Game Changers Along Your Hair Journey

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hi!

Have you experienced what you would call a personal hair "game changer" on your hair journey? If so, what product, demo video, tool, technique, style, website, etc. changed the game for you? Feel free to discuss more than one.

If you desire, feel free to include the following so as to help fellow HHJers. :)

Natural, transitioning, texlaxed, or relaxed?:

Hair porosity, if you know it:

Hair's density (high, low, or medium per square inch of scalp):

Hair's curl pattern(s):

Hair's length stretched and unstretched:

Other:

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
Finding out that my hair is low porosity and tailoring my reg to fit was the biggest game changer for me. I'm relaxed (2x a yr with no-lye) and using ORS aloe shampoo was another game changer for me. Giving up heat was a huge game changer, my hair stays moistuized between washes and I'm retaining length.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Game changer(s) thus far:
  1. Learning that shampoo is NOT good for my natural hair. It wreaks HAVOC on my moisture-protein balance. I had NO idea. With my relaxed hair, frequent sudsy shampooing was AWESOME for my hair. Lo poo even is not the best for my hair. No poo or water only washing all the way.
  2. Prepooing and oil rinsing.
  3. When I must shampoo, shampooing only my scalp and not my strands. GENIUS! I use an applicator bottle to apply the shampoo to my scalp.
  4. Clay detoxifying, conditioning, and washing is AH-MAZING. I was so skeptical at first. (Another THING! Uggh!) But it rocks. It leaves my hair in EXCELLENT condition.
  5. Detangling in sections . . . and doing MANY things in sections. My hair is simply too dense to operate otherwise.
  6. Oyin Hair Dew. NOTHING else moisturizes my hair for multiple days. It's magic on my hair.
  7. Shea Moisture's High Porosity Masque. I will NEVER be without it as long as they make it. I can detangle with it, and when I deep condition with it, my hair is its happiest. It heals my hair no matter WHAT is going on with it.
  8. The Anthony Dickey Method of washing and wearing with the goal of maintaining max hydration.
  9. Stylist Angela Hicks. She's a natural hair magician.
  10. Crochet braids as a protective style. Very natural-looking. Super healthy for the hair.

Natural

High

VERY high

Hair's curl pattern(s):
4a mainly, with 3c at the front

Stretched: Chin- and shoulder-length
Unstretched: Ear-length and above

Other:

Last edited:

GGsKin

Natural

Low- Normal

Medium

Hair's curl pattern(s):
4c/4b

In a wash and go, my longest length hangs around neck/shoulder.
Stretched- I haven't stretched my hair with heat in 2 years. When I pull on the bottom section, I think it reaches APL.

The biggest game changers for me was stumbling across the Maximum Hydration Method website and then finding this forum. Although I no longer do all the original steps, MHM formed the building blocks of my hair regimen (been wearing wng consistently for two years, with short wig breaks). And this place gave me a space to learn, share with others and adapt when necessary.

I never really had trouble with my hair until I caused some and here, I've been able to learn a lot that has steered me down a good path thus far.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
Natural

Probably normal porosity. I think at one point I was normal to high.

Medium density.

Hair's curl pattern(s):
3/4 mix. Mostly 3c/4a. Pic in siggy.

Currently I am APL stretched, SL unstretched.

Game changers:
Using sections has probably been the biggest game changer for me overall. My hair wouldn't retain length as well in my type 4 sections because I wasn't sectioning off my hair, which caused me to be too rough. I saw an almost immediate improvement in length retention overall, but especially in my kinky sections, once I started sectioning off my hair. Now all of my hair gets moisturized, I can clean my scalp more easily, and all of my hair gets thoroughly detangled.

Once I started adding a generous amount of safflower oil to my conditioner (high in ceramides, my favorite oil) I noticed how much softer my hair dried and my hair felt nourished and completely moisturized. I had almost no split ends while doing this. It's kind of like a hot oil treatment/oil rinse every time you do your hair.

I have fallen off from doing this for the past year or so, but I just started using a scented oil blend as a leave-in, and my hair feels really good and soft. I started getting mid-shaft splits which has never been a problem for me, plus I have more split ends than ever. I think my hair needs oil regularly. Butters dry out my hair, and creams don't really do much for my hair long term. I used to use oils and serums all the time, I am not sure why I fell off.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Natural, transitioning, texlaxed, or relaxed?: Natural

Hair porosity, if you know it: low

Hair's density (high, low, or medium per square inch of scalp): medium

Hair's curl pattern(s): mostly 4a with some 3c.

