Former disillusioned church member: I am so proud of my church...

mango387

Over a year ago, I "joined" a pretty traditional, predominately black Baptist church here in the South. While I tend to consider myself to be more contemporary in nature, I felt like God wanted me to become a member of this particular church. Anyway, there are a few posts floating around about my past disillusionment with church, church people, and churchgoing in general, so please keep that in mind as you read further.

Although I like this church, sometimes I feel like I subconsciously look for a reason to dislike it (I know. I know, but I have still have some scars). On that note, I was wondering if my church, as a whole, was going to do anything to support Haiti. Well, guess what? God allowed a little more of my faith to be restored today.

- My pastor has worked for the power company for over twenty years, and he and a few of his co-workers are leading an effort to be sent to Haiti to help restore its infrastructure. He volunteered in MS after Katrina devastated parts of the state, so he wants to use his experience in disaster relief in Haiti. Moreover, he encouraged every church member to do whatever he/she could to help Haiti whether individually or through the church in the context of being not just human beings, but neighbors as well.

-The church is also collecting donations to be sent to Haiti, and one of the trustees actually gave out the coordinator's personal cell phone number to make sure that no one had an excuse not to give. (They never give out numbers like that).

Some of you may be thinking "That's what churches are supposed to do anyway, so why is that special?" Of course, you are right, but everyone knows that some churches/pastors are very selfish. I know my church is not perfect, but I am thankful that love and compassion is stressed so much there. Anyway, I am waiting on my check that should be here on Tuesday, so I can give. (I overspent big time during the holidays, and I normally only get paid once a month:look:).

Last edited:

Prudent1

It feels good to know that not every pastor is up to no good:yep:! I think we have all been burned in some capacity by unscrupulous ppl or even unintentionally but hurt none-the-less by those claiming to "Luv the Lawd". I'm so glad my parents always taught us to respect the pastor but reminded us in an appropriate manner, that they were still human and we were to look to God and God alone for perfection. Our church collected an offering too and 2 of the companies some of the members are employed by (major companies in the area) are matching the money we collected! Now, I pray it gets to those who need it the most w/o redtape etc quickly.