Growing your hair long WITH STYLE!!!

FeelinIt

Okay, I can't do it anymore!!!! I've done the buns, ponytails, no styles, weaves and I just can't take it anymore!!!

I notice that some ladies here are able to grow their hair with style. Can we have some examples here of ladies who have grown their hair with style? What I mean by this is you can still achieve growth and health while wearing your hair in cute and varying styles. I feel like there is NO NEED to be looking a H.A.M. while growing long healthy hair!! LOL.

I think my problem and a lot of the ladies here is sheer BOREDOM with our protective and hair growing styles. They just don't allow for much FUN. I see short hairtyles that look awesome and I look at my hair and think, it's longer but it looks like CRAP! Now by no means does longer equal better but something has to be done. I also think that if we had options in cute styles that didn't do major damage then the process of growing long hair would not be as bad. Do you know what I mean?

My particular everyday hairstyle is a gelled back ponytail. I've done the weaves but can't afford to put them in all of the time. I don't like phony ponies because they look so fake to me and again I still have to use gel.

My hair is in transition and so that makes for tricky hairstyling options. So I'm here to get cute but healthy styling suggestions from you guys.

I encourage the ladies here to post instructions and photos of your styles and progress.

And even if it is just a bun or pony, show us how you jazz it up!

Thanks in advance ladies.

Great thread and I see where you're coming from. I was out at the store the other day and I felt to homely. I'm seeing ladies left and right with their hair looking fab, and mine looks boring. I'm not wearing my hair down for a while though. I'm not doing it exclusively for hair health, but mainly because at this length I'm just not excited about wearing my hair down. However, I'm a firm believer that you can still grow long, healthy hair without having to always look boring. Even with my protective styles I spice it up with fun hair accessories. Right now I'm doing scarves and I might try wearing a flower on the side of my bun. I'm looking for more ways to spice my styles up, so I'll also be checking this thread out.

MzOptimistic

redRiot said:
Great thread and I see where you're coming from. out I was at the store the other day and I felt to homely. I'm seeing ladies left and right with their hair looking fab, and mine looks boring. I'm not wearing my hair down for a while though. I'm not doing it exclusively for hair health, but mainly because at this length I'm just not excited about wearing my hair down. However, I'm a firm believer that you can still grow long, healthy hair without having to always look boring. Even with my protective styles I spice it up with fun hair accessories. Right now I'm doing scarves and I might try wearing a flower on the side of my bun. I'm looking for more ways to spice my styles up, so I'll also be checking this thread out.

I totaly agree, the other day me and my baby daddy :lol: was out eating and this pretty lady walked by with long beautiful hair and my hair was pulled back in a bun looking plain..I'm told I look like a school teacher:look: and my daughter tell me dang maw yo hair is long (she does'nt know what long is until she see the ladies on here) anyway she say dang maw yo hair long you should flat iron it and I tell her I'm growing my hair...Everytime someone come over to my house my hair is always pulled back baggied with a scarf and my baby daddy daughter said to me once, you don't curl your hair anymore...I tell her the same thing...I am growing my hair...but hopefully in December I will be able to wear my hair down more....:yay:

Lucia

tsmith said:
I totaly agree, the other day me and my baby daddy :lol: was out eating and this pretty lady walked by with long beautiful hair and my hair was pulled back in a bun looking plain..I'm told I look like a school teacher:look: and my daughter tell me dang maw yo hair is long (she does'nt know what long is until she see the ladies on here) anyway she say dang maw yo hair long you should flat iron it and I tell her I'm growing my hair...Everytime someone come over to my house my hair is always pulled back baggied with a scarf and my baby daddy daughter said to me once, you don't curl your hair anymore...I tell her the same thing...I am growing my hair...but hopefully in December I will be able to wear my hair down more....:yay:
I know what you mean I'm on the hide challenge too, but think about it, just wait untill Dec. and you whip all your length out and wear it down, I'm sure people will start staring at your head, and trying to eyeball for tracks. :lol: You might even have to serve some Haterade ...BTW only 3 months 3 weeks to DEC.2006 :yay:

atlien11

This is what i do...not sure its WITH STYLE...but i try :look:. I alternate these styles throughout the month for a week at a time :

Week 1: Curly rollerset. I might spritz with water and re-roll it after day 3 to freshen it up so it still looks cute. This is a great protective style because there is little manipulation throughout the week (IMO) and added moisture.

