Grow out = Severe Breakage

trinidarkie1 said:
I am 10 weeks (as of saturday) post relaxer. My hair breaking in a bad way.
I wear a silk scarf at night, completely moisturized. Treatments every week. But I am seeing my hair just coming out, sometimes from the roots even, or long strands coming out, not just ends or little pieces, it looks like the entire length of my hair.
I'm wondering if I should just stick to a 6 - 8 week grow out and then do my touch-ups, I fear that pushing it to 4 months is going to cause severe damage.

Anyone have any ideas? similar stories? solutions?

I have had lots of breakage until I learned what really worked for my 4a/b hair. Over the last year (March-March) this was my hair situation.

Relaxer March 17 (got hair pretty straight).
Didn't relax again until November.
In between relaxers, I stretched 21 weeks and had braids for 10 weeks, and took hair out for one week before relaxer
November relaxer was underprocessed (Phyto self-relaxer disaster)
Waited 8 weeks and relaxed at beginning of January (Phyto relaxer again, still underprocessed, even after going to hairdresser).

It's been 8 weeks, and I have almost a year's worth of "new growth/natural hair."

What I've done is washed (or rinsed) my hair at least every other day. This will make your hair more pliable. I use conditioner and this helps my hair a lot. Also, I wear buns now until next relaxer. That's up to you, as this style gets boring!

trinidarkie1 said:
I wear a silk scarf at night, completely moisturized. Treatments every week. But I am seeing my hair just coming out, sometimes from the roots even, or long strands coming out, not just ends or little pieces, it looks like the entire length of my hair.
I'm wondering if I should just stick to a 6 - 8 week grow out and then do my touch-ups, I fear that pushing it to 4 months is going to cause severe damage.

You are shedding. That's normal and natural. But, you may need to do more co-washes throughout the week if you are not already. I "wet" my hair every night in one form or another. Either it's being washed, co-washed, or just "wet" in the shower before bed. Then, I either wear it in a slick bun or a do some form of a braid-out or twist-out ponytail using larger sections every night after my shower. I take the twists or braids out in the morning. But, I am on week 11 and this is my second 14-week stretch and my fourth stretch beyond 11 weeks overall. It's the wetting that keeps my new growth and my demarcation line happy. ;)

I am so unsure right now!
I just dont want to have new growth at the expense of losing my relaxed ends. I had a trim about 5/6 weeks ago and I am really unwilling to get another one.
I've considered doing a braid out for the next 10 weeks, but I am impatient, my braids itch etc, and I am not good at washing them. So I was wondering about getting a braided mohawk or some kinda cornrowed stye that's easier to remove just in case and that I cant just apply stuff to my scalp like my MTG and Surge #14 etc. I just dont want to give up my grow out so soon.

As for washing more often, I am very prone to colds and I have limited time during the week, so washing once a week is easier for me. Plus, my hair is at a funny stage right now, with my fullest sections being the back and the left side. The other parts are the problem areas.

I think I am going to try the braids at least for 6 weeks and see how that works out, but after taking out braids I just always feel like so much of my hair comes out with it yuh know?

I did cowashing last year but it was during the summer/fall. I had highlights and as soon as the new hair grew, the highlights fell off! so all the hair on my head right now is actually new hair.. know what I mean?

Perhaps I should try with the braids instead of the touch - up.

Please suggest some styles. I have a really round face, so work with me :lol:

trinidarkie1 said:
As for washing more often, I am very prone to colds and I have limited time during the week, so washing once a week is easier for me. :lol:

I know it's a hard decision, Trini and, ultimately, you know how your hair is feeling and what your hair likes. If you do consider more frequent "wetting" as an option, maybe the fact of doing it right before bed everynight will help with the colds. Your pores should be closed by the time you leave the house the next morning. Just a thought. But, I feel you. It's so confusing sometimes! I wish you the best. I am sure you will find the perfect solution.

CantBeCopied said:
I know it's a hard decision, Trini and, ultimately, you know how your hair is feeling and what your hair likes. If you do consider more frequent "wetting" as an option, maybe the fact of doing it right before bed everynight will help with the colds. Your pores should be closed by the time you leave the house the next morning. Just a thought. But, I feel you. It's so confusing sometimes! I wish you the best. I am sure you will find the perfect solution.

What about if I wet with that Surge #14 thing? Its that hair growth spray, would that count?

trinidarkie1 said:
What about if I wet with that Surge #14 thing? Its that hair growth spray, would that count?

Surge #14 is a growth stimulator but it is not a moisturizer. And, it's been known to cause some people's scalps to "flake". I like surge and will use it when I remember, after a wetting in the shower. But, nothing can really replace good old water and a little conditioner to saturate your hair. Maybe a spray bottle of water followed by a bit of leave in or a spray bottle of water and conditioner mix? That might work? I forgot to mention, if you ever do try the evening "wetting" in the shower.....I do mine immediately when I get home after work and then I go on about cooking and doing other household things. It's not always "right before bed". So, that may help with your pores closing up. Just a thought.

CantBeCopied said:
Surge #14 is a growth stimulator but it is not a moisturizer. And, it's been known to cause some people's scalps to "flake". I like surge and will use it when I remember, after a wetting in the shower. But, nothing can really replace good old water and a little conditioner to saturate your hair. Maybe a spray bottle of water followed by a bit of leave in or a spray bottle of water and conditioner mix? That might work? I forgot to mention, if you ever do try the evening "wetting" in the shower.....I do mine immediately when I get home after work and then I go on about cooking and doing other household things. It's not always "right before bed". So, that may help with your pores closing up. Just a thought.

Okay I hear you,
I'll make a lil concoction in my spray bottle, thanks for the advice.
I'm trying to get some braid ideas instead of getting my touch up. Hopefully I can do this for the long haul.

juicy555 said:
Ok, I'm 9 weeks post, first stretch ever, and yesterdday started wearing a baseball cap cuz I'm just at a loss. There is breakage, I mean just little pieces of relxed hair everywhere!!!

When you say no manipulation do you mean not even massaging moisturizer into new growth/scalp? Going to salon on Friday (can't wait!). Last night did OO/CO pre-poo (for like 2 hours) then MT deep moisture wash, followed by ORS mayo (since I started breaking a couple days ago) and THEN topped off with ORS replenish pak overnight. I just parted my hair in two french braids and called it a night.

Today rinsed out and applied WGO on scalp and ends. How do I avaoid manipulating the new growth until Friday? Not meaning to be thick here, bbut I honestly don't understand, especially since my hair length is earlobe, what to do, or how to style my hair. :(

Not sylver2, but for me, no manipulation means not combing, brushing or "handling" hair too much. I do GENTLY massage my scalp with balls of fingers whenever I get the "itchess" which happens alot late into a stretch . . .

The best way to avoid manipulation until Friday or just as a general routine is to find a low-mainenance style that doesn't require combing/brushing your hair in between washes.

My late stretch solution is to use a moisturzing spray (1/2 lustrasilk curl activator 1/2 distilled water) usually at bedtime and spray my new growth all over and use balls of fingers to message my scalp, then I apply a few drops of my current favorite oil to my relaxed ends (jojoba, castor, avacado, etc.) and finger comb into a loose bun and tie hair down and go to sleep -- In the morning, I undo the bun and finger comb ends to hang down OR redo into a neater bun and go. When I'm on my last week before touchup, I have to REALLY restrain myself from massaging scalp, so I end up "hitting myself upside my head" all week to deal with the itchess . . .LOL!

It took a lot of trial and error for me to find a comfortable routine that worked for me - everything doesn't work for everyone! I suggest trying different techniques until you hit the one that works FOR YOU, but the key to stretching is to avoid manipulation as much as possible . . .

I called my hairdresser today and told her what was happening and she said I need a deep condition, so I kept telling her that I do a ORS deep penetrating pak each weekend, but I guess she really needs the money, cos she told me to come in and get a deep condition anyway.

I dont think I am going to relax anymore, at least for 2 weeks again. I am really glad I opened this thread.

trinidarkie1 said:
I called my hairdresser today and told her what was happening and she said I need a deep condition, so I kept telling her that I do a ORS deep penetrating pak each weekend, but I guess she really needs the money, cos she told me to come in and get a deep condition anyway.

I dont think I am going to relax anymore, at least for 2 weeks again. I am really glad I opened this thread.

Glad you're going to at least make the "attempt" in order to know whether its for you or not. I am now able to own or discard things from this board, whether product or technique, by trying at least once to see if would work for me -- trial and error -- LOL! Are you going to do braids or try stretching without braids?

I dont think I can stretch any longer without braids. My hair looks real tacky. I cant even get it into a good french braid in the back, the top and sides are too short. And on nights like tonight that I plan to be in the gym for a couple hours, with all that sweat, not a pretty site.

The phonies and I cant work, because the hairpins and combs make my scalp tender, and I am tired of wearing half wigs. So I figure I'll try the cornrow braids for at least 2 weeks and see how that works for me.

trinidarkie1 said:
I dont think I can stretch any longer without braids. My hair looks real tacky. I cant even get it into a good french braid in the back, the top and sides are too short. And on nights like tonight that I plan to be in the gym for a couple hours, with all that sweat, not a pretty site.

The phonies and I cant work, because the hairpins and combs make my scalp tender, and I am tired of wearing half wigs. So I figure I'll try the cornrow braids for at least 2 weeks and see how that works for me.

What about doing braidouts???

So I took your advice and mixed a solution of water, condionter (VO5 stuff) and I still put some of that surge stuff in there, just like an oz. And my hair didnt fall out a lot.
Thanks so much!

trinidarkie1 said:
What is that? :ohwell:

A search for "braidouts" or "braid outs" will produce many many many posts on what they are and how to do them. I've never tried them personally, but the technique is to put hair in braids or plaits to dry (instead of using heat) and once hair is dry and braids are loose, hair has a "textured" look that is well moistured and requires little or no manipulation for days at time.

Braidout experts, jump in here and help a sister out . ..

My hair was doing the same after switching relaxers, now I have found and put together a formula that has transformed my hairs appearance and growth and has elimnated little to no breakage.
What I do is I mix:

1/4 cup of creme of natures Nourishment Conditioner
1/4 cup of Suaves Coconut Conditioner
1 tblespn. Mayonaisse( I use light, that what i have in the house)
1 capful of Elasta QP"S breakage serum
using the cap from the breakage serum:
1/2 cap of coconut oil
1/2 cap of olive oil

You want to mix everything together in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 20-25 seconds.

Apply to hair and cover with plastic cap under the hair dryer for 20-30 minutes, then rinse well, make sure you rinse all residue from scalp and hair.

Then blow dry or set, whatever you do.

I've done two treatments after shampooing with Elasta QP 's shampoo for relaxed hair, and my family and friends say my hair is beautiful. This has also revived a color that's in my hair.

You can also apply a little coconut oil to ens\ds and wrap hair in a conditioning silk scarf at night.

kreeme said:
I would suggest doing the aphoghee treatment and then getting a perm within the next week or two. If your hair is breaking off that bad, you may not be able to stretch your hair that long. That's just my two cents. :ohwell:

Ditto, sounds like your hair needs Protein...

sylver2 said:
I use to think that way. I could never strtech and would get touchups every 6 weeks. If I didn't, I would see breakage and shedding.

Its just taking it one day at a time experimenting.

Key to stretching
1.Moisture
2. no Manipulation of the new growth area.
When I'm stretched past 12 weeks I do not even comb my new growth. It lays flat and smooth with moisturizer and scarf. As long as its flat, don't need to run a comb thru it.
To me Hair is at its most vunerable during strteches, u gotta treat it like a newborn baby:baby2:
Thanx sylver 4 the advice...

I've also tried no manipulation of the new growth and what I get in return... are more and more tangles...How do you keep your hair from tangling up?...What products do you use to soften your new growth?

I remember in the past...when I was using heat...I could have went 5-6 months without a touch-up...but now since stretching without heat.. it's been difficult...the longer my hair gets.

missMARYk said:
My hair was doing the same after switching relaxers, now I have found and put together a formula that has transformed my hairs appearance and growth and has elimnated little to no breakage.
What I do is I mix:

1/4 cup of creme of natures Nourishment Conditioner
1/4 cup of Suaves Coconut Conditioner
1 tblespn. Mayonaisse( I use light, that what i have in the house)
1 capful of Elasta QP"S breakage serum
using the cap from the breakage serum:
1/2 cap of coconut oil
1/2 cap of olive oil

You want to mix everything together in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 20-25 seconds.

Apply to hair and cover with plastic cap under the hair dryer for 20-30 minutes, then rinse well, make sure you rinse all residue from scalp and hair.

Then blow dry or set, whatever you do.

I've done two treatments after shampooing with Elasta QP 's shampoo for relaxed hair, and my family and friends say my hair is beautiful. This has also revived a color that's in my hair.

You can also apply a little coconut oil to ens\ds and wrap hair in a conditioning silk scarf at night.

I THINK UR RIGHT WITH THE WHOLE concept OF HOME MIXTURES.

when i had breakage (before) i would mash a rottening avacado with egg and EVOO. this treatment mositurized and proteined and the feel lasted for over 3 weeks. it was only needed once. because the breakage i'm getting isn't extreme i dont need it AZ YET, but i really think some natural BASIC products preferabley ur own, is the way 2 go!

Lady_Lioness said:
Thanx sylver 4 the advice...

I've also tried no manipulation of the new growth and what I get in return... are more and more tangles...How do you keep your hair from tangling up?...What products do you use to soften your new growth?

I remember in the past...when I was using heat...I could have went 5-6 months without a touch-up...but now since stretching without heat.. it's been difficult...the longer my hair gets.

