what EXACTLY is the Cathy Howse Regimen?

Guapaholic

ok.. so i'm a newbie to this board and the whole proper hair care thing as well. im curious as to what cathy howse's regimen entails (ie: products etc.). i've seen her mentioned on here and how some members have gotten noticeable length using her regimen....and i'd like to take a stab at it. i've been to her website, briefly searched the forum and read a few reviews of the book. i found her homemade conditioner recipe.. and noted to wash and deep condition every 3-4 days. is it that simple?? can someone shed a little light in a detailed summary? i'd check the book out at my local library, but its not there...

TIA

Basically she shampoos every 3-4 days deep conditioning every (or every other) shampoo. She also uses protein treatments for strength.

She never uses a blowdryer, but she uses a curling iron to straighten after airdrying.

She goes to a professional for her relaxers every 8-10 weeks.

She moisturizes daily with a water based product and does NOT oil/grease her scalp.

She does not use brushes.

Edited to add:

I use her regimen for the most part, except I don't moisturize daily. I also do my own relaxers and I don't relax bone straight. I don't use a curling iron, I use a ceramic flatiron. One of my biggest hair fears is the fact that I do use my flatiron after airdrying. I wish that I could cut that step out and one of my goals is to do that. It is FAR too much heat.

I think I am doing alright with this regimen. Some thing I don't do - like she only lathers once I think. I use a chelating shampoo and a moisturizing shampoo lathering multiple times. I need my hair to be clean! :)

Last edited:
She also takes iron pills.

I started out on her regimen, it is pretty basic. You will learn a lot on this board that may be helpful. Most is just fun so I usually end up trying just about everything.

Good Luck!

trimbride said:
She also takes iron pills.

I started out on her regimen, it is pretty basic. You will learn a lot on this board that may be helpful. Most is just fun so I usually end up trying just about everything.

Good Luck!

Thank u trimbride! =)

Are there certain products (aside from her own) that are comparable to hers to include in the regimen?

I also started out using her regimen and for the most part, still do. I've even tried her products. I think I experienced a set-back from the Lotion Creme Moisturizer...too dry for my liking. Other than that, I liked the Dew and the deep conditioner.

I have experienced the most and fastest growth since joing LHCF! These ladies are VERY knowledgable about hair care and hair growth. Many have some pretty amazing stories with pics to prove and they are very encouraging.

You'll be soooooo amazed at your progress!

Her regimen is a good jumping off point. It will help you to focus on the things that are almost universal (protein/moisture), and you can pretty much pick amongst the other techniques that you find on this board such as protective styling that are more or less optional. I pretty much use her regimen without the heat, and I do protective styles. You don't have to buy her conditioner, you can use any reconstructor such as Aphogee 2 min keratin reconstructor.

Guapaholic said:
ok.. so i'm a newbie to this board and the whole proper hair care thing as well. im curious as to what cathy howse's regimen entails (ie: products etc.). i've seen her mentioned on here and how some members have gotten noticeable length using her regimen....and i'd like to take a stab at it. i've been to her website, briefly searched the forum and read a few reviews of the book. i found her homemade conditioner recipe.. and noted to wash and deep condition every 3-4 days. is it that simple?? can someone shed a little light in a detailed summary? i'd check the book out at my local library, but its not there...

TIA
Hi,

I was checking her site out the other day after seeing the amazing results that glamour girl had using her regime. She does not trim her ends.

HTH

Thank you lovely ladies for all your replies!

For those of you that have used it and have hair similiar to my typing what shampoos would you recommend? I've only been co-washing. Can i substitute shampooing for CWing and get the same results?

DivaRox said:
Hi,

I was checking her site out the other day after seeing the amazing results that glamour girl had using her regime. She does not trim her ends.

HTH

Hi DivaRox:wave:! I use the Cathy Howse method and basically like the other ladies have said, it is washing the hair every 3 days and deep conditioning each or every other time. I use her protein deep conditioner and I LOVE it! I get the big 32 oz which is 30 something dollars, but it lasts me atleast a year. I am only on my second bottle now and I have been using her system for a year and four months. Anyways I don't trim my ends, not to say I never will but I don't right now and that's basically it. HTH!

Lanelle said:
She takes zinc too. It's 18 mg of iron and 15 mg of zinc.

I just looked at my multi's... they have the EXACT amount of each.. lol. that's good to know.

any other tips dropped in this thread are also appreciated. =)

GlamourGirl.. wow you have come FAR for a year and some change!!! Please share your secrets. LOL

Do you shampoo wash or conditioner wash?

GlamourGirl said:
Hi DivaRox:wave:! I use the Cathy Howse method and basically like the other ladies have said, it is washing the hair every 3 days and deep conditioning each or every other time. I use her protein deep conditioner and I LOVE it! I get the big 32 oz which is 30 something dollars, but it lasts me atleast a year. I am only on my second bottle now and I have been using her system for a year and four months. Anyways I don't trim my ends, not to say I never will but I don't right now and that's basically it. HTH!

Hi GlamourGirl:grin:

I had to give you your props-your hair is so nice and I am definitely gonna order that CH DC-and the book just to get all the info in one spot straight from the "horses" mouth-LOL

Guapaholic said:
I just looked at my multi's... they have the EXACT amount of each.. lol. that's good to know.

any other tips dropped in this thread are also appreciated. =)

My multi-vitamin has the same amount as well. She actually suggests that you take a multi-vitamin that include both if you don't want to take two separate pills. Oh and another tip is to stretch your relaxer for as long as you can (this was one of the main reasons she used a curling iron on her newgrowth).