Hair's length stretched and unstretched: BSL at the longest point, below neck length unstretched.

1. Learning my porosity which helped me understand why some products/ingredients/methods work for me and why some dont.

2. Scalp Exfoliation. Exfoliating my scalp regularly with AHAs has soothed my scalp issues and allowed me to reduce how often I shampoo (keeping my hair more moisturized).

3. Clay washes. Clay washing gets my hair clean without stripping and helps clump my curls. Great for in between shampoos.

4. Eliminating silicones, butters, and other heavy, hard to clean ingredients. My hair is much easier to keep moist once I stopped using these ingredients (and the shampoos required to wash them out).

5. Gel. I learned that my hair does better using gel to seal and style versus other products. It's weighty enough to control my coarse strands, seal in moisture, and washes out cleanly. I dilute for softer hold or use it straight for firm hold.

6. GVP Conditioning Balm. Perfect as a DC, diluted for a leave in, or mixed with Neutral protein filler when I need a treatment. And it's cheap.

VictoriousBrownFlower

Have you experienced what you would call a personal hair "game changer" on your hair journey? If so, what product, demo video, tool, technique, style, website, etc. changed the game for you? Feel free to discuss more than one.

1. I've had a few game changers but the biggest and most influential game changer was cutting out heat. With little to no heat my hair has flourished in much less time than it took previously while using heat. My hair also looks thicker from root to tip.

2. Second was finding the right dc's for my hair needs. My hair loves moisture and doesn't need much protein. Finding moisturizing dc's with no protein that actually penetrate the hair shaft and moisturizes from within totally turned my hair around. I mean the texture, shine, and even color looks richer.

Example of change:
Relaxed:

Natural:

3. Last but not least finding the right technique to get consistant great wash and goes regardless of what product or how much I use has changed my natural hair game for sure. I was never able to get consistantly good results when I did wash and goes, and if I used too much product my hair would be thin, limp, and weighed down. Now that I know how to section my hair right to get fullness and definition regardless my hair turns out amazing every time.

Hair porosity, if you know it: high to normal

Hair's density (high, low, or medium per square inch of scalp): low

Hair's curl pattern(s): 3c/4a

Hair's length stretched and unstretched: Apl stretched. Shoulder length in back/ almost chin length in front

Other:

YvetteWithJoy

On break

Hair porosity, if you know it: low

Hair's density (high, low, or medium per square inch of scalp): medium

Hair's curl pattern(s): mostly 4a with some 3c.

Hair's length stretched and unstretched: BSL at the longest point, below neck length unstretched.

1. Learning my porosity which helped me understand why some products/ingredients/methods work for me and why some dont.

2. Scalp Exfoliation. Exfoliating my scalp regularly with AHAs has soothed my scalp issues and allowed me to reduce how often I shampoo (keeping my hair more moisturized).

3. Clay washes. Clay washing gets my hair clean without stripping and helps clump my curls. Great for in between shampoos.

4. Eliminating silicones, butters, and other heavy, hard to clean ingredients. My hair is much easier to keep moist once I stopped using these ingredients (and the shampoos required to wash them out).

5. Gel. I learned that my hair does better using gel to seal and style versus other products. It's weighty enough to control my coarse strands, seal in moisture, and washes out cleanly. I dilute for softer hold or use it straight for firm hold.

6. GVP Conditioning Balm. Perfect as a DC, diluted for a leave in, or mixed with Neutral protein filler when I need a treatment. And it's cheap.

What does AHAs mean? Thank you in advance!

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
1. recovering from product junky-ism
2. ceased following the regimen of others
3. sticking to what I know works
4. cleansing/conditioning/styling in sections

Natural

Normal to low

Depends which section I look at.

Hair's curl pattern(s):
Fractals/zig zags or 4s(something)

Stretched: Lip and shoulder-length
Unstretched: Ear to neck

AgeinATL

Hair porosity, if you know it: Low

Hair's density (high, low, or medium per square inch of scalp): High

Hair's curl pattern(s): Type 4

Hair's length: Stretched: MBL; Unstretched: SL

Game Changers:
1. As others have said, a major game changer for me was discovering my porosity. I could not understand why NOTHING worked for my hair. After I learned what to avoid, it has been smooth sailing ever since.
2. Products: Oyin Hair Dew, SM Superfruit and Sasha Inchi Masks, Bekura YAM Nectar. I cannot do without these products.
3. Technique: Finger detangling, Keeping my hair stretched, minimizing direct heat, the DIY steaming method, applying my products to damp hair, rinsing with tepid water.
4. Tools: Hercules Sagemann jumbo rake comb, tangle teezer, curlformers and French bouffant rollers

NaturalShe94

Natural

Normal (Medium)

Don't Know

Hair's curl pattern(s):
3B

Stretched: WL. Unstretched in a wash n go: Longest length is a BSL.

In my journey, the biggest game changer for me was Aphogee's 2 Step Protein Treatment. I always had a breakage problem, but never understood why.... My hair held moisture well, so what the heck was the problem??? After watching a million natural hair videos and googling everything, the one thing that kept coming up was doing a protein treatment. So, I went with the most recommended and my hair is in amazing shape. No breakage. I now use a poo and con that has cococut milk and egg whites in it (OGX) and switch up my deep conditioners between moisture based and more strengthing based..... Those were the biggest game changers for me.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Natural

High

High

Hair's curl pattern(s):
4a

Stretched BSL
Unstretched NL-SL

Major game changers for me were:

1. Knowing my porosity. I've always known I have LP hair, but it has helped me a lot more now that I'm natural. It's harder being an LP natural versus an LP relaxed head.
2. Maintaining a balanced regimen. LP heads do not need large amounts of protein, but that doesn't mean we need none at all. I've learned that even small amounts of protein in moisturizing conditioners work well for me over time and as long as I rotate them every few weeks or so. Because my hair holds moisture really well, it is very prone to moisture overload (which I suffered from before and isn't fun).
3. Knowing my ingredients and how to play with them. I can only use Shea Butter in deep conditioner. That's it. Aloe is tricky for me but I can only use it so far in DC and even that's funny. Avocado oil in DC acts like protein for me but in LI with a heavier oil or butter, it's great. Anything with cocoa butter or chocolate is likely to be a bust. My hair is finally tolerating glycerin and castor oil and loves honey.
3. Knowing the weather. That's he hardest part of my regimen and I have to adjust products accordingly.
4. So far clay washing. I've only tried it once, but I'm pretty much sold.
5. Sticking with staples. Never stray from a sure thing!
6. Finger detangling. Time consuming but worth the time.

KaciaLN12

I am a natural, high-porosity, 4a. I have medium-high density and I am a little past WL stretched (just finger pulled; haven't straightened in almost 3 years), and shoulder-CB length in any unstretched style.

Some of my game changers have been:
Finger detangling. I have been doing it exclusively for about 1.5 years and I have noticed considerable length retention and way less breakage/shed hair on wash day.

Covering my DC with coconut oil. It gives slip and it makes the hair feel more nourished and retain moisture better. Kind of like an oil rinse/hot oil treatment on top of DC-ing.

DC-ing with heat! Not body heat, but an external heat source (I use a bonnet blow dryer attachment). This is definitely a big game changer. My hair is softer, has less tangles and retains moisture better.

Curl activator gel as leave-in under gel for wash n gos. I could NEVER make wash n gos work for me. They would either be flaky, undefined, dull, dry or all of the above. I have found that curl activator gel mixes with EVERY gel, defines my hair, gives it long lasting moisture and actually gives my hair sheen/shine. I get defined, moisturized, shiny and long-lasting wash n gos that never flake! And if the hair gets dull or dry, I can just reactivate with some spritzes of water.

greenbees

Deep conditioning and moisturizing FAITHFULLY!! Once a week to deep condition and moisturize several times a week as needed. And my hair has flourished using low manipulaton styles. All I do now are braidouts and I've seen so much growth.

Natural
I dunno
Probably Medium but my individual strands are really fine
Hair's curl pattern(s):
4a mainly
Shoulder length unstretched and waist length (started to creep past that) stretched

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I am a natural, high-porosity, 4a. I have medium-high density and I am a little past WL stretched (just finger pulled; haven't straightened in almost 3 years), and shoulder-CB length in any unstretched style.

Some of my game changers have been:
Finger detangling. I have been doing it exclusively for about 1.5 years and I have noticed considerable length retention and way less breakage/shed hair on wash day.