Week 2: Bun with bang slightly off to the side (think ashanti). I love this style. Its cute with hoopearrings plus you can conditioner-only wash every other day to get your moisture balance back up.

Week 3: Straight hair. You have been good for two weeks with heat. Why not rollerset it on large rollers after deep conditioning or protein treatment. After rollers are dry, straighten with a flat iron (use little product so that you have bounce and movement) and show it off.

These styles can be substituted with braidouts, cornrows, or any other style you deem fit :D

Ariana4000

I've been doing a few things:

1) large French Braids (some people call them fish tails)
2) A bun with a flower on the side
3) Sometimes I take some Yaki tracks and make figure 8 buns (I divide my hair ear to ear and add the tracks for a ponytail and intertwine the two ponies) Its a very pretty updo
4) I'll do flexi rods and roller sets.
5) I'll flip it and put a scarf headband on

I can't do a bun for the rest of my life. I feel to plain also.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
FeelinIt said:
Okay, I can't do it anymore!!!! I've done the buns, ponytails, no styles, weaves and I just can't take it anymore!!!

I notice that some ladies here are able to grow their hair with style. Can we have some examples here of ladies who have grown their hair with style? What I mean by this is you can still achieve growth and health while wearing your hair in cute and varying styles. I feel like there is NO NEED to be looking a H.A.M. while growing long healthy hair!! LOL.

I think my problem and a lot of the ladies here is sheer BOREDOM with our protective and hair growing styles. They just don't allow for much FUN. I see short hairtyles that look awesome and I look at my hair and think, it's longer but it looks like CRAP! Now by no means does longer equal better but something has to be done. I also think that if we had options in cute styles that didn't do major damage then the process of growing long hair would not be as bad. Do you know what I mean?

My particular everyday hairstyle is a gelled back ponytail. I've done the weaves but can't afford to put them in all of the time. I don't like phony ponies because they look so fake to me and again I still have to use gel.

My hair is in transition and so that makes for tricky hairstyling options. So I'm here to get cute but healthy styling suggestions from you guys.

I encourage the ladies here to post instructions and photos of your styles and progress.

And even if it is just a bun or pony, show us how you jazz it up!

Thanks in advance ladies.

I was just thinking the samething. I wear my hair just like you, pulled back in a ponytail with ends tucked in a baggie covered with a satin scarf so you cant see the baggie..Since I've been wearing my hair back I stopped wearing make-up and not dressing as cute as I used to, I've become plain jane from head to toe..ENOUGH!
I'm due for a relaxer in late Sept and after that I'm going to start wearing my hair down either a wrap or roller set and side ponytails w/bangs or some of ATL's suggestion (Thanks ATLien)

FeelinIt

redRiot said:
Great thread and I see where you're coming from. I was out at the store the other day and I felt to homely. I'm seeing ladies left and right with their hair looking fab, and mine looks boring. I'm not wearing my hair down for a while though. I'm not doing it exclusively for hair health, but mainly because at this length I'm just not excited about wearing my hair down. However, I'm a firm believer that you can still grow long, healthy hair without having to always look boring. Even with my protective styles I spice it up with fun hair accessories. Right now I'm doing scarves and I might try wearing a flower on the side of my bun. I'm looking for more ways to spice my styles up, so I'll also be checking this thread out.

You know I never realized how pretty a scarf and some accessories could be with a boring old bun. If you have any photos of those styles, please share. I would love to rock some pretty scarfs but I just need some visuals on how to make it work. The summer isn't quite over yet so I think they are still appropriate!

FeelinIt

tsmith said:

Like the previous poster, you can still play up the bun. You probably, like me, just need a lil inspiration and some advice on how to spice up the bun.

Cute earrings, some pretty makeup and some hair accessories ought to do the trick. Sometimes I wear my bun to the side. You could spice that up with a big pretty flower, you know amd still keep your hair protected.