Thats just it. I don't even know if its tangled because I don't touch it. I don't run my fingers thru it, I don't comb it..nothing. I use NTM silk touch as a moisturizer on my dry new growth, put on scarf and as long as the roots look flat and smooth,then thats alright with me, who cares if its tangled as long as its flattened..lol

Neroli said:
Not sylver2, but for me, no manipulation means not combing, brushing or "handling" hair too much. I do GENTLY massage my scalp with balls of fingers whenever I get the "itchess" which happens alot late into a stretch . . .

The best way to avoid manipulation until Friday or just as a general routine is to find a low-mainenance style that doesn't require combing/brushing your hair in between washes.

My late stretch solution is to use a moisturzing spray (1/2 lustrasilk curl activator 1/2 distilled water) usually at bedtime and spray my new growth all over and use balls of fingers to message my scalp, then I apply a few drops of my current favorite oil to my relaxed ends (jojoba, castor, avacado, etc.) and finger comb into a loose bun and tie hair down and go to sleep -- In the morning, I undo the bun and finger comb ends to hang down OR redo into a neater bun and go. When I'm on my last week before touchup, I have to REALLY restrain myself from massaging scalp, so I end up "hitting myself upside my head" all week to deal with the itchess . . .LOL!

Oh yes I know about that! I've given myself a headache a few times. lol!

Neroli, you're right the trick is finding a low maintenance style. Since my hair's short I applied the NTM leave in, tied down and in morning it was nice and laid flat, I just pinned up in semi-bun. Now my hair's all relaxed I'm excited about having more length to play with next time. I will definitely incorporate your spray solution as that sounds like a winner! Thanks much. :)

juicy555 said:
Oh yes I know about that! I've given myself a headache a few times. lol!

Neroli, you're right the trick is finding a low maintenance style. Since my hair's short I applied the NTM leave in, tied down and in morning it was nice and laid flat, I just pinned up in semi-bun. Now my hair's all relaxed I'm excited about having more length to play with next time. I will definitely incorporate your spray solution as that sounds like a winner! Thanks much. :)

You're welcome! I hope you find a confortable *no maintenance/low maintenance* style that works for you. When it comes to my hair, I practice the old "less is more" technique -- the less I do to my hair the more healthy and longer it gets . . .

Quote=trinidarkie1
Originally Posted by trinidarkie1
What is that? :ohwell:

[/quote]

Neroli said:
A search for "braidouts" or "braid outs" will produce many many many posts on what they are and how to do them. I've never tried them personally, but the technique is to put hair in braids or plaits to dry (instead of using heat) and once hair is dry and braids are loose, hair has a "textured" look that is well moistured and requires little or no manipulation for days at time.

Braidout experts, jump in here and help a sister out . ..

Neroli explained it very well. I learned to do braidouts on LHCF although when I was a little girl (maybe many of us here), my mother would take out my braids or plaits so I can wear my hair "loose" with waves. That's a braidout.

Sylver2 is wearing a braidout in her avatar in this thread and has more pics in her album. Many of the ladies (including me in my album) wear braidouts or twistouts (same but two strands) as a protective style since it requires very little maintenance and as Neroli said, it keeps the hair well moisturized.

For me the best stuff to combat breakage is DRC28 followed by avocado conditioner one week, next week carrott oil hot oil treatments, alternating each week, and protective styles

trinidarkie1 said:

Braid outs wont look good. I have no hair in the front and middle, so I always have to try to wear my hair falling to either side.

I just did a wash and treatment at the hairdresser on saturday and I started my MTG treatments tonight.
Just two weeks till I am in Brooklyn and I am either going to get my braids put in, or get a full weave put in for a few months.

Some people can not stretch that long. Please listen and look at what your hair is telling you. It's just not worth jacking your hair up.

michelle3147 said:
Some people can not stretch that long. Please listen and look at what your hair is telling you. It's just not worth jacking your hair up.

Thanks Michelle3147.
I'm doing just that. I started applying this moisture mix. It's water with some surge #14, with lots of conditioner, Suave Strawberries and Cream and Greentea and Chamomile in a spray bottle to my roots. After I started doing that, with just a couple applications my hair stopped breaking and shedding.
Now I use the MTG on my scalp.
My cut off date to make a decision about my hair is in two weeks March 17th I think is the date.
I'll be in NY; so I'll either relax and get a weave, or put in some braids. I'm kinda leaning towards the braids, it's more practical because it's easier to manage esp with my gym schedule.
Until I can get my hair into a ponytail so I can wear a baggy properly, it doesnt really matter what else I do.

michelle3147 said:

You ain't neva lied. I just got done telling my girlfriend that. Do what you got to do and slap a perm up in there. No sense in having long hair if it's jacked all up. :nono:

Great results with the NExxus products.

I'm looking at my new growth and I am pleased because the front and center part of my hair never grows as much and I can definitely see the new growth in my hair. When i was done washing my head looked puffy with new growth, it was great to see.

Back