hair typing... why???

FAMUDva

Hey y'all!

I'm sure the subject has been touched 50-11 times, but I'm just curious as to why hair typing is so important in the "very curly" range...

I get that everyone's hair is different and all that jazz, but really? What's the point?

I guess I'm wondering because even after reading the hair typing stuff on line, I come here and see pics of people are sure they are 3c/4a, but honestly look tighter curled than I'd think the "definition" for the hair type should be... Don't get me wrong... from 1a- 4z, it's all beautiful hair and should be embraced. :yep:

I guess I don't completely get the point of "separatism" within the "tightly curl" hair range. I mean, we aren't talking the difference between 2a and 4a... I'd venture to guess that someone with 3b hair that has recommendations may (and have) work pretty good on my hair. Just like in reverse not all 4 something hair types recommendations will work on my head.

Maybe I'm the only one annoyed with the hair typing thing... :look:

Neith

I agree :yep:

I may have more in common with a very coarse 3a than a very fine 4a even though I'm 4a (I've got terribly coarse hair)

but I'm not annoyed with it really.

I just feel that hair typing is not an exact science, and it's done for descriptive reasons.

I'd listen to suggestions from anyone. Basically hair is hair and responds to the same things. From type 1 down.

FAMUDva

I agree :yep:

I may have more in common with a very coarse 3a than a very fine 4a even though I'm 4a (I've got terribly coarse hair)

but I'm not annoyed with it really.

I just feel that hair typing is not an exact science, and it's done for descriptive reasons.

I'd listen to suggestions from anyone. Basically hair is hair and responds to the same things. From type 1 down.

Girl, I refuse to even define my hair type. :look:
I hate when I run into ppl IRL that say "oh, you can grow out your relaxer cuz you got good hair" :rolleyes::perplexed.... or even on here I look at photos and think... dang her hair looks tighter than mine and that's a 3c?

I guess annoyed is a bad word... but I still don't get it.

Last edited:

locabouthair

Before I was interested hair types because I wanted to know what types of products would work on my hair.

Now I just dont care anymore because I have yet to see someone on here with my hair type, even though plenty claim 4b, their coils are way looser than mine.

So I just let it go...

meka

I don't think its done to necessarily "separate" hair types. But maybe that helps to understand which practices and products work for different hair types.

ladylibra

on the one hand, making some quick generalizations can help steer you in the right direction as far as product and technique.

on the other hand... well, you know... :perplexed

honestly, i think we'd need MORE categories to really get hairtyping down to a science. but then it just gets harder to figure out what you are, not easier. :lol:

FAMUDva

I don't think its done to necessarily "separate" hair types. But maybe that helps to understand which practices and products work for different hair types.

Okay, so a new question... Do 3c, 4a, and 4b really behave that differently????? I mean in the grand scheme of things. I'm just curious since I'm thinking of taking some of the advice from that biracialhair.org page.

Neith

My hair isn't exactly just 4a from looking at pics, but I just basically picked the one that most of my hair resembles and went with it to simplify things :lol:

The basic hair types don't cover everyone, there is way too much variety in people's hair to define them in 11 types (1a/b/c, 2a/b/c, 3a/b/c/ 4a/b). In reality there must be an astounding number of variations and combinations.

I guess people usually don't think about it or realize it.

Hair typing for me is just a rough way to describe your hair.

Like if you said your hair is 4a, I would know it has small coils and not loose curls like a 3a. It's just meant to describe, not define.

locabouthair

Okay, so a new question... Do 3c, 4a, and 4b really behave that differently????? I mean in the grand scheme of things. I'm just curious since I'm thinking of taking some of the advice from that biracialhair.org page.

I would say they behave differently because the tighter the coil, the drier the hair. Therefore 3c might be the most moist. But of course, DC, heat use and just how well the hair is taken care of can play a role in dryness also.

Irresistible

Hey y'all!

I'm sure the subject has been touched 50-11 times, but I'm just curious as to why hair typing is so important in the "very curly" range...

I get that everyone's hair is different and all that jazz, but really? What's the point?

I guess I'm wondering because even after reading the hair typing stuff on line, I come here and see pics of people are sure they are 3c/4a, but honestly look tighter curled than I'd think the "definition" for the hair type should be... Don't get me wrong... from 1a- 4z, it's all beautiful hair and should be embraced. :yep:

I guess I don't completely get the point of "separatism" within the "tightly curl" hair range. I mean, we aren't talking the difference between 2a and 4a... I'd venture to guess that someone with 3b hair that has recommendations may (and have) work pretty good on my hair. Just like in reverse not all 4 something hair types recommendations will work on my head.

