Hair care and growth for relaxed sista's

blessedandlucky

My all time favorite shampoo is abba pure moisture. It's hands down the best shampoo I've used. It doesn't strip my hair and leaves it moisturizer.

I also use joico kpak reconstructor and ao rosa mosqueta conditioner and sometimes ao honeysuckle rose.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

VirGoViXxEn

I love the JBCO shampoo. It felt funny on my hair the first few washes but my hair is finally used to it. Its 100% natural and makes my scalp feel really clean. I also like Keracare Hydrating Detangling Poo (Sulfate Free). I have the CON w/argan oil poo but havent tried it yet. LOL.

TLC1020

Relaxed checking in..

My hair love:
Very Low Manipulation (buns & braids)
Moisturizing Shampoos
Thick Creamy Conditioners w/heat
Not crazy about protein
Stretch relaxers minimum 12 weeks

niqu92

I started to do wash and go's, after washing and conditioning my hair, I applied John Frieda Dream Curls generously, some serum and scrunched my hair, sat under my dryer for about 10 minutes and then finished airdrying while watching tv. Slept with silk cap.
Next day I wore it loose and the following 2 days I've been wearing it up.I love the ease of it.

ummm..pictures?:look: lol

SuchaLady

Mai Tai Co washing never worked for me either. I tried several times before I was to H3ll with this. :ohwell: When I first joined everyone was mentioning it like it was the best thing since sliced bread.

I wash my hair every 7-10 days. I do not co-wash at all. Too much manipulation of wet hair for me.

Mrsptaylor

I love the entire Elucence brand and I shampoo weekly with alternating protein / moisturizing conditioners. I do have one question for everyone - do you experience more dryness and tangling issues if you wear your hair in any style other than straight (braidouts, buns, etc.)? I always feel like I lose more hair this way.

Curlybeauty

I love the entire Elucence brand and I shampoo weekly with alternating protein / moisturizing conditioners. I do have one question for everyone - do you experience more dryness and tangling issues if you wear your hair in any style other than straight (braidouts, buns, etc.)? I always feel like I lose more hair this way.

:yep: I did Mrsptaylor and that's why my hair has thrived with roller setting.

I didn't like having all the manipulation with buns, because I have fine hair, so I learned to roller set my hair and it has been a godsend for my ends. Buns and braid-outs tear my ends UP :nono:

BeautifulFlower

Relaxed 4 Life....well, maybe...but I don't plan on going perma-curly anytime soon...

So often are y'all washing your hair with shampoo? And co-washing? I am really trying to get my hair back on track! I wanna be waist length

I shampoo once a week and co-wash 2 to 4 times a week. I went from SL to WSL in 3 years. I found that the more moisture was on my scalp and in my hair, the better. Buns, braidouts, and ponytails....air-dry...moisturize daily...thats the basics

do you know any good shampoos??

I like Creme of Nature Detangling Shampoo is good but I wanna find something else to fall in love with...I have no loyalty.

H4irHappy

Highly textured styles like braidouts cause me to have tangles and tangles are a disaster for me. As long as I'm relaxed, I will be a roller setter for life, lol.

Shirilyn4652

Creme of Nature Argan Oil or One and Only Argan Oil Shampoo 1X week
Cowash with any cheapie conditioner 1X a week
Moisturize with Scurl(if wearing wigs)
Use Chi line if flat ironing
Just recieved BBD products, have not used yet, but loved the shampoo, very little and it lathered well
Oils-coconut, castor oil, grapeseed oil, eucalyptus oil, peppermint, teatree oil. Use them as needed, but my favorite is coconut oil

goodmorningruby

I started to do wash and go's, after washing and conditioning my hair, I applied John Frieda Dream Curls generously, some serum and scrunched my hair, sat under my dryer for about 10 minutes and then finished airdrying while watching tv. Slept with silk cap.
Next day I wore it loose and the following 2 days I've been wearing it up.I love the ease of it.

Can you post a picture of your wash and go please? How do you like the JF Dream Curls?

kami11213

Great thread...

Currently I wash 1x a week with diluted Nexxus Therappe, Mizani Bontafying or CON shampoo.

My moisture conditioners are CON Moisture Extreme, Nexxus Humectress or Mizani Moisturefuse.

For protein I'll use ORS Replenishing or Aphogee 2 min

I co-wash in the summer just once during the week, usually using Herbel Essences, Dove Moisture or Garnier

My daily moisturizers are either HE LTR or NTM. I use a mix of JBCO and EVOO when I use oil.

BeautifulFlower

What do you moisturize your hair with at night?

What is your go-to protein treatment? When do you know you need it?

How often do you use heat? How does it effect your ends?

What's your current breakage frequency? Light, medium, heavy?

Sending BeautifulFlowers from my iPhone

Windsy

I'm texturized....I guess that counts.

I co-wash daily with any cheap shampoo.
I DC 2x a month after co-washing
I do an Oil rince once a month after co-washing
I clarify once a month and then do use Aphogee 2 step followed with by their Balancing Moisturizer.

I only detangle when I do my Clarify; I pretty much wash and go. I haven't straightened my hair in over a year and I don't use any heat.

OhmyKimB

What do you moisturize your hair with at night? Oyin Hair Dew; I just read about another one I plan to use for my doobies the first few days, then switch back over to oyin

Aphogee 2-min Keratin, I use it when my hair does not feel nice and moisturized without my doing anything to it. The first week I'll just use that and do a deep condition, the second week I use that and then moisture recovery.

More often lately with my hot rollers, and I finally brought a flat iron I like. So far I haven't noticed anything much.

