Church - Mandatory?

Must a person have a 'church home'?

• Yes, everyone should have a church home.

Votes: 34 69.4%
  • No, worship alone or visiting different churchs is okay.

Votes: 15 30.6%

• Total voters

PocaNJ

I am a member of a Christian womens group, and during one of our last meetings, a discussion came up regarding having a church home. So, I was just wondering.....

How many of you feel that a person MUST belong to a church (as a member)/have a church home? Is it okay for a person to worship alone or with family, or even just visit different churches?

PaperClip

I voted yes.

I believe it's necessary to have spiritual accountability. There are no examples in the Bible of sheep just wandering around without a shepherd, relatively speaking. However, this does not free us from having and cultivating a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Poca1229 said:
I am a member of a Christian womens group, and during one of our last meetings, a discussion came up regarding having a church home. So, I was just wondering.....

How many of you feel that a person MUST belong to a church (as a member)/have a church home? Is it okay for a person to worship alone or with family, or even just visit different churches?
A church home keeps us 'settled' the same as having a 'natural' home. We must all have a 'spiritual covering' over our lives. We are not our own 'leaders' per say.

While we are accountable for ourselves, we still need the care and feeding of a Pastor and Church family. The same as a child who needs parents to keep watch over them...we need a home church.

For all we like sheep who have gone astray...

When / if we stray, who will come to search for us and bring us back into the fold? We need a home where we are loved.

Plenty

My thoughts, however biased they may be:

I have achieved so much spiritucal growth outside of church.

I have never felt at home at any chruch.

I am not a sheep. :ohwell:

I do read a plethera of self help books and I am extremely careful of the people I associate with. VERY CAREFUL.

I am thus far happy and spiritually fulfilled with out a church.

PS: I used to listen to Joel Osteen as my substitude for church, then I realized that he was quoting from the same selfhelp books that read. Oh~:eek: Betcha didn't know that did you.

Home is where the heart. As long as you have the Lord in your heard you are safe anywhere.

Last edited:

BeaLady

You Should not Must belong to a church home.

You're putting a lot of people in bondage by saying that they must be a member of a church.

What about those people who are between churches. I left a church and was searching for a new church home when my friend told me that I was saved and out fellowship because I wasn't a member of a church. We left our church at the same time and immediately joined a church just so she could be a member somewhere.

I am currently without a church home again but I know God is still with me.

alexstin

BeaLady said:

You're putting a lot of people in bondage by saying that they must be a member of a church.

What about those people who are between churches. I left a church and was searching for a new church home when my friend told me that I was saved and out fellowship because I wasn't a member of a church. We left our church at the same time and immediately joined a church just so she could be a member somewhere.

I didn't get the feeling they were referring to those looking for a church home. Finding a church home isn't something that should be done lightly. Good for you for taking the time to find the place God has for you.

Looking for a church home is different from those who've decided they don't need to be apart of one church body.

PaperClip

I don't think there was any implication that being without a church home equates to being without the Lord. The Lord does have a pattern though. He doesn't send or lead anybody without a destination, even if that destination is unknown to the person at that moment. And even if you're "between" churches for a variety of reasons, and there's still relationship and fellowship with the Lord, the Lord will lead and guide that person to a church home that will be a best fit for them, a place of spiritual refuge, covering, protection, safety. A place to assemble with other believers. A place where the Lord has set one ACCOUNTABLE to HIM.

St. John 21 14:15 talks about Jesus' words to Simon Peter about feeding the sheep. Who was Jesus speaking about? The people, the human beings who would come into salvation.

15So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
16He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

Feed them, take care of them, nurture them, protect them.

BeaLady

I understand your points ladies but there is a problem when someone says you MUST belong to a church.

When I joined one church I visited for a year before I joined. To someone on the outside i could be perceived that I had no intention of ever joining a church.

Currently I am without a church home and have not been visiting. Someone could assume that I had no interest of finding a church home.

It's not that easy distinguishing.

PaperClip

BeaLady said:
I understand your points ladies but there is a problem when someone says you MUST belong to a church.

When I joined one church I visited for a year before I joined. To someone on the outside i could be perceived that I had no intention of ever joining a church.

Currently I am without a church home and have not been visiting. Someone could assume that I had no interest of finding a church home.

It's not that easy distinguishing.

