For those who use biotin...

Kurlee

How long did it take for the itchies to go away. I tried PP's SUper Biotin (5000 mcg)and my body (skin) is not liking it, way too itchy!!!

MochaEyeCandy

I started taking the same brand of Biotin about 2 days ago and haven't experienced and increase in the itchies. I also drink 100oz of water a day, so maybe that has something to do with it.

hottopic

I got the itching after a few days, but then as sudden as it came it left. It might itch for a day or two, but it will go away. I drink alot of water....and had not really had any bad side effects.

Candy_C

karamel11 said:
How long did it take for the itchies to go away. I tried PP's SUper Biotin (5000 mcg)and my body (skin) is not liking it, way too itchy!!!

well i'm glad everybody elses went awaybut istill have mine! 2 weeks on! but u know what, if your scalp is itching its a sign of growth with these biotin. so bear with it and clean your scalp thoroughly when you shampoo (just one blob but a gooood massage)

Suri

So it was the biotin :look:

I have eczema and I thought it was that. They make tiny round circles too. Yeah mine are slowing down a bit. Since I started, I upped the dose from 1000 - 3,000. I am not sure what the limit it or if increasing will cause itchies again.

atlien

A little off topic but if you guys are taking mcg those are micromilligrams, it takes 1,000 mcg to make 1mg. If you want a strong dosage get the mg not mcg. I read somwhere that 3-5mg of biotin a day is more then enough.

I just started taking biotin and have not experienced any itching. If I did I probably still would take it, the lady in the vitamin shoppe encouraged me she turned around and her hair was down to the floor..she didn't have to say a word.

Kurlee

It started with my scalp which i could tolerate but for the past two days its been my whole body! im hoping it will subside soon, if not i think im gonna have to lower the dose. My skin looks like its this close to breaking out in hives, and that is not cute...

tal

karamel11 said:
It started with my scalp which i could tolerate but for the past two days its been my whole body! im hoping it will subside soon, if not i think im gonna have to lower the dose. My skin looks like its this close to breaking out in hives, and that is not cute...

I think there's a little more to this than meets the eye. I don't ever recall anyone posting about the itchies and indicating their whole body was affected. I'm wondering if you are experiencing an allergic reaction.

Try to look at everything you are taking to determine if anything else could be the culprit. Especially look at anything new you started taking around the same time. This is not a positive thing and I would probably reconsider taking this if your analysis points to the biotin as the reason for your all-over-the-body itching and the potential to break out in hives. Once the symptoms have subsided consider taking much lower doses to see what's your tolerance level.

What else are you taking and how much biotin, if any, do they contain? Then add up your total biotin consumption, because it's quite possible that you are consuming much more than you think.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Kurlee

Thanks for all ur replies ladies. In response to Tal, all the other vitamins i have been taking for over a year so i know its not them and i have taken biotin(1mg) before and had a mild breakout on the face which went away after a while. Oh, i jus started horsetail too after hearing about it on the board. SO i guess its either the horsetail or the higher dosage of biotin. It like a rash kinda. Little teeny tiny bumps like heat bumps sorta, but they look like if i scratch them they'll get hivey....

*ElleB

OMG!!!!

Thats what it is!!!!!! I'm over scratching the creepy crawlies off me....:eek: I don't know if I can take it!!! :nono:

peacelove

Bumping this - I just started taking this 3 days ago and I have the itches on my face and ears. I get itchy anyway in the winter, but not really the summer. I thought it was just the humidity and the sweat from exercise. But I think the biotin is contributing.

So it does go away? I really don't want to give up this suppliment.

lana

If your body doesn't like it I would stop taking it. Listen to your body. But can I also recommend switching brands. I was taking Puritan's Pride only 500mcg of Biotin and it broke my face out - like one big bump in the middle of my forehead or on my chin. So I quit -after 3 months - finally a year later I'm on Nature's Pride and I take about 2mg a day (4 times the previous amount) and do you know I haven't had a problem? I also drink a lot of water.

I avoid taking Biotin during my monthly because I'm more prone to break outs at that time. But that's it.

I had this itchy crawly scalp but I thought it was just time to take out my sew in. I washed my hair and it went away. Oh and EPO makes my scalp literally crawl. If that's a good thing...I guess I should start taking it again. (laughs)

Brownshugaz

whaaaat??? I was going to take this stuff but not if it feels like things are crawling on me? How common is this side effect and does anyone know why it happens?

Sassygoddess

tal said:
I think there's a little more to this than meets the eye. I don't ever recall anyone posting about the itchies and indicating their whole body was affected. I'm wondering if you are experiencing an allergic reaction.

Try to look at everything you are taking to determine if anything else could be the culprit. Especially look at anything new you started taking around the same time. This is not a positive thing and I would probably reconsider taking this if your analysis points to the biotin as the reason for your all-over-the-body itching and the potential to break out in hives. Once the symptoms have subsided consider taking much lower doses to see what's your tolerance level.

What else are you taking and how much biotin, if any, do they contain? Then add up your total biotin consumption, because it's quite possible that you are consuming much more than you think.

Good luck.

No it is the Biotin, i also took it and had all over body itch. i stopped taking the plain biotin and took a multiviatimin that had biotin and i'm not itching. i think my dose was too high.

Chinagem

I've been taking Freeda brand d-biotin 10mg for four days. I haven't experienced any itchies yet and I hope I never do. It would drive me crazy.

lana

I just thought I had a bug crawling in my hair. I was really worried and I wasn't in a place where I could swat my head (which I don't usually do, but I thought there was a knat in my hair) anyways I lightly patted my head and made sure nothing was crawling around up there.

Anyways that only happened once (laughs)

redruby

i think the key is to start with a smaller dosage, so your body can get used to it, gradually increase the dosage and very importantly drink alot of water. so your body can flush out the excess biotin from your system.

prettykinks

Currently I am taking 1mg of Biotin. I want to up the dose to 2mg but I have only been taking it for a week and a half. Is it too soon to up the does? Also I haven't had any itchies or any other side effect. :)

snoopy1me

I don't about the other brands...but I went to gnc and the biotin 600 mg was like 633% the daily value needed....so does anyone worry about taking significanly more than the daily recommended value? Just a question out of curiousity.

caribeandiva

Human being
my scalp used to itch even before i started taking Biotin so i don't know if it's causing more itching or what. i take 4000 mcg a day.

pet

I take 3mg a day and my hair was itching before I took Biotin, so now it's normal to me..lol I do think when I first started to take them like a month and a half ago my head did itch more than usual.

caribeandiva

Human being
since i learned that overdosing on a vitamin does nothing to help my hair, i'm back to taking 1000 mcg (the recommended amount on the bottle) a day.

Tanisha

Has anyone experienced a sort of heat rash around their necks? I started taking Biotin last week (3,000 mcg) and my skin that is usually really smooth and soft started having these heat bumps around my neck. It was also itching a lot, I stopped taking the Biotin and now the heat bumps are going away. It was weird, I think I'll try a different supplement.

KeraKrazy

Thickness before length
I'm having the same problem, my skin is itching everywhere not just my scalp and I have tiny heat rash like bumps on my face and shoulders, I was taking 1mcg but I've recently decided to stop taking it cos this has been happening for a week now and is showing no signs of easing up. I think I must be allergic to it.