Hair regimen when long term backpacking

Hi. This thread was originally in the Travel forum, but I decided to repost it here in the hope of more replies :)

I've never been backpacking or any long trips in hostels/hotels/campervans/etc before, but I've been considering going on one or more sometime in the near future :).

I know there are a lot of things to consider, but I've also been wondering what an LHCF lady would be doing with her hair? I assume your regimen travelling would be quite different to when at home, because you'd have to be more careful with money, time, whether there's access to hairdressers or not, whether to bother with chemical styling (relaxers, colouring, etc), which and how many products and tools to use, etc.

I guess it's reasonable to say that it's best to keep a simple regimen. I currently have natural hair, and I'd probably keep it natural, as I think it'd seem a bit of a fuss trying to maintain relaxed hair when you're on the road. Also, I'd maybe learn to cornrow my hair properly and wear them as often as possible as a low maintenance.

I would just like to ask, those of you who have gone on long backpacking trips before (and I'm talking months or longer, but if you've been on shorter then still feel free to have your input here), what exactly was your regimen (including products, etc)? Did ever you use tools such as hairdryers and flatirons or not? Did you ever visit a hairdresser? Just so I'd kinda know what to expect. Also please say whereabouts in the world you went as well as that'd be helpful :yep:

virtuenow

Au naturalle (castor oil & aloe vera & a few other natural products for everything). You could probably do some awesome oil rinses and water spritzes. Seal w/castor oil and hopefully your hair is long enough to slick back and throw a hat on.

MzSwift

Sorry, I have never been backpacking but it sounds like fun!

Mini braids are my go-to vacay style b/c I don't have to fuss with my hair and I'm able to get those wet. If I were backpacking I would probably only have a spray bottle with oil and water and an oil to seal with. I would wash my hair with whatever body soap I was using and find some honey to mix with the oil for a DC. I would redo the braids every 3 weeks or so and KIM. Very low maintenance.

Cornrows/flat twists and regular twists are other great options. All allow for scalp breathability.

Lastly, I would likely keep my hair under a bandana to help protect it from the sun.

GL w/finding a solution! :) And have fun!