Dear BeaLady, I'm not trying to be funny, but have you/are you asking the Lord if the church you sat in for 12 MONTHS should be your church home? I mean seriously.... I humbly believe it doesn't take the Lord ALL DAY or 12 months to either say, Yes, this is the place or No, this is not the place, and move on.... Please forgive me if I'm being insensitive. I'm just saying that I gotta believe that at some point, there's a proverbial meeting of the minds between God and the individual (in general) with regard to connecting with a local church body. I mean, maybe there's some unconscious resistance going on with regard to church membership that happened in the past, I don't know.

I know that the Lord deals with each of us in His own way, sovereignly. Again, I don't mean to be insensitive. I'm just speaking directly, and could be doing so in complete ignorance on the matter.

BeaLady

No, you're not being insensitive at all. You are making my point.

Evidently that wasn't the church for me because although it took me a year to join I remained a member for 18 yrs. before deciding to leave. Many people are leaving this church. We got a new musician and he said that, "I missed God and wound up here".

I do believe it's best to be in a church and it may not take a year but I strongly disagree when someone says you MUST be a member of a church.

There may be an unconscious resistance because of experiences I've had at churches.

PaperClip

BeaLady said:
No, you're not being insensitive at all. You are making my point.

Evidently that wasn't the church for me because although it took me a year to join I remained a member for 18 yrs. before deciding to leave. Many people are leaving this church. We got a new musician and he said that, "I missed God and wound up here".

I do believe it's best to be in a church and it may not take a year but I strongly disagree when someone says you MUST be a member of a church.

There may be an unconscious resistance because of experiences I've had at churches.

Oohh... ok... it helps to understand that you were at a church for that length of time and now you've decided to leave. I was there this summer in that I wanted to leave my church as well, after 17 years. What I knew for sure was that my pastors have (and still do) labor well. They are my spiritual parents. I had some recent encounters with other members that made me want to leave, but I could not let go of the fact that the Lord had called me to that church, and so I couldn't let anybody run me out of there.

I felt that I had outgrown the church SOCIALLY, in terms of fellowshipping with people of common interests (I'm a graduate student, and probably the other graduate students I can count on one hand). But I knew I had not outgrown my church SPIRITUALLY. There's still an awesome word of the Lord coming from the pulpit. I'm still learning and discovering deeper things about the Lord. I still feel the power of the Lord in the place. There are still signs, wonders, and miracles flowing. I still have ministry assignments to fulfill at this church. But I had gotten BURNED OUT. It's the classic Martha vs. Mary dillemma. But after this summer, which found me on the BRINK of going into a backslidden state, the grace of God (and a couple of the members who heard from the Lord) stayed in touch with me and gently encouraged me and I slowly but surely renewed my connection to my local church. I have told myself that I, like Mary did, will now choose the better part. So I stay on that altar and focus on ministry stuff. I sing on the praise team and I'm an intercessor.

Southernbella.

I don't think church is mandatory for everyone, but I do think some people do better when they are a part of a church body. It just depends on where you are in your walk, IMO.

cocoberry10

Plenty said:
PS: I used to listen to Joel Osteen as my substitude for church, then I realized that he was quoting from the same selfhelp books that read. Oh~:eek: Betcha didn't know that did you.

I don't usually like to clown ministers, but this is quite hilarious to me :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I saw him this summer during one of his "An Evening With Joel Osteen." While I enjoyed the service (singing, praising, etc.) There was a part when he was going to talk about his daddy ("when my daddy died.."). He put his head in a big handkerchief and everyone in the audience was like "it's okay Joel." For some reason at that moment, I turned to my mom and said "I think that was rehearsed." I don't know why, b/c I like Joel Osteen, but it just didn't seem natural??? :eek:

PinkPebbles

I was lead by God to my church home and from my personal experience there is a differrence from randomly visiting churches and having a church home.

I attend a Mega church so I don't speak or shake my pastor's hand every Sunday...LOL...which is okay with me. But if I need understanding, knowledge, or sound wisdom about my journey in life or something I'm going through...My pastor always bring the word of God that is relative to my situation that gives me edification. You would think he was a fly on the wall when I pray to God or just simply studying the bible on my own. Now that's the power of belonging to a church home.

Church home to me means being spiritually connected to a man/woman of God. I believe that our God given assignments/destiny/ purpsoe in life is tied up with a man/woman of God (church home) that God has joined us with!

I have so many personal testimonies...but I'll stop right here!

cocoberry10

lauren450 said:
I don't think church is mandatory for everyone, but I do think some people do better when they are a part of a church body. It just depends on where you are in your walk, IMO.

