Hair texture change

tiajonay

Hello, this is my first time posting. It seems like my hair texture might have changed a little bit. I attached a side by side pic of my new growth 9 weeks post relaxer at different times. The first picture was taken in October 09 and the second was taken in March 10. I'm not sure what could have caused such a change. I stopped getting my hair relaxed bone straight after the first picture, if that matters, but I don't think that would have changed the texture of my new growth. Does anyone have any ideas on what could have caused this?

doll-baby

I once read that hair changes texture about every 7 years, I don't think that it is a drastic change like from 1a hair to 4a hair, but maybe if you started out with 3c hair it could become more like 3b or 4a hair.

On the right side of my hair I have a patch of 3c hair that I don't recall having before so maybe my texture (in that area) changed ?

ms.blue

did you comb your hair in the 2nd pic? B/c in the first pic it looks like the hair was airdried w/o any manipulation and the 2nd pic looks like you comb out your hair.

Last edited:

tiajonay

The first pic was taken three days after a roller set and the second was taken a day after a rollerset. I don't think i combed my hair before any of the pics were taken.

ms.blue

Did you use different products for your rollerset maybe water based. Maybe your hair was just more moisturized in the first pic.

robot.

i don't see any difference except maybe thickness, which would make sense because you have more growth in the second pic as opposed to the first.

BostonMaria

i don't see any difference except maybe thickness, which would make sense because you have more growth in the second pic as opposed to the first.

I was about to say the same thing. You have new growth and as your hair keeps growing it will continue to look different until you do the BC. Well I am assuming you're stretching, not transitioning. Do you normally stretch this long?

I transitioned 3 years ago and it felt like the relaxed hair and new growth were at war with each other LOL It was awful

LaFemmeNaturelle

From my understanding of the OP, they are both 9 weeks post, just as different times....maybe?

Sorry I have no input. It doesn't quite look the same. The first looks to have more defined curlies but it could be a variety of factors...that I don't know...maybe you stretched the second one more when you did the rollerset so the curls aren't evident.

robot.

From my understanding of the OP, they are both 9 weeks post, just as different times....maybe?

Sorry I have no input. It doesn't quite look the same. The first looks to have more defined curlies but it could be a variety of factors...that I don't know...maybe you stretched the second one more when you did the rollerset so the curls aren't evident.

Ahh, okay. I thought they were two completely different times.

But the texture looks the same to me, just in different forms. Pic on looks unmanipulated (you can see a few tight curls coming through), while the second looks like those same curls, just combed out.

Britt

The texture looks a bit different to me. The top pic looks less coarse and a bit more defined and the bottom has a bit more of a wirish texture to it. They aren't vastly different, but I can def see the change.

classychic1908

Welcome!!

Hormonal changes and certain medications over time can change hair texture... I feel like mine changed after I had my daughter, though it could be all in my head...

Are you transitioning or stretching?

luvn_life

My natural hair looks different at different times. Did you have any product in your hair in the first pic. The second pic your curlies just look combed out and drier than in the first pic.

Janet'

I know that my new growth looked like a whole lot of things when I was transitioning...I never really found out what my true "texture" was until I was completely natural...

tiajonay

Both pics are 9 weeks post relaxer. I started getting texlaxes after the second pic which may explain the thickness. But the newgrowth texture seems to have changed a little bit too. That may be caused by the thickness of my texlaxed sections, like someone mentioned.

I'm thinking about transitioning, so that's what caused me to start looking at the texture of my new growth. I normally stretch 9-12 weeks. I'm currently 13 weeks post, and my new growth continues to look like the second picture on a twist out too, i can post more pics, later. I don't have more pics of my newgrowth from from Oct 09, except when I was rollersetting before that pic was taken, i can post that too.

It could be a moisture problem; I used the same products both times I think. The second pic was a day after I washed it. But my newgrowth has stayed the same no matter what I’ve done to it since my last relaxer. I can post pics of my new growth after a twist out.

I was using megatek, and I read somewhere that megatek may cause hair texture to change. I'm no longer using it now.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Natural hair changes from day to day.
I'm one of those that can't really see the difference?

Hair texture does change sometimes though. I know my hair changed once and then changed back.

tatiana

Your texture looks the same more less in both pictures.

Whether can make your hair more frizzy or more dry looking, etc.

For example, If you used a product that has glycerin in it and it was humid/rainy outside, your hair may get more coiler and shiner. If it is cold/windy, hair get more dryer.

tiajonay

Thanks everyone for their input. I don't normally put products on my new growth in between washes, but i was using megatek at the time the first pic from the first post was taken. It seems like my hair texture does change from time to time and I do not have a uniform texture through out my hair, like many people. I think the thickness from the texlaxed parts really made a difference in how my new growth looked. I attached some more pictures that i found. The first pic was taken at the same time that the first pic in the first post was taken. The second pic was taken a week ago, four days after a rollerset. The second pic resembles more of the texture found in the second pic of the first post.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz351/tiajonay/Hairtexture1.jpg
http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz351/tiajonay/IMG_5568.jpg