Hair colors for dark skin

MsDes

What are some hair color suggestions for dark skin like Kelly Rowland and Gabrielle Union skin tones. I really wanna dye my hair for something different!! Thanks in advance. Feel free to post pics.

I've always done reds, browns, or golden highlites

Highlites:

SIG.jpg

wng-5-5.jpg

Reds:

color1.jpg

DSCF8108.jpg

wng-12-30.jpg

Brown:

10-20-wng3.jpg

And black works for most ppl IMO.

Are you looking to do highlights, ombre, or an all over color?

Though I'm a sucker for dyed black hair, I'm also partial to copper tones against dark skin.

neat-hairstyles-for-long-hair.jpg

080708_union_400x400.jpg

Blonde would work as an accent color in small amounts, almost like a highlight.

kellyrowlandgcarras61555357.jpg

I'm a fan of dark red/burgundy.

I had these twists done in Feb '11. I'll be doing them again next month:

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I think it really depends moreso on your skin's undertones as opposed to darkness or lightness. I am medium brown and when I have dyed my hair black in the past it looks terrible! It does nothing for my complexion and makes me look washed out and haggard, but I know people that are way lighter in complexion than me that look fabulous with black hair.

^^ What she said, it really depends on the undertones in your skin if you are trying to choose a color that complements your skin tone.

I have nothing to contribute other than that I think that ladies with skin shades in the range of Kelly Rowland and Gabrielle Union have more leeway to experiment with a greater range of colors. Certain colors look odd on pale skin and very light brown shades, but it's this complexion that can handle color in my opinion. I especially love the look of highlights on women of this complexion.

I loooove copper browns and reds (warm reds, really. Doesn't have to be copper). I also like chocolatey warm browns AND I've done honey, caramel and blonde highlights before (on separate occasions) but only did a half head of them (face framing, crown area) because I *PERSONALLY* don't prefer full on blonde on darker skin, although there are a blessed few that can work it(Mary J Blige, and there's a member on here who is natural who I've seen with blonde, I can't remember the username).

How does one find out what your undertone is? I know there's the vein test, white towel test and so forth but that seems to be more suited for lighter folk.

Back