Hair tangling while doing conditioner washes?

renee_n_3000

Due to the many positive posts I've seen here and at other sites, I've been doing conditioner washes for the past three weeks. I've been doing them about every five days.It seemed like such a great idea and I could see how it would be beneficial to the hair.

Unfortunately, I've been really surprised to find that my hair gets tangled and difficult to comb through when I apply conditioner to it without shampooing first.

My regular routine is to apply shampoo to my scalp, rub gently with the pads of my fingers and let the suds flow down through the length of my hair. After rinsing, I apply conditioner and my comb glides through my hair effortlessly with no tangles at all.

Now with the conditioner washes, my hair ends up in knots. I guess it's not as bad as it could be, but it's shocking to me. After I detangle, I see some short, broken off hairs in the bottom of my tub, which is something I'm not used to.

Why would eliminating shampoo cause my hair to tangle? Has anyone else experienced this and been able to correct it while still doing conditioner washes?

Luckily, I haven't noticed any negative changes in the appearance of my hair, but I don't want to push my luck. Maybe I don't understand what a conditioner wash really is and am doing something wrong.

NAY007

I think this is due to using conditioner all the time. Every time you condition your hair gets coated with the conditioner. And maybe now it's coated too much so you should clarify it. After clarifying your hair and using a conditioner you will be surprised at how well detangled your hair will be.
I know there are ladies that conditioner wash all the time but since I don't I can't give you no advice on what conditioner would not leave any or that much build up on your hair. But I'm sure somebody here will help you out:)

AngelaP

When you rinse the conditioner out, do you do it under the flow of the water? I try not to disturb my hair that much during the wash. I just kind of massage my scalp with the conditioner and then rinse it out under the flow of the water from the showerhead.

deeplyrooted

also, do you have a shower/scrub brush ? ? ?

this helped me to get the conditioner dispersed evenly thoughout my hair while in the
without excessively rubbing my hair around, which can definitely cause tangles. you might want to invest in one. they're the little paddle brushes with dozens of super tiny, short teeth. i'm sure you can find one at sally's. it should definitely help with the tangles and breakage.

inthepink

I hardly ever do two conditioning washes in a row. I tend to condition wash, then the next time is a shampoo wash so I tend to agree with Nay that you may need to clarify and shampoo more often.

Also, another suggestion if you want to be on the no poo routine is to apply the conditioner and detangle under the shower head. Then re-apply the conditioner to do your conditioning wash. I do this sometimes to eliminate the tangles.

renee_n_3000

Thank you for the advice! I do think the problem is product buildup because things do tend to build up on my hair and it gets weighed down easily. I think the mango butter I've been using on the ends and edges may be combining with the conditioner to create a glue effect which is causing the tangles. After my last wash, my hair didn't have its regular shine. I'm going to try alternating conditioner washes with regular shampoo washes.

Ayeshia

i trimmed my ends (not recommending that you do that) but since my hair is like 3 inches long i thought it was rather weird for supper short hair like mines to be tanlged. But I noticed these knots after i washed so i decided to cut them. Now my hair feels back to normal!!!