Glycerin

sheedahp

Does anyone put glycerin on their hair? Its very thick but its suppose to be very good for dry and damaged hair. I have a bottle and before I mix it with my other oils I wanted to get some opinions, seems like it would weigh the hair down. Thanks!

msa

Glycerin is very popular here, if you do a search you'll see lots of threads. (You may have to search "glycerine" as well because people spell it differently.)

Anyway, the most common way I've seen it used is to mix vegetable glycerin with aloe vera juice (food grade) and use that as a moisturizing spray. You said yours is thick though, do you have the oil?

Just be aware that glycerin attracts moisture to the hair but if the atmosphere is too dry, then it will pull the moisture from your hair instead.

Aviah

I use Glycerin mixed with water in a spray bottle. Always gets my hair to soften up when its time to detangle. Seeing as I'm natural, and don't wear my hair straight often, I'm not sure about it weighing it down like you mentioned. Then again I don't use it without mixing it with water.
The other ladies should come in and give you more help, but I hope this was of some use to you!

Nonie

When I used it, I used it like Aviah, mixed with distilled water, ACV and essential oils. I am also natural.

ThePerfectScore

OOH good info... I bought a bottle b/c it was on sale, but have yet to use it.... More ideas! I've read in threads that it can be bad for hair... so UGHH... The search function really confuses me.. one year ppl are raving about it, the next year ppl are having set backs because of something.

onyxmin

I started using it last month. Yes it absorbs tons of moisture lol but I love it that way because I have extremely dry ends. How I use it? varies!!
a) I mix it with my coconut oil + black castor oil for detangling
b) I have it mixed with aphogee essential oil. Specifically for my hair line (ear-forehead-ear)
c) I mix it with my conditioner + one egg for DC

Nonie

OOH good info... I bought a bottle b/c it was on sale, but have yet to use it.... More ideas! I've read in threads that it can be bad for hair... so UGHH... The search function really confuses me.. one year ppl are raving about it, the next year ppl are having set backs because of something.

Glycerin is a humectant. It draws moisture into itself. If you're in a humid place or are constantly spraying your hair, then glycerin is good because it will hold onto that moisture and keep your hair moisturized.

However, if you're in a dry environment, glycerin may have the opposite effect of drying your hair by pulling moisture out your hair into itself.

S Curl activator has glycerin in it and when I wear it, my hair stays moist all day. Baggying keeps it on my hair and I find I can go for at least 3 days without reapplying.

~NanCeBoTwin~

I use it as a moisturizer/leave-in, but if it's really humid out, I don't use it as it seems to make my hair frizz, at least when I was stretching. I have mine mixed in a spray bottle with 100% AVJ and a little water.

MummysGirl

I use is it in my moisturising spritz which is made up of - Conditioner, Glycerin and EVOO, with 60-70% water.

Miamori

My hair does NOT like glycerin, and I've tried it in several climates.

It seems to work for an instant, but then just makes my hair more needy.

sheedahp

Glycerin is very popular here, if you do a search you'll see lots of threads. (You may have to search "glycerine" as well because people spell it differently.)

Anyway, the most common way I've seen it used is to mix vegetable glycerin with aloe vera juice (food grade) and use that as a moisturizing spray. You said yours is thick though, do you have the oil?

Just be aware that glycerin attracts moisture to the hair but if the atmosphere is too dry, then it will pull the moisture from your hair instead.
It doesnt say whether its oil or not, its by Africare and its 100% kosher glycerine but its very thick. Thanx

sheedahp

I use Glycerin mixed with water in a spray bottle. Always gets my hair to soften up when its time to detangle. Seeing as I'm natural, and don't wear my hair straight often, I'm not sure about it weighing it down like you mentioned. Then again I don't use it without mixing it with water.
The other ladies should come in and give you more help, but I hope this was of some use to you!
Ok, im relaxed and I was thinking of using it in my creamy leave in before I seal and I was wondering if there are any relaxed ladies that use it before a rollerset and how they like the results. Thanks:yep:

sheedahp

Glycerin is a humectant. It draws moisture into itself. If you're in a humid place or are constantly spraying your hair, then glycerin is good because it will hold onto that moisture and keep your hair moisturized.

However, if you're in a dry environment, glycerin may have the opposite effect of drying your hair by pulling moisture out your hair into itself.

S Curl activator has glycerin in it and when I wear it, my hair stays moist all day. Baggying keeps it on my hair and I find I can go for at least 3 days without reapplying.
Uh Oh! Well Im in Ga so I think Im in a dry climate, I dont know if I should use it, but dont most hair oil moisturizer contain glycerin?

nysister

Yes I mix it with a bit of water (I know there's enough water when the glycerine is no longer warm) Sometimes I mix it with Castor Oil also.

blackbarbie

Uh Oh! Well Im in Ga so I think Im in a dry climate, I dont know if I should use it, but dont most hair oil moisturizer contain glycerin?

I'm in GA as well. I read a post by nonie yesterday that encouraged me to try the S-Curl underneath my cabinet. First I sprayed in on my hair Sunday after wearing a wash n' go on Saturday. (my hair was dry as a bone and was a tangled mess). I sprayed a little bit in my hair and saw how it amazingly softened up! I sprayed it throughout the rest of my hair and was set for the day. At bedtime last night, I decided to baggy my ponytail just to see what would happen. I woke up this morning and was amazed again! Yes my curly ponytail had suffered shrinkage but can you say "moisturized"??? It stayed moisturized all day long.

I am surprised that I have been sleeping on this product and was thinking of starting a thread to see if anyone used it on their entire head.

I have a theory (that I think may have already been discussed here) and I wanted to get others opinions. When people had jheri curls back in the day and they used to put that activator on their head and wear that plastic cap, did you ever see anyone with short hair? No, because their hair STAYED moisturized and it promoted growth!!!

BB

locabouthair

So what do you use when the climate is dry?

Glycerin sprays like scurl and wave nouveau work well for me most of the time but sometimes they dont work as well.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
Glycerin does nothing but make my hair a dry crunchy mess. :nono: It doesn't matter if I use it with aloe vera or plain. I live in a very humid area, so I guess it just doesn't agree with my hair.

sheedahp

I'm in GA as well. I read a post by nonie yesterday that encouraged me to try the S-Curl underneath my cabinet. First I sprayed in on my hair Sunday after wearing a wash n' go on Saturday. (my hair was dry as a bone and was a tangled mess). I sprayed a little bit in my hair and saw how it amazingly softened up! I sprayed it throughout the rest of my hair and was set for the day. At bedtime last night, I decided to baggy my ponytail just to see what would happen. I woke up this morning and was amazed again! Yes my curly ponytail had suffered shrinkage but can you say "moisturized"??? It stayed moisturized all day long.

I am surprised that I have been sleeping on this product and was thinking of starting a thread to see if anyone used it on their entire head.

I have a theory (that I think may have already been discussed here) and I wanted to get others opinions. When people had jheri curls back in the day and they used to put that activator on their head and wear that plastic cap, did you ever see anyone with short hair? No, because their hair STAYED moisturized and it promoted growth!!!
BB
It sure helped my hair grow back in the day LOL!:lachen:

La Colocha

BB

This right here and nonie is what made me try s-curl. Im natural and usually my hair hates glycerin but remembering back in the day and seeing nonies technique got me to thinking. Why not try it now, i baggy every night with this product and it keeps my hair soft. Op if your mixture alone doesn't work try baggying sometime with it to see if it helps. Also there are alot of recipies you can try to find the right mix for you.