Maybe I'm the only one annoyed with the hair typing thing... :look:

I agree the hair typing can/does lead to separatism and also is not totally accurate. I guess its just for descriptive purposes , even though its lacking totally still. I also agree that there isnt that vast of a difference in what products will work for us or what wont, IMO thats more of your own hair's preference thing rather than a hair type thing.

FAMUDva

I don't get it either - I actually wrote a blog entry on that very topic.... :look:

Thanks!
yeah, the different things do make it more confusing! :look:

Hrm. I might actually go over the whole hair 'typing' thing - not talking the usual 1a-4b typing (or curl typing, as I like to call it, as that's ALL Andre's system is referencing, which makes it only partially useful for determining what your hair does and does not like).

I find the above quoted from your blog is basically what I'm talking about... How really does "curl typing" take into account how differently our hair will act.

I think Andre's system is most useful in me figuring out that what works on Becky's hair will not work on my hair... but Mya... she has curly hair and so do I... she has certain hair properties that are similar, although her curl pattern may be looser...

So, do I ignore both Becky and Mya and just search for LaTisha, who's curls look more similar to mine?

ladylibra

depends! see, that's what makes it so hard. i have 3c and 4a on my head, a few 4b patches here and there. mostly the 3c and 4a respond well to the same products, but they do behave differently.

my son has 4a and 4b on his head... he has much tighter shrinkage though. and the 2 textures are like night and day. :look:

but i think the differences in our heads are also that my strands are thick and i guess i have a silky texture according to the LOIS system (i used to think it was thready, still unsure on this one). my son has fine strands and his texture is cottony or wiry, still not sure which.

just piling on more confusion :lol:

JustKiya

Thanks!

I find the above quoted from your blog is basically what I'm talking about... How really does "curl typing" take into account how differently our hair will act.

I think Andre's system is most useful in me figuring out that what works on Becky's hair will not work on my hair... but Mya... she has curly hair and so do I... she has certain hair properties that are similar, although her curl pattern may be looser...

So, do I ignore both Becky and Mya and just search for LaTisha, who's curls look more similar to mine?

:lachen: It makes it insane confusing!! I mean, I can't even 'rattle' off my own hair type - it makes my head hurt! Just saying I'm 4b - while only partially accurate, is just easier!

Personally, I talk to Becky, Mya, and LaTisha - take what my hair likes, leave behind what it doesn't. ;)

FAMUDva

My hair isn't exactly just 4a from looking at pics, but I just basically picked the one that most of my hair resembles and went with it to simplify things :lol:

The basic hair types don't cover everyone, there is way too much variety in people's hair to define them in 11 types (1a/b/c, 2a/b/c, 3a/b/c/ 4a/b). In reality there must be an astounding number of variations and combinations.

I guess people usually don't think about it or realize it.

Hair typing for me is just a rough way to describe your hair.

Like if you said your hair is 4a, I would know it has small coils and not loose curls like a 3a. It's just meant to describe, not define.

I know we all have variations in curl patterns throughout a single head of hair... I guess from looking at Kiya's blog, I agree that the partial useless ness is that the most popular "typing" used on hair boards is really just "curl typing" and doesn't tell us everything about who's hair is most similar as far as what products/ techniques will work.

I guess I'm over curl typing for lack of a better word.

Irresistible

Thanks!

Definitely dont go by what Becky does! :lachen:

ok ok I couldnt resist!

I think you shouldnt ignore anything and if it makes sense to you that it would/might work for your hair I think you should consider it

FAMUDva

I would say they behave differently because the tighter the coil, the drier the hair. Therefore 3c might be the most moist. But of course, DC, heat use and just how well the hair is taken care of can play a role in dryness also.

That's the thing... not all 4a or 4b hair are not moist... at least not in my mind. So, based on the logic, are the tips on biracialhair.org not worth it for those of us with a different curl type?

FAMUDva

Definitely dont go by what Becky does! :lachen:

ok ok I couldnt resist!

