Growing your hair long WITH STYLE!!!

FeelinIt

DDtexlaxd said:
U ladies w/ long hair are lucky. Try doing a protective style w/ short hair. At least U ladies can bun it. What can us short haired gals do?:cry2::violin:

Hmmm...lemme think about that. I like a challenge.

You can actually still do the flower and/or headband or scarf method.

You could invest in a lacefront while your hair is growing

You could do an updated modern body wave. I think you can set it with clamps and sit under a dryer. You know have that 20's flair

I'll think of more later.

Last edited:

FeelinIt

hopeful said:
I can't take it anymore either!!! 4 1/2 months natural and I don't know, it's not quite a twa but still not long enough to wear the twists I have been dreaming about. I just decided today to try to put in some kinky twists at about shoulder length.

Have you thought about extensions. I've always wanted to get those kinky twists.

FeelinIt

How about this ma.

http://www.beautyriot.com/stuff/images/articles/approve/2572_2882_Berry-Halle-05-400.jpg

With this one, you could get a light press, taper apply a light oil daily and tie it down to keep this style. Accessories, beautiful makeup and a banging outfit will bring it all together!

http://www.blackhairmedia.com/Jul'01-Jan.'02%20Site/images/ssalon7small.jpg

Sorry I don't know how to make the link "clickable" Just copy and paste in address window.

Last edited:

hopeful

FeelinIt said:
Have you thought about extensions. I've always wanted to get those kinky twists.

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. I don't have the length I want yet so I'm going add some length lol. I ordered the hair today. I love twists and my hair thrives when it is twisted.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
FeelinIt said:
I stopped wearing makeup too!! But I think my homeliness had to due with me gaining weight and not fitting my clothes. I just don't have the power to want to look good if my outfit and body looks bad. For me it has been all or nothing. Either everything is going to flow or I'm not going to do it.

Ok..I must confess a large part of my "homeliness" is due exactly to this...I feel ya "All or Nothing"

atlien11

CurleeDST said:
Honestly ladies, if you work out like me, and growing out your hair, forget about a cute style on those days when you work out. On those days you don't work out...perhaps you can squeak out a cute style. But if you run and/or lift weights FORGET ABOUT IT! :eek:
I have to admitt, this lacefront is coming in very handy for working out. Im not saying that you have to go spend a lot of money on a wig, but extensions on those days might help. I have been working out hard lately (im hurting so bad right now as i type this). I go home, take this LF off and rinse my cornrows with a diluted shampoo to remove the sweat. Afterwards i spray a leave-in on to hold the moisture, put a scarf on my cornrows and go to bed. I just put my LF back on in the morning and its as if i never sweated by butt off the day before. I wasnt really a weave/wig/extension girl previous to my LF but those options are something to consider if you want to look cute AND be healthy :grin: Besides its just temporary and if u do it right, your hair can thrive off of those cornrows and the excersise.

Someone asked me to post a picture of the bun:

Last edited:
DDtexlaxd said:
U ladies w/ long hair are lucky. Try doing a protective style w/ short hair. At least U ladies can bun it. What can us short haired gals do?:cry2::violin:

I am with you when you are right. I guess I'll try a spiral or rollerset and see how it comes out.

lele710 said:
I have been growing my hair out for quite a while and I have never really used protective styles. My main thing is I just try not to use heat. If I do use heat i only do so when i roller set. I roller set my hair with Estrella's setting lotion and it makes my hair nice and curly. To keep the curl I use satin rollers at night and put shea butter on my ends for a nice curly look. Satin rollers give you a nice curl that stays you should try it:) .

Ok, i'm confused, what does satin rollers look like? Are they the ones with the snap or do they look like magnetic rollers but made out of satin? Anyone have a pic?

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
lele710 said:
I have been growing my hair out for quite a while and I have never really used protective styles. My main thing is I just try not to use heat. If I do use heat i only do so when i roller set. I roller set my hair with Estrella's setting lotion and it makes my hair nice and curly. To keep the curl I use satin rollers at night and put shea butter on my ends for a nice curly look. Satin rollers give you a nice curl that stays you should try it:) .

Your hair is gorgeous girl! Please let us in on your secrets...we're waiting :D

Jas123

The Star of a Story
atlien11 said:
I have to admitt, this lacefront is coming in very handy for working out. Im not saying that you have to go spend a lot of money on a wig, but extensions on those days might help. I have been working out hard lately (im hurting so bad right now as i type this). I go home, take this LF off and rinse my cornrows with a diluted shampoo to remove the sweat. Afterwards i spray a leave-in on to hold the moisture, put a scarf on my cornrows and go to bed. I just put my LF back on in the morning and its as if i never sweated by butt off the day before. I wasnt really a weave/wig/extension girl previous to my LF but those options are something to consider if you want to look cute AND be healthy :grin: Besides its just temporary and if u do it right, your hair can thrive off of those cornrows and the excersise.

Someone asked me to post a picture of the bun:

OT
Hey ATL..I actually thought a lacefront was a type of weave, I didn't you could remove it @ night..That sound more like my speed..can you tell me more about it (feel free to pm me0 or guide me to where I can find more info?

Jas123

The Star of a Story
pink_n_green_iz_me said:
Ok, i'm confused, what does satin rollers look like? Are they the ones with the snap or do they look like magnetic rollers but made out of satin? Anyone have a pic?