FeelinIt

Lucia said:
I know what you mean I'm on the hide challenge too, but think about it, just wait untill Dec. and you whip all your length out and wear it down, I'm sure people will start staring at your head, and trying to eyeball for tracks. :lol: You might even have to serve some Haterade ...BTW only 3 months 3 weeks to DEC.2006 :yay:

Wow December is right around the corner. To be honest, I've felt like I haven't gained much length at all. I keep noticing breakage. Just last week I noticed that about an inch of hair had broken off from about 6-7 inches to 2 inches. I was heated! And that makes me very dissappointed. I can't stand oiling and moisturizing daily, but If I miss a day, that's it. My hair as had it!

I have to do something to keep my inspired to keep going because I've wanted to give up so many times.

FeelinIt

atlien11 said:
This is what i do...not sure its WITH STYLE...but i try :look:. I alternate these styles throughout the month for a week at a time :

Week 1: Curly rollerset. I might spritz with water and re-roll it after day 3 to freshen it up so it still looks cute. This is a great protective style because there is little manipulation throughout the week (IMO) and added moisture.

Week 2: Bun with bang slightly off to the side (think ashanti). I love this style. Its cute with hoopearrings plus you can conditioner-only wash every other day to get your moisture balance back up.

Week 3: Straight hair. You have been good for two weeks with heat. Why not rollerset it on large rollers after deep conditioning or protein treatment. After rollers are dry, straighten with a flat iron (use little product so that you have bounce and movement) and show it off.

These styles can be substituted with braidouts, cornrows, or any other style you deem fit :D

You just gave me an idea. The Reward System. That is great. Be good all month then treat yourself to the style you've always wanted. Of course that doesn't mean a totally damaging style but something where the process has minimal damage factors but is still stylish.

Maybe you are on a no heat challenge and for the first three weeks out of the month, stick to it, but on the last week, treat yourself to a nice low heat flat iron or hot curlers.

I love it!

FeelinIt

Ariana4000 said:
I've been doing a few things:

1) large French Braids (some people call them fish tails)
2) A bun with a flower on the side
3) Sometimes I take some Yaki tracks and make figure 8 buns (I divide my hair ear to ear and add the tracks for a ponytail and intertwine the two ponies) Its a very pretty updo
4) I'll do flexi rods and roller sets.
5) I'll flip it and put a scarf headband on

I can't do a bun for the rest of my life. I feel to plain also.

I'm very interested in your figure 8 buns. Someone give me a visual because my behind is "special" and I need to see stuff in order to fully understand. LOL

My problem with roller sets is that it always comes out looking Grandma-ish. It never comes out the way I want it. I don't know if it is the length or its just the way I style it. I'll keep trying.

I like the flip with the headscarf. I'll have to invest in some nice headscarfs. Any ladies have any suggestions on where to get some good ones that are still protective?

FeelinIt

sherylin123 said:
I was just thinking the samething. I wear my hair just like you, pulled back in a ponytail with ends tucked in a baggie covered with a satin scarf so you cant see the baggie..Since I've been wearing my hair back I stopped wearing make-up and not dressing as cute as I used to, I've become plain jane from head to toe..ENOUGH!
I'm due for a relaxer in late Sept and after that I'm going to start wearing my hair down either a wrap or roller set and side ponytails w/bangs or some of ATL's suggestion (Thanks ATLien)

I stopped wearing makeup too!! But I think my homeliness had to due with me gaining weight and not fitting my clothes. I just don't have the power to want to look good if my outfit and body looks bad. For me it has been all or nothing. Either everything is going to flow or I'm not going to do it.

Mom23

atlien11 said:

This is what I do as well, and my hair seems to be doing good. I usually wear braid/twist outs as well. I just keep experimenting. :grin:

ReesieCup

A smooth pulled back hairstyle can be very sexy and chic. It's all about how you work it. I suggest investing in some quality jewelry, especially earrings. Also, don't shy away from make up.

I've actually focused on all sorts of "girly" things that I didn't before. Less visits to the hair salon means more $$ for banging shoes, dresses etc. Buy some nice accesories and clothes and people will think the bun is just part of the look.