Light, since I stopped being lazy and just having my stylist do it and me not do anything to it, I've notice I'm only shedding. I have color and was still being lazy and my hair was terrible, since I've jumped back on I have yet to see a broken hair around.

ETA:
I also know the less I do to my hair the better my growth and by less I mean products. It doesn't seem to mind anything else I do to it, meaning styles and heat. I still don't know how to blow dry properly so I have stayed away from that for now, or until I shell out the money or a better blow dryer

Last edited:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Beauty without cruelty leave in conditioner and seal with Gleau oil blend

I use only light proteins. I have 3 that I rotate, one with SAA, one with Keratin and Aubrey Organics GPB

Maybe once a month and only on a low temp such as 260 on my sedu. My ends have been fine. In 1 year I've had 2 trims both of which in hindsight I didn't really think I needed, oh well.

Light...it was nearing medium until I incorporated a greater variety of protein treatments. The reconstructor with SAA didn't cut it after a while.

I dry steam my DC/protein treatments and since using the steamer I have even less breakage. I started putting eucalyptus oil in my DC and my shedding increased so I've eliminated that as well and right now I'm in balance....just a matter of keeping it that way:grin:

nymane

Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme

For the first year and a half of my HHJ it was Aphogee Two Step...now I'm on a low protein regimen.

Never, only indirect heat (roller sets)

Light

demlew

do you know any good shampoos??

If you have access to Costco, their private brand called Kirkland Signature is great! It's really moisturizing, SLS-free, and comes in a 1-liter for about $9.00. I've been using the same bottle for 7 months and it's only half gone. It's definitely a re-purchase.

s_terry

Great thread...

Currently I wash 1x a week with diluted Nexxus Therappe, Mizani Bontafying or CON shampoo.

My moisture conditioners are CON Moisture Extreme, Nexxus Humectress or Mizani Moisturefuse.

For protein I'll use ORS Replenishing or Aphogee 2 min

I co-wash in the summer just once during the week, usually using Herbel Essences, Dove Moisture or Garnier

My daily moisturizers are either HE LTR or NTM. I use a mix of JBCO and EVOO when I use oil.

Not to highjack the thread, but kami11213 just wanted to say, you look good girl! Hair-check! Weightloss-check! You representing. Keep up the good work!

danysedai

I washed yersterday and roller set but I will do a wash and go again this week after my gym classes on Tuesday and report back.
My issues with wash and gos, braidouts, etc is that I freak out afterwards when I see all that hair in the tub no matter how careful I am. My mind is telling me it's shed hair as I don't comb my hair for a week (and we lose about 100-150 hairs per day according to Google,right?) but no matter I freak out.
I LOVE John Frieda dream curls and it will be a staple for sure for wash and gos. I apply it liberally to hair, apply serum for the frizzies, scrunch it and it's smooth not crunchy or hard at all ( a friend even touched my hair when I told her that to make sure it is not hard). I wore it down the first day but even though I had layers cut in December they've grown out so the look is kind of flat on top which I don't like, so I've been putting it up in a messy chignon leaving the curls out on top of the head.
I'll take pictures, pinky swear.

danysedai

goodmorningruby
niqu92
the pictures of my wash and go with John Frieda Dream Curls,it kind of looks greasy but believe me it was not, it's the texture from the Dream Curls.

Sorry it took me so long and that the pictures are so big, it's a new camera and DH had to do show me how to do download the pictures...

I usually pin it up and leave the curls do their thing but last week at a party I pinned the front back and let the back loose.

danysedai

Yes by scrunching one side then the other, then I sit with under the dryer for about 15-20 minutes with my hair on a net.

fancypants007

I'm on a low manipulation regime so I currently wash once a month with homemade Shikakai Conditioner Wash.

My moisture conditioners are Dessert Essence Organic Coconut conditioner or a homemade conditioner using avocado and coconut milk.

For protein I do the Aphogee 2 step every month

My daily moisturizers are hair oil mix using coconut oil, castor oil and jojoba oil. I add this to distilled water. I use 4 parts water and 1 part oil. Add some rosemary and lavendar eo's.

I oil and massage my scalp every night. I also oil my ends every PM.

I do GHE every PM.

liberationtheory

I'm definitely subscribing to this thread. Though I've been relaxed for about a year, I still don't have a reggie. These are the things I've learned so far.

** I cannot co-wash. It leaves too much build-up on my hair and my scalp is sludgy.
** Weekly washing and conditioning is a must.
** Those reconstructor packs, especially by ORS are GREAT.
** 12 weeks is too long to stretch. 6-8 weeks are too short to stretch.
** Buns and protective styles are no-nos for me. I think my hair is too fine for the buns because I tried for like 3 weeks and have THE most chewed up ends and breakage. And that's with elastics that aren't too tight or anything. I lose so much hair from the braid outs. From now on, I'm going to stick with roller sets and get better at wrapping my hair at night.

My hair doesn't really like oil. I can use it lightly after a fresh perm, but I need something more for sealing. My daughter's hair is 3b/3c and does well with a dab of butter to seal. I think I'll try the same.

I'm on the hunt right now for
** a good moisturizer/leave-in conditioner
** a lighter butter for sealing
** a moisturizing shampoo
** a regular routine/regimen
** a better blowdryer (hand-held and hooded)

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I am currently in love with Shea Moiusture's Moisture Retention Shampoo. It has Argon Oil, Sea Kelp, and of course Shea Butter in it. It is a gentle shampoo that leaves my hair so soft. I've been using it for about a month now and it is well on the way to becoming a staple.

i love this shampoo! i havent used it on my relaxed hair yet but it is staple worthy:yep: it makes my hair feel soft yet strong without feeling "protieny"