STRAND THICKNESS theory...

KrystalClear

I just had an epiphany. :rolleyes:

I think this makes sense...

The thicker the strand, the longer it takes for products to absorb.
And deep treatments need to be done a little longer than for the average recommended time.

Most people don't have extremely thick strands (from what I have learned).
Matter of a fact, I hear that us naturals typically have FINE hair strands.
Maybe my issue with dryness is the THICKness of my strands?
Maybe I haven't been doing the right amount of time necessary for the deep treatments for a person with thick strands?

Here are my strands:

Do you think that the typical 30 mins under the dryer is maybe not enough time for the conditioner to penetrate through the THICK hair strands like mine?

Do you think maybe my deep conditioning should be 45 - 1hr every time for it to actually penetrate well?

Feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!
I'm on this healthy hair journey and just want things to be a BREEZE once I just figure it out!

Theresamonet

..I think DCing under the dryer for 30 min is to have enough time for as much product as possible to penetrate the CUTICLE layer, which is the first layer, so how thick the entire strand is really shouldn't mean anything. Once it is past the cuticle I don't think there is anything else you can do. I also heard that conditioner stops penetrating or reaches a plateau of sorts after 30 minutes w/ heat. But alot of people do it for 1+ hour and even overnight and it doesn't seem to hurt...so try it if you'd like. I don't think it will change anything.

Maybe you should try adjusting your porosity.

Last edited:

ladytee2

I dont think thickness affects the time it takes for conditioner to penetrate. Most things I have read even from scientist say more than 30 minutes of conditioning really doesn't add much to the treatment. If you are not seeing the benefits from conditioning I think you should begin by clarifying, porosity check and then switching deep conditioners to something that is working for your hair.

KrystalClear

actually my hair isn't porous at all. it may be too "nonporous". I did test, my strands don't sink. I've done it twice just to make sure. my strands have little elasticity, yet when I tug on them to do the test it.does not break. that's why I'm trying to figure what will penetrate my thick strands.

almond eyes

I think most black women who have fine hair choose to go natural because the chemicals don't penetrate well and damage the hair quickly and also because of uneven relaxer results so many of those women may be on this hair board. I have many friends with thick afro hair and they do very well with relaxers and DCings.

I think fine textures do not do well with alot of DC. I personally do not do them at all. I do my conditioners with the normal 5-10 minutes time. I do hot oil treatments before I shampoo my hair though.

Best,
Almond Eyes

KrystalClear

I think most black women who have fine hair choose to go natural because the chemicals don't penetrate well and damage the hair quickly and also because of uneven relaxer results so many of those women may be on this hair board. I have many friends with thick afro hair and they do very well with relaxers and DCings.

I think fine textures do not do well with alot of DC. I personally do not do them at all. I do my conditioners with the normal 5-10 minutes time. I do hot oil treatments before I shampoo my hair though.

Best,
Almond Eyes

do you not do dc because it makes your hair too soft? my mom tells me a lot of moisturize makes her fine strands too soft!

poookie

interesting. i have ridiculously fine strands (i'm talking spider web thin), and i LOVE to deep condition. my roots love it when i leave a deep conditioner in for hours at a time. my relaxed hair, on the other hand, tends to get mushy, so i need hardcore protein every other week, as opposed to many of the other ladies on this board, whose strands do not handle heavy protein well.

KrystalClear

interesting. i have ridiculously fine strands (i'm talking spider web thin), and i LOVE to deep condition. my roots love it when i leave a deep conditioner in for hours at a time. my relaxed hair, on the other hand, tends to get mushy, so i need hardcore protein every other week, as opposed to many of the other ladies on this board, whose strands do not handle heavy protein well.

I wasn't specific, my apologizes. She has relaxed hair that is fine too. So I think the combo of the relaxer plus the fine strands is not doing her hair too much justice because she doesn't do protein treatments. She just recently started doing the DC. I pray and beg for soft hair like hers, but she says certain products make it TOO soft. I had my mom try Shea butter and it made her hair too soft. lol. Just goes to show different strokes for different folks.

Theresamonet

actually my hair isn't porous at all. it may be too "nonporous". I did test, my strands don't sink. I've done it twice just to make sure. my strands have little elasticity, yet when I tug on them to do the test it.does not break. that's why I'm trying to figure what will penetrate my thick strands.

That is also a problem...Your cuticles are not open enough for moisture to get in. You may want to try Roux porosity control conditioner... Also check out these threads:

Definition of "Deep Condition"
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=280741

porosity - the forgotten step
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=341855

These threads really helped me understand the DCing process and moisture intake. HTH.

KrystalClear

shunemite

Most of us have 4b hair, and I read that 4b hair has a naturally raised cuticle, on the Mizani website. I just learned that like last week, so maybe that has something to do with it. It's a new concept to me. My hair is super duper thin and fine, so it dries out just like that. But with DC'ing it actually does really really well. I use humecto and my hair likes that.

(From Mizani website:)
type VIII - ZIG-ZAG COILED
Extremely tight afro – interlocking coils and zig-zag patterns
TEXTURE: Thin to thick or combination
GROWTH PATTERN: Curls directly from the scalp
BODY / VOLUME: Compact with no movement
ELASTICITY: Stretching with minimal return
POROSITY: Raised cuticle. Frizzy, tangled with some knots.

http://www.mizani-usa.com/?m=95&rid=300