Covering my DC with coconut oil. It gives slip and it makes the hair feel more nourished and retain moisture better. Kind of like an oil rinse/hot oil treatment on top of DC-ing.

DC-ing with heat! Not body heat, but an external heat source (I use a bonnet blow dryer attachment). This is definitely a big game changer. My hair is softer, has less tangles and retains moisture better.

Curl activator gel as leave-in under gel for wash n gos. I could NEVER make wash n gos work for me. They would either be flaky, undefined, dull, dry or all of the above. I have found that curl activator gel mixes with EVERY gel, defines my hair, gives it long lasting moisture and actually gives my hair sheen/shine. I get defined, moisturized, shiny and long-lasting wash n gos that never flake! And if the hair gets dull or dry, I can just reactivate with some spritzes of water.

Thank you for sharing all of this!!! I can't WAIT to trial some of this.

Last edited:

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
Natural, transitioning, texlaxed, or relaxed?: Relaxed

Hair porosity, if you know it: Low

Hair's density (high, low, or medium per square inch of scalp): Medium, I guess?

Hair's curl pattern(s): 4a

Hair's length stretched and unstretched: Currently APL

I have only been on the board and am still fully discovering my hair, but here are the things that have really made a difference in my hair since joining LHCF:

-Realizing that I am low porosity, and tailoring my regimen around that
-Learning how to do my own hair, because no one will care for my hair better than me
-Weekly washes. Sometimes I shampoo, sometimes I use a clarifying conditioner. But I can't go too long without washing. Product builds up easily on my hair and then I get breakage. Also it makes my scalp itch.
-Cutting out air drying. My hair won't absorb any type of moisturizer/leave in unless I dry it under the dryer.
-Needing heat for every DC. I can sit around with conditioner on my hair all day, but unless I add heat it does nothing.
-Drinking more water

Silverstreaks

Hair porosity, if you know it: not sure

Hair's density (high, low, or medium per square inch of scalp): low to medium - low and fine just behind ears with loose curls; medium everywhere else with highest density at the crown

Hair's curl pattern(s): medium to relatively tight - 3b to 4a range, maybe

Hair's length stretched and unstretched: stretched, just shy of waist (mostly bottom layers); unstretched-below collarbone

Other: got lots of micro layers, very fine texture, gray in the front along front hairline, a little scattered grays throughout, still mostly dark brown

My biggest game changer since starting my journey in 2009: cutting it back to my starting point in December 2013 and seeing an exponential difference in length in just 8 months (August 2014). Reaching nearly bra strap length (that took nearly 5 years the first time) in that amount of time after cutting it to collar bone length (my original 2009 starting point) made me realize the necessity of trims and getting rid of damage. When I first started, I did not trim or cut; I just attempted to let it grow - and it did. But, I did not reach my intended goal by my goal date (which would have been a full 5 years February 2014, hoping for fuller waist length, not expecting to to be completely, but to have a fair amount of hair that length). It was very uneven and loaded with fairy knots. After reaching bra strap length in 2014, I cut it back again in December of 2014 to below shoulder blade. By December 2015, it was mid back length. At that time, I chose to just search and destroy trim, particularly those areas that are the shortest that can't be reach by just trimming the hemline. As of now, my bottom layers are just shy of waist length. My goal for this year is to concentrate on continuing growing the shorter layers by continuing to focus on minimizing breakage and dryness in those areas.

The other game changer was using more protein to strengthen my hair. I just recently created my own home made conditioner that is based on a recipe I found (needs a little more tweaking). I also make my own detangling gel using boiled flaxseed gel and adding other ingredients. I also recently purchased a shampoo bar that leaves my hair phenomenally clean and not feeling stripped. I also tried bentonite and Rhassoul clays. They were also very helpful in cleansing.

My hair is completely natural and I use heat only once a year in December because of low humidity. I may skip heat this December altogether and just do a stretch length check.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword

Hair porosity, if you know it: Normal-to-high

Hair's density (high, low, or medium per square inch of scalp): high

Hair's curl pattern(s): 4A/B

Hair's length stretched and unstretched: 5-6" and ear/neck length?

Other: A bad habit of buzzing my hair off when I get lazy

Discovering the Curly Girl method retained my length.
Oil rinsing with castor oil and finger detangling produced coils.
Water with castor oil alone most days gave me hope I can get past three years without cutting my hair off again.

If I have one prayer for my hair, it is this one: Father Yah, You put this hair on my head; show me how to take care of it.

PerfectlyFlawed

Natural, transitioning, texlaxed, or relaxed?
Natural

Hair porosity, if you know it
low (one game changer)

Hair's density (high, low, or medium per square inch of scalp)
medium

Hair's curl pattern(s)
mostly 4a

Hair's length stretched and unstretched
Stretched: CBL/SL Unstretched: barely ear length

Other:
Finger detangling and Naptural85 30 min wash and go video both changed my life

Using the GHE after I moisturizer my hair while I'm getting ready for the day, having the plastic bag and hat on my head for like 15-20 mins helps my hair absorb my moisturizer then I put on oil and go

Lastly keeping my regiment simple, I low key became a pj looking for products to work for me, then it finally dawned on me that Its not that I'm using the wrong products, it's just take I'm using too many products and just doing way too much to my hair. My hair is happy with a clarifying shampoo, a mosturizing conditioner, bentonite clay and sweet almond oil.

Last edited:

PerfectlyFlawed

Hair porosity, if you know it: Normal-to-high

Hair's density (high, low, or medium per square inch of scalp): high

Hair's curl pattern(s): 4A/B

Hair's length stretched and unstretched: 5-6" and ear/neck length?

Other: A bad habit of buzzing my hair off when I get lazy

Discovering the Curly Girl method retained my length.
Oil rinsing with castor oil and finger detangling produced coils.
Water with castor oil alone most days gave me hope I can get past three years without cutting my hair off again.

If I have one prayer for my hair, it is this one: Father Yah, You put this hair on my head; show me how to take care of it.

I have the same problem, the only reason DF is ok with the yarn twists I do constantly because he knows he won't come home to me bald again lol

discodumpling

Natural

Porosity : i dont have the time to find out right now.

Hair type: nappy, kinky, curly, coarse affectionately called craps for curls mixed with napps.

Hair length: approaching APL again stretched. Unstretched i might as well be rocking a twa. But I love my hair!

Hair density: usually thin but thickening lately..ive been using castor oil in my oil mixes for a little over a year so I'll chalk it up to that.

Game changer: That wash n go life.
Ive been natural for almost a decade. Ive braided twisted, straightened, knotted, curled and everything else. However ive been wearing a wng almost exclusively for about 3 years! I love it and have no desire to do much of anything else with my hair.. .ever.

Last edited:

scarcity21

Natural

Porosity : i dont have the time to find out right now.

Hair type: nappy, kinky, curly, coarse affectionately called craps for curls mixed with napps.

Hair length: approaching APL again stretched. Unstretched i might as well be rocking a twa. But I love my hair!

Hair density: usually thin but thickening lately..ive been using castor oil in my oil mixes for a little over a year so I'll chalk it up to that.

Game changer: That wash n go life.
Ive been natural for almost a decade. Ive braided twisted, straightened, knotted, curled and everything else. However ive been wearing a wng almost exclusively for about 3 years! I love it and have no desire to do much of anything else with my hair.. .ever.
@discodumpling ,Are u type 4 and if yes don't u get ssk's when you wng?

discodumpling

@discodumpling ,Are u type 4 and if yes don't u get ssk's when you wng?

I haven't really put a number on my hair type. I cant call it! Yes I get ssks its just the nature of kinky crinkly coily hair. Anybody with any type of texture or curl who wears their hair in its natural state will get em. I live with em and trim if they become excessive.

sgold04

Natural
High
Medium-high
Hair's curl pattern(s):
4a
A little past MBL stretched, unstretched-past my shoulders
Other:
I
f I had to narrow it down, I'd say:
1. Detangling: Finger detangle with coconut oil, then a wide tooth comb with my hair slathered in conditioner
2. Washing & detangling in sections
3. DCing every wash day
4. Low-manipulation styles
5. Search and destroy & dusting (I do much less of this and my ends suffer for it).
6. Heat protectant when straightening and blow dry technique. The comb attachment can be MURDER on our strands.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Weekly wash or cowash followed by a 20 minute dc.

Keeping my hair stretched (tension blowdry, stretched braids, etc).

Using a Keratin treatment to strengthen and soften my strands.

Not using oils on my scalp

Nioxin scalp treatment nightly for thickness