I agree with this. I do think that it's for most people's benefit to be in a church home, but I realize that God exists everywhere. I am kind of "in between churches" right now myself. Although I go each Sunday, I haven't "settled." And even if you find a church home, there's nothing wrong with visiting other churches, IMO. I do this.

Each church tends to have a specific focus, so it's always to your benefit to visit a few churches before deciding which one is right, unless the Holy Spirit leads you to a specific church.

Lusa

Personally, I find that having a home church keeps me grounded and I am able to grow. I did the whole church hopping routine in college while I was trying to find a place to fit in, and I think I lost a lot of myself and missed out on opportunities to grow.

And not to be paranoid but you never what kind of churches you are visiting, and what you can be opening yourself up to.

blazingthru

I believe its good to have a regular church home but I also believe that its good to visit other churchs often. There is a scripture that says not to give up on meeting with the body, as others are so quick to do but I can't find it for nothing. I read it all the time and now that I need it I can't find it. It was drilled into my head years ago when I was going to the International churches of Christ. That ensure that we went to every single service no matter when or where. I had to travel 2 hours there and back a couple of times. Never miss it. I left a few years ago. The accountability was really to much.

BeaLady

Trudy said:
I believe its good to have a regular church home but I also believe that its good to visit other churchs often. There is a scripture that says not to give up on meeting with the body, as others are so quick to do but I can't find it for nothing. I read it all the time and now that I need it I can't find it. It was drilled into my head years ago when I was going to the International churches of Christ. That ensure that we went to every single service no matter when or where. I had to travel 2 hours there and back a couple of times. Never miss it. I left a few years ago. The accountability was really to much.

"not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another...." Heb. 10-:25

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
BeaLady said:
"not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another...." Heb. 10-:25
I was thinking about the blessings of my being in a church home.

I became 'fixed' and 'centered' upon God's word. The word which delivered my son from drugs. The word of God which kept him alive. This same world which gave my daughter a loving husband and 4 beautiful healthy children. For blessed is the fruit of her body. It was the word that carried her through 3 C sections. It was the word reinforced by sitting under an assigned Pastor

Romans 10:13-14

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a Preacher?

firecracker

Plenty said:
My thoughts, however biased they may be:

I have achieved so much spiritucal growth outside of church.

I have never felt at home at any chruch.

I am not a sheep. :ohwell:

I do read a plethera of self help books and I am extremely careful of the people I associate with. VERY CAREFUL.

I am thus far happy and spiritually fulfilled with out a church.

Home is where the heart. As long as you have the Lord in your heard you are safe anywhere.

What was that all about? Get a grip:lol: You don't have anything to prove here so what is up with all that madness little one?

firecracker

RelaxerRehab said:
Dear BeaLady, I'm not trying to be funny, but have you/are you asking the Lord if the church you sat in for 12 MONTHS should be your church home? I mean seriously.... I humbly believe it doesn't take the Lord ALL DAY or 12 months to either say, Yes, this is the place or No, this is not the place, and move on.... Please forgive me if I'm being insensitive. I'm just saying that I gotta believe that at some point, there's a proverbial meeting of the minds between God and the individual (in general) with regard to connecting with a local church body. I mean, maybe there's some unconscious resistance going on with regard to church membership that happened in the past, I don't know.

I know that the Lord deals with each of us in His own way, sovereignly. Again, I don't mean to be insensitive. I'm just speaking directly, and could be doing so in complete ignorance on the matter.

God reveal things to all of us a differing times, seasons and reasons. Who are we to say what is enough or not enough time to know something? What is for you is for you and what is for someone else is for someone else. Hopefully she will find a loving fulfilling church home. Please don't join one just to say I have a church home though. :look:

PaperClip

firecracker said:
God reveal things to all of us a differing times, seasons and reasons. Who are we to say what is enough or not enough time to know something? What is for you is for you and what is for someone else is for someone else. Hopefully she will find a loving fulfilling church home. Please don't join one just to say I have a church home though. :look:

Hey, firecracker.... You're right in that the Lord deals with us individually as our DNA and our voice print and our fingerprints make us unique....

And yet: there are times when we hear the answer and because it's the answer we don't want to hear, we dismiss it or ignore it. Or we simply DON'T ASK at all...and you know why? Asking requires ACCOUNTABILITY.... TRUST.... FAITH.... Sometimes we got our own plan and if we dare ask God for some guidance, He might say something different than what we wanted to do and then we pop an attitude and then the wicked downward spiral begins....

