybe just 3c and when I first met her she had texturized hair *she thought it was just relaxed though*, she wore it straight mostly, but sometimes wore it curly. Then she went natural towards the end of last year, she then got her hair relaxed a couple of mths ago and now her hair won't curl back up anymore and she's pissed. She really wanted a texturizer not a relaxer.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the worse--when you have to start ALL OVER. I'd be pissed too. That's why I just do it myself.

model_chick717

[ QUOTE ]
Tonya said:
[ QUOTE ]
model_chick717 said:
[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hair looks great Seng.

That's what i was always thinking -- how do they get the hair to come out to look the exact same as the hair that was previously texturized. You know what i mean?? since it's not a full relaxer and youre trying to loosen and not straighten the hair completely. I wondered if there were ever any problems or mishaps. If i was texturized i think i would be ready to strangle somebody if the rest of my texturized hair was looking cool and then they just jacked up my touch up by getting the newgrowth super straight.
but everyones hair i've seen looks good.
-- jainygirl

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the one hazard with texturizing, IMO. I usually re-touch my hair about every 3-4 months, usually have to go over it again after about 6-8 months to get it exactly at the texture that I like. For me, I tend to underprocess, so at some point I go over it again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I agree with this.....the last time I texturized was the first time I got a "perfect curl" but at the same time it is still allot tighter than I desire it to be. Relaly when I texturize now my drade does not really change that much form my natural hair texture. I am too afriad to overlap...you have maintained thickeness ,that is encouraging...is your natural hair really coarse...or should I say strong? Meaning have you always been able to tolerate color and relaxers or what not without your hair thinning? While my hair is hell thick NOW color treatments and relaxers can thin it out easily if I do not keep at my protein and moisturizing treatments. (thanks Tracy)

[/ QUOTE ]

Tonya--my natural hair is really thick even when I had relaxed hair...and it is pretty strong. It is pretty resistant to all chemicals it seems. Even when I was relaxed, or considered myself to be, my hair still was never bone straight and I couldn't wear styles like wraps/doobies because the stylist would say that I'd have to be under the dryer FOREVER--so she would just flat iron and tell me to wrap it when I got home...haha But since I'm texturized, I feel more comfortable with the double-process (texturizer and color) only because I feel my hair can handle it since it is still very close to it's natural state. I probably would be hesitant to color my hair if it was fully relaxed. I'm always afraid of my hair getting thinned out!

skegeesmb

As a natural head, I was a soft 3c/b (very small b area), 4a. I like that description Oshun, because my hair isn't silky in a lot of places, but it is soft.

Texturized my hair is a 3b/c (medium amount of c). It has loosened the curls considerably. But the hair that grows out of my scalp is still 3c/b 4a. Nothing will change that, but appearance wise, my hair looks like a 3b.

I've been transitioning for almost 6 months now, and I see my 3bc/4a emerging.

sengschick

The Bun Master
[ QUOTE ]
OshunCurls said:
LOL @ Sengs!

In the "Emergencee" pic the pieces frame your face very well- maybe it is the way your are posing/holding the hair? I don't know- it looks cute! I will look again now...

[/ QUOTE ]
Shoot I had to go back and look myself!!!
I see what you mean. It was in a clip or pinned in the back. The front does fall that way naturally.
The very front was always a victim of abuse (color, perimeter relaxing back in the day, etc.), so it's behind the rest of the hair. It's doing better than it ever has now
. See how sweet you are? Pointing out the postive things I never see!

Tonya

MC...my hair was liek that relaxed too....that may be why it thinned out so bad. Even when I got roller wraps at the salon...they had to flat iron or surl it as welll because they could never get my hair bone straight. One stylist relaxed me every 4 weeks.....this is one reason I do my own texturizers...for soem reason in memphis...the sylists think that texturized and relaxed is the same thing....

model_chick717

Yeah, that's why I do everything myself too! When I USE to go to the salon when I had relaxed hair--she would put the perm on my head and wouldn't take it off until I was "burning"...which is crazy because it takes alot for me to burn--it's a wonder I was never ********...

(sorry to hijack
)

Tai

It's very easy to overprocess texturized hair. I had always done my own except for once. I had highlights done and I had my stylist do my touch up. She left it in too long and the back of my hair is wavy instead of curly like it is in the front. I have a couple of wavy pieces up front, too.

Queenie

Model Chick, that is one of the reasons why I stopped going to the professionals.

My type is 4a naturally. Right now it is 2c.

alibi

hair bored
[ QUOTE ]
Queenie said:

[/ QUOTE ]

See, this REALLY confuses me!!!
How is it possible to go from a 4a to a 2c??? Doesn't texturizing only loosen what you already have? It seems like 4a hair would be totally straight by the time it got near a 2c. Please don't take offense Queenie, I'm not attacking you, just asking for info b/c this typing thing is confusing!
How does your hair look after it's texturized?

sengschick

The Bun Master
I think that's what we're still trying to figure out Ayanapooh. Some of my curls are texturized so the do look like a looser version of what I had naturally. I think, and THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, I think when you go beyond that you are fully relaxed (moving towards straight). I think most 3-4a hair when relaxed can keep some wave. A 2c is a wave and not a curl, so to me texturizing curly hair would leave you w/a curl, not a wave. I think 4b's report having straight hair when it is relaxed. I clearly recall having hair that wasn't bone straight while wet when I was fully relaxed in the past, but it certainly wasn't texturized either

model_chick717

[ QUOTE ]
Queenie said:
Model Chick, that is one of the reasons why I stopped going to the professionals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I here ya, Queenie...

ayanapooh--I think it is possible to go from 4a to a 2c. When I was what I considered relaxed, my hair when airdried was like a 2c--loose waves...but I considered myself relaxed though...((shrug))

Tai

My overprocessed texturized hair looks wavy, like in the 2c range if I don't add any products to it. But with curl enhancing products and scrunching, I can get it to curl up more.
Your hair can end up looking like various hair types after texturizing it. Some don't have any curl at all, some people's curls look the same as they did before without as much shrinkage, and some end up looking like a completely different hair type than what they started with before texturizing.

model_chick717

[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
If you have no curls left after 'texturizing', isn't that really relaxing? Where's the line?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so. I think she just used that to show that some textures won't even "texturize" when texturized, i.e. 4b...

Tai

Depending on your hair type, you could technically have texturized hair. Some 4b hair will turn straight, no matter how mild or how brief the texturizer is left in their hair. For some 4b's, the Z shape will not turn into a curl. But their hair is not bone straight because the texturizer was mild & not left in their hair long enough to truly straighten it.
A former friend texturized her 4b hair and it just left her hair with less shrinkage but she had absolutely no curl whatsoever.