I think you shouldnt ignore anything and if it makes sense to you that it would/might work for your hair I think you should consider it

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:
Shoot, many of us go by what Mrs. Patel does...:look:

FAMUDva

depends! see, that's what makes it so hard. i have 3c and 4a on my head, a few 4b patches here and there. mostly the 3c and 4a respond well to the same products, but they do behave differently.

my son has 4a and 4b on his head... he has much tighter shrinkage though. and the 2 textures are like night and day. :look:

but i think the differences in our heads are also that my strands are thick and i guess i have a silky texture according to the LOIS system (i used to think it was thready, still unsure on this one). my son has fine strands and his texture is cottony or wiry, still not sure which.

just piling on more confusion :lol:
:drunk::spinning:

Girl, you got my head spinning! :lachen:

Neith

I wouldn't ignore what Becky does :lachen:

but seriously... does anyone remember the thread about the woman with knee length hair?

Even though her hair wasn't curly she used a lot of the same products (and feasibly a lot of the same techniques) that we do...

FAMUDva

I wouldn't ignore what Becky does :lachen:

but seriously... does anyone remember the thread about the woman with knee length hair?

Even though her hair wasn't curly she used a lot of the same products (and feasibly a lot of the same techniques) that we do...

Girl, when you read most of those products they ARE the same products for them and us... slightly different sometimes, but if you buy the products for Becky that say "damaged" hair, it works fairly good on us... And I don't think Aveda curly hair products are just for us... I guess they work well on Becky's curly haired 2b sister Susan! :look:

JustKiya

And ain't she 1a for real? :lachen:
So, that too makes me more confused. :look:

Actually, most of the Indian women I've met have slightly wavy hair. :lol: They 'value' bone straight hair, though, thus the oiling, because it weighs the hair down and makes it shinier. :look:

FAMUDva

Actually, most of the Indian women I've met have slightly wavy hair. :lol: They 'value' bone straight hair, though, thus the oiling, because it weighs the hair down and makes it shinier. :look:
But it ain't 3-4... at least the ones I work with aren't.

Yeah, they do value more Eurocentric looks...

vlucious

i think they do, i have all four of those types on my head and for the most part the 3c and 4a parts share the same common interests dont get me wrong, they arent identical, but very close. the crown of my head isnt curls per se but just big waves/s-shaped curls and the 4a is spirals and coils and the 4b hair is thick, and seems to sometimes have no "curl pattern" at all. and i can use one product and they basically behave, but the 4b hair is a different story it doesnt react the same. i dont have much 4b, but the parts that i do dont respond well to different products, protein, and usually when the 3c-4a parts are moisturized, i have to go back and check up on those parts. so all n all, i say yes, those three hair types behave differently. but dont think you cant use any advice from someone who has 3c / 4a hair, advice is advice! trial and error.

Qualitee

To have someone relate you to and tell you what hair products work best with a certain hair type. 2a and 3a may not agree with the same products and or reggie. Besides it just nice to know:grin: And yes 3c, 4a and 4b hair does take to things differently

ladylibra

That's the thing... not all 4a or 4b hair are not moist... at least not in my mind. So, based on the logic, are the tips on biracialhair.org not worth it for those of us with a different curl type?

okay, lemme show ya something...

this is my naked hair:

this is my hair picked out (looks 4b right?):

this is my hair after doing Teri's technique (looks 3c):

IMO with afro-textured hair, sometimes it just takes to make it "look" like a different curl type is product and technique. that's the versatility of our hair. :yep: which is another thing that makes typing difficult. i think it should be done on dry hair that hasn't had any extra product added or been styled in any fashion. but how many people with afro-textured hair are really willing to do that? then you gotta re-do your hair to actually style it afterwards :lol:

Last edited:

Irresistible

this is my naked hair:

IMO with afro-textured hair, sometimes it just takes to make it "look" like a different curl type is product and technique. that's the versatility of our hair. :yep: which is another thing that makes typing difficult. i think it should be done on dry hair that hasn't had any extra product added or been styled in any fashion. but how many people with afro-textured hair are really willing to do that? then you gotta re-do your hair to actually style it afterwards :lol:

you know I was gonna say I can make my hair look dang close to 4a or 4b with water, and no products! yup yup

From this

Hosted on Fotki
and this

Hosted on Fotki

To this!

Hosted on Fotki

FAMUDva

this is my naked hair:

Girl, yo fotki is part of the reason it got me thinking... :lachen:That and your video.

Of course there are a bunch of other things I've seen around LHCF over the last 3 years that made me go "hmm". I just never really say anything.

Yeah, product/styling technique, etc does make things look different. That may be one of the reasons I'm confused by many of the "typing" pics I see around the hair boards.