I'm not saying this out of what somebody told me.... I'm speaking from my heart and my real experience. And through my words, I'm hoping to encourage somebody who is in the midst of making an important decision is to just PUT IT ON THE TABLE BEFORE THE LORD... HE HEARS AND ANSWERS PRAYER.

1 John 5:14-15: "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him."

firecracker

RelaxerRehab said:
Hey, firecracker.... You're right in that the Lord deals with us individually as our DNA and our voice print and our fingerprints make us unique....

And yet: there are times when we hear the answer and because it's the answer we don't want to hear, we dismiss it or ignore it. Or we simply DON'T ASK at all...and you know why? Asking requires ACCOUNTABILITY.... TRUST.... FAITH.... Sometimes we got our own plan and if we dare ask God for some guidance, He might say something different than what we wanted to do and then we pop an attitude and then the wicked downward spiral begins....

I'm not saying this out of what somebody told me.... I'm speaking from my heart and my real experience. And through my words, I'm hoping to encourage somebody who is in the midst of making an important decision is to just PUT IT ON THE TABLE BEFORE THE LORD... HE HEARS AND ANSWERS PRAYER.

1 John 5:14-15: "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him."

That is so on point. :grin:

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
The bible tells us to fellowship together, we are put here to worship and glorify God, but we get the greatest benefit of this. The body of Christ is compared to the human body. A foot on its own, or a hand , or whatever is useless with out the other parts. There is no subsitute for the spiritual connection you get from corporate worship, when all the members come together as one body. IMO, when we are seperate for too long we start to compare our behavior to the world instead of to Christ and start to consider certain actions as appropriate because so many in the world engage in them. You wont go to hell if you skip church, and I havent gone regularly for years, but I dont think I live as victoriously as I would with regular attendance. If you are looking for a church home, or feel you are being led to attend, pray and ask for God's guidance. He wont let you down.

pebbles

Enchantmt said:
The bible tells us to fellowship together, we are put here to worship and glorify God, but we get the greatest benefit of this. The body of Christ is compared to the human body. A foot on its own, or a hand , or whatever is useless with out the other parts. There is no subsitute for the spiritual connection you get from corporate worship, when all the members come together as one body. IMO, when we are seperate for too long we start to compare our behavior to the world instead of to Christ and start to consider certain actions as appropriate because so many in the world engage in them. You wont go to hell if you skip church, and I havent gone regularly for years, but I dont think I live as victoriously as I would with regular attendance. If you are looking for a church home, or feel you are being led to attend, pray and ask for God's guidance. He wont let you down.

I think I'll just follow you around the forum and give you a high-five whenever you post!!:D Beautifully stated!! :up:

BeaLady

firecracker said:
Thank you for understanding.

Relaxer Rehab, you are very correct in saying that many times we don't want to hear the answers that God gives us. The problem with saying that is that we sometimes apply to others situation when we don't really know how God may be dealing with them.

I am not going to join a church just to be a member and yet, after my experiences, I feel like just being a pew member and not get involved with anything or anyone. I know this is the wrong attitude and that is one of the things that God is dealing with me about. I have no temptation to go back in the world and I a still fellowship with the saints(all my friends are saved).

I've had people telling me that I am no longer saved because I am not a member of a church. Others have told me that I am in sin and can't serve God if I'm not in church. I still witness, console and assist people when the opportunity presents itself. Serving God is not just being a part of the usher board.

I know many church folk who are involved in multiple ministries in the church and are only surrounded by their family. Many of them overlook the person in the pew because they are not a part of their circle. Some of these people also never do any type of ministry outside of the building.

MrsHouston

lauren450 said:

I see that you only have "11" more days to go. I know you are very excited!

I think some people who move to new areas have a tough time fitting in to new churches and this cause them to not get involved. At my old church I was there just about every time the doors open, happily. However, at this new church I don't feel apart of it even though the members of the congregation are very nice to me.

motherx2esq

AMEN! Me too! It is hard to find a church home where you feel at home.

motherx2esq

I'm sorry but I do not agree with this. I have been without a church home for some time now and I am no more worldly than I was when I was in church. I still have my faith and my walk with God. My praising has not change, my worship has not changed, my walk has not changed. I still fill myself with the word of God and the spirit fills me day in and day out.