Hi Pink...another option is to buy a cheap satin/silk scarf & sponge rollers... cut scarf into strips big enough to completely cover the sponge rollers and voila..satin covered rollers:D

atlien11

sherylin123 said:
OT
Hey ATL..I actually thought a lacefront was a type of weave, I didn't you could remove it @ night..That sound more like my speed..can you tell me more about it (feel free to pm me0 or guide me to where I can find more info?
I will send you a PM ;)

MzOptimistic

Lucia said:
I know what you mean I'm on the hide challenge too, but think about it, just wait untill Dec. and you whip all your length out and wear it down, I'm sure people will start staring at your head, and trying to eyeball for tracks. :lol: You might even have to serve some Haterade ...BTW only 3 months 3 weeks to DEC.2006 :yay:

Yah, you right only 3 months and some change..I can do it shoot...I went this long already...and my hair will be longer...:grin:

curlyj

I hear you guys...But its possible I've been wearing a phony pony since april and love it(so does the new BF)...You really just have to shift the focus. I make sure fashion wise- that I put MORE than my best foot forward everyday. And then there is the makeup- a little goes a looong way. Keep your look polished and you'll be just fine.

And if your not afraid of wigs, they are making them so thin now...Good growing ladies. Its worth it, IMO....

MsWhite

Sorry I am replying to you guys so late...But to roll my hair I use Mesh rollers with paper on my ends...One because it cuts down on drying time and I dry my hair on a cool setting. I use Aubreys GPB for a protein treatment one a week before I wash my hair and honeysuckle by Aubrey's to moisturize. ohh and for a leave in I use giovanni direct leave in..ok hope I helped if you guys have any questions PM me...

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I'm right there with you! I'm so sick and tired of wearing this darn donut bun. I wear it EVERY day. And when I say everyday...I MEAN ERRRDAY!!!!:lachen:

I can't wait 'til December when I can relax this ish and celebrate my progress by wearing my hair DOWN!!

When I blew it dry a few weeks ago, I felt and looked so pretty and got comments everywhere...and people at work making fun of me because they were saying things like: "you look so much better with your hair down," and "why you wear those boring buns everyday when your hair is long?" I don't explain why I'm doing it because it's nobody's business.

All I got to say is that I hope doing all this bunning and taking care of my hair and hiding it is worth it. I would for once like to enjoy my hair. I do hope it will be worth it! :rolleyes:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Honestly ladies, if you work out like me, and growing out your hair, forget about a cute style on those days when you work out. On those days you don't work out...perhaps you can squeak out a cute style. But if you run and/or lift weights FORGET ABOUT IT! :eek:

Yep! I'm right there with you. I run 4 days a week and lift weights 3 days a week. So my buns are the way to go. But I did find a cute phony pony wrap around for my bun. I will wear that for a change up.

Working out and wearing hair down is a no-no! :nono:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I vary my styles but yeah I guess they are still too plain and I look the same everyday. My BF and I went out to dinner last week and I wore my hair down and he said, "you look very nice tonight". I thought hmmmm:perplexed...obviously not a regular occurence nowadays:lachen:

neenzmj

CurleeDST: I totally know what you mean. This was really bumming me out for awhile this summer because I can spend hours on my hair on Sunday and have it looking cute only to sweat it all out on Monday. I worked around it with curly wash 'n go's and making my rollersets last by pinning my hair up into curly ponytails. I bought a half wig so I'm hoping it will be cute and then I can throw that on after my workouts.

sareca

I only wear protective styles when I'm having a bad hair day.
Most days I wear a wash and go that is half up and half down.

gabulldawg

This is a great thread! I'm so glad it was resurrected. Anyway, I also workout, so protective styles are really what I like to wear. I disagree that you can't look good when working out. I think that's really why a lot of black women don't work out like we should... Anyway, I really need to start posting more of my no heat protective styles that I do. I really like to experiment with flat twists (not the two-strand, just the plain ones). I actually created a really tight mohawk look doing twists on the sides and a bantu knot set in the middle. It was very cutting edge AND protective! And when I worked out all I had to do was redo the knots (which takes like 5 minutes) and take them down after my workout! The next time I do that style I will definitely take lots of pics to share. That's just one example. I think I also have a few pics in my fotki right now of other styles I do.

I was feeling the same way as the OP and other ladies on the board. A lot of my motivation was that I do have a man and I want to look good for him as often as I can. I don't like to be showed up by other women!! :nono:LOL! Anyway, that's just my two cents. Hope it helps! Whenever i post some pics of my protective styles I will post a message! :grin:

CurliDiva

I stopped wearing makeup too!! But I think my homeliness had to due with me gaining weight and not fitting my clothes. I just don't have the power to want to look good if my outfit and body looks bad. For me it has been all or nothing. Either everything is going to flow or I'm not going to do it.[/quote]

Ladies,

Don't limit yourselves! You can stay CUTE in "little" ways (smooth skin, tasteful makeup, polished nails or toes, even just a nice pair of earings and gloss).

Please check out the "that girl" threads for sugguestions on pulling together a LOOK!

There are so many plus size store now, that even a few extra pounds is not an excuse for not staying cute. :rolleyes: One of my best advice to the proper fitting bra and/or bady shaper. These undergrament can make you look 10 pounds lighter!

Happy Hair Growing!

aurora3140

Yeah, I know how a lot of you feel. It used to be that if I knew my hair was going to be in a bun, I wouldn't even bother picking out a cute outfit because I wouldn't feel cute no matter what I wore :ohwell:. I'm trying to get over that mentality because it only makes matters worse. Instead of not trying to look cute because my hair's boring, I try to over-compensate in all the other areas. I don't wear make-up (except the occasional swipe of loose powder and some lipgloss), but I do have a lot of earrings that I try to match to my outfits. This helps a lot :yep:!