Last edited:
Guapaholic said:
Thank you lovely ladies for all your replies!

For those of you that have used it and have hair similiar to my typing what shampoos would you recommend? I've only been co-washing. Can i substitute shampooing for CWing and get the same results?
I started with her regimen when I first came to LHCF about 3 1/2 years ago. The only difference is I decided not to use any heat, I had a trim last September and I use mainly the Aveda and the Nexxus Phyto-Organics line (I did buy her Dew once). I still use Cathy Howse's regimen, washing and deep conditioning every 3 days. :yep:

I don't do CWs (my hair just doesn't like them). The purpose of CWing add more moisture to the hair and prevent the hair from drying out from regular shampoos. Some CW everyday and I would not recommend shampooing daily. :nono: I don't know your hair type but I suggest a good moisturizing shampoo. Personally, I use the Phyto-Organics Theratin Extreme Moisture shampoo by Nexxus.

Last edited:
I too used the Cathy Howse method before coming to the board. I still have her book here with me, I learned alot from it. I also wash my hair every 2-3 days and I liked her conditioner. She got me to add peppermint oil to conditioners to make my scalp tingle.

Guapaholic said:

TIA

Hi there Jersey girl!

Everyone has given you a good run-down on the Cathy H. regimen. Her book is super cheap on Amazon or on her website, I once saw it for about $5. Hope that helps also, as a good reference point.

I also used Carolyn Gray's regimen. She was a good starting point for me. I use a variation of her regimen. She also has a book which is very informative. It is called 'Six Weeks to Healthier Hair' - her six-week regimen really turned my hair around. She has a website: blackwomansguide.com....This may be a good reference point for you as well.;)

Last edited:
LadyEsquire said:
Hi there Jersey girl!

Everyone has given you a good run-down on the Cathy H. regimen. Her book is super cheap on Amazon or on her website, I once saw it for about $5. Hope that helps also, as a good reference point.

I also used Carolyn Gray's regimen. She was a good starting point for me. I use a variation of her regimen. She also has a book which is very informative. It is called 'Six Weeks to Healthier Hair' - her six-week regimen really turned my hair around. She has a website: blackwomansguide.com....This may be a good reference point for you as well.;)

I enjoyed reading her book. It was like you were hearing it from a good friend. She has MANY product reviews, too. A couple of her staples are discontinued now :( but, most are still available. I just like the fact that she raved about my beloved Porosity Control Shampoo. :)

Hi and Thank You Isis.

My hair is 3c/4a and I'm 15 weeks post -- I was trying to make it to June 1.. But not wit this jungle!!! May have to give in. I'm still experimenting wit regimens right now and I've been CWing every sunday and thursday since I joined the board last month. Maybe I should do α regular wash and DC one day. Then α CW and DC the next time around? I haven't used heat in α minute either... that's one thing I won't start.

Isis said:
I started with her regimen when I first came to LHCF about 3 1/2 years ago. The only difference is I decided not to use any heat, I had a trim last September and I use mainly the Aveda and the Nexxus Phyto-Organics line (I did buy her Dew once). I still use Cathy Howse's regimen, washing and deep conditioning every 3 days. :yep:

I don't do CWs (my hair just doesn't like them). The purpose of CWing add more moisture to the hair and prevent the hair from drying out from regular shampoos. Some CW everyday and I would not recommend shampooing daily. :nono: I don't know your hair type but I suggest a good moisturizing shampoo. Personally, I use the Phyto-Organics Theratin Extreme Moisture shampoo by Nexxus.

Glossy: hmm.. i have the conditioner recipe... i have a reconstructor recipe and a DC recipe... do you know if theres any difference? is her actual conditioner worth the money?

Lady: Yeah.. ive learned about Carolyn Gray as well... i may have to just cave in and buy both of them... LOL... SMH.. and I call myself tryna 'save' some money.... i gotta set a 'hair budget' for myself.... i OD at times.

Honey: damn, im over here bout to get some Porosity Control, these 2 books and some peppermint oil messin wit y'all! i need to wean myself from these boards...

yes it is.... ITA.. which is why i figured id get a summary and possibly save money. i dont need to pay money to read the same thing written 10 different ways and pay money doing so.. when i can get valuable info here at no cost at all... but at the same time, if it is useful.... i want the book as a hardcopy reference.

KissKiss said:

I dont think you should really buy the conditioner. I heard its similar to Mane and Tail conditioner with peppermint oil. There are lot of better products but it was good way to start out.

I have the book at home and IMO since you that since you found LHCF, you dont really need to buy the book. (also I think lot of the ladies here have much healthier looking hair than Cathy's but that is just my opnion!!!)

glossyxlipz said:
I dont think you should really buy the conditioner. I heard its similar to Mane and Tail conditioner with peppermint oil. There are lot of better products but it was good way to start out.

I have the book at home and IMO since you that since you found LHCF, you dont really need to buy the book. (also I think lot of the ladies here have much healthier looking hair than Cathy's but that is just my opnion!!!)

I agree with the bolded. I had the book (gave it to someone on the board) and it was useful before I found LHCF but if I had come here first, it would have been a waste of my money. You'll find all the info and more right here on the boards.

ETA: Also, the hair pictures at LHCF are a little more inspiring to look at IMO.

awww... thank you to everyone who put their 2 cents in! i really apprecaite it. all of you ladies are so helpful and really sweet!

Back