I've added a little hair to the back of mine and tied it into a chignon. I've gotten lots of compliments on it. Never stopped me from getting noticed.

Sade sported a ponytail and hoop earrings and was the ish in her day. We can do the same. Keep holding on!!

Last edited:

Healthb4Length

I've been feeling bored with my hair lately too. This is why I've decided to get some hilites, something new so that I can change up my look and be cute. I also plan on getting a weave, that way I can fry it all I want without damaging my own hair.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
U ladies w/ long hair are lucky. Try doing a protective style w/ short hair. At least U ladies can bun it. What can us short haired gals do?:cry2::violin:

sprungonhairboards

DDtexlaxd said:
U ladies w/ long hair are lucky. Try doing a protective style w/ short hair. At least U ladies can bun it. What can us short haired gals do?:cry2::violin:

Well, consider yourself lucky with one less thing to worry about. The whole point of protective styling is to preserve your ends, keep them from brushing up against clothes, sleeves, etc, and damage from the elements and styling tools. Protective styling for short hair I guess would be a hat.

KiniKakes

FeelinIt said:
I stopped wearing makeup too!! But I think my homeliness had to due with me gaining weight and not fitting my clothes. I just don't have the power to want to look good if my outfit and body looks bad. For me it has been all or nothing. Either everything is going to flow or I'm not going to do it.

Yeah, i totally understand what you mean..... its "all or nothing" with me too

MizaniMami

sherylin123 said:

MY GOODNESS ME TOO! Why is that?! Even when I do try to dress up I still don't feel like "the old me."

I wish Dec 2007 come in a hurry cuz I'm tired of growing this hair out. But, with everything there is a price .:cool:

MsWhite

I have been growing my hair out for quite a while and I have never really used protective styles. My main thing is I just try not to use heat. If I do use heat i only do so when i roller set. I roller set my hair with Estrella's setting lotion and it makes my hair nice and curly. To keep the curl I use satin rollers at night and put shea butter on my ends for a nice curly look. Satin rollers give you a nice curl that stays you should try it:) .

Healthb4Length

lele710 said:
I have been growing my hair out for quite a while and I have never really used protective styles. My main thing is I just try not to use heat. If I do use heat i only do so when i roller set. I roller set my hair with Estrella's setting lotion and it makes my hair nice and curly. To keep the curl I use satin rollers at night and put shea butter on my ends for a nice curly look. Satin rollers give you a nice curl that stays you should try it:) .

Sorry to change the topic but Lele your hair is gorgeous girl! Could you please PM me your regime?

Lucia

lele710 said:
Wow your hair is gorgeous, :eek: :D Satin rollers, that sounds hair freindly, where do you buy those?

punchinella

Lucia said:
Wow your hair is gorgeous, :eek: :D Satin rollers, that sounds hair freindly, where do you buy those?

I totally agree, maybe I sould change my name to lele or lala or something close to that because they both have lovely hair. (Maybe rere :grin: )

Undefeated Queen

I've been wearing braidouts and doing co washes all summer and it's helping my hair growth a lot. I decided to wear it down and straight 3 weeks ago and my mom complimented on how much my hair has grown and how healthy it looks.

lele710 said:

Good golly miss Molly! Look at that hair! I'm doing whatever you're doing...come on you HAVE to give us the 411 on how to get our hair to do all that!

hopeful

I can't take it anymore either!!! 4 1/2 months natural and I don't know, it's not quite a twa but still not long enough to wear the twists I have been dreaming about. I just decided today to try to put in some kinky twists at about shoulder length.

OnceUponAtime

Alli77 said:
Sorry to change the topic but Lele your hair is gorgeous girl! Could you please PM me your regime?

Whoaaaaaaaa! Forget the PM, that regimen needs to be a sticky! :lol:

Lele, your avatar is a scroll stopper! Where is your album?

CurleeDST

Honestly ladies, if you work out like me, and growing out your hair, forget about a cute style on those days when you work out. On those days you don't work out...perhaps you can squeak out a cute style. But if you run and/or lift weights FORGET ABOUT IT! :eek: