Hair with a mind of it's own - Layer????

diamondlady

My hair decided, all by itself, that it wanted layers. I have been bunning and phony pony for some time. When I finally took my hair down and straighened it, it has decided to be in layers. I DON'T WANT LAYERS. My hair doesn't care. I don't know how this happened???

Do I have to lose length and cut the back until the rest grows out???

LunadeMiel

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:Your post is so funny. My hair does the same too. I know that the front grows at a slower pace than the rest of my head so naturally it grow out in layers.

shtow

I used to think the front of my hair grew slower but it doesn't. At 8 weeks post, I have the same amount of NG on my whole head. Its all about RETAINING length. With all the touching, brushing, gelling, etc we do to the front, it breaks more. Its all about TLC. Since I have been babying the front of my hair, it is retaining more length (although I do slip up sometimes and brush it with some gel).

malibu4590

I think some people's hair just happens to grow that way so it doesn't necessarily mean breakage could have caused it. My hair grows in layers as well. I remember reading a thread not too long ago on here about a young lady who kept cutting her hair because it grew in layers and she realized she was doing it in vain cuz that was just her hair growth pattern. She hendered her progress by cutting every few months.

I used to think the front of my hair grew slower but it doesn't. At 8 weeks post, I have the same amount of NG on my whole head. Its all about RETAINING length. With all the touching, brushing, gelling, etc we do to the front, it breaks more. Its all about TLC. Since I have been babying the front of my hair, it is retaining more length (although I do slip up sometimes and brush it with some gel).

I totally agree :yep:

Wearing a do-rag at night has also helped.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
My hair grows in natural layers as well and it bothers me to no end. I want even hair all the way around but I'm wondering if it's at all possible without cutting, do the layers ever even out?

diamondlady

I think some people's hair just happens to grow that way so it doesn't necessarily mean breakage could have caused it. My hair grows in layers as well. I remember reading a thread not too long ago on here about a young lady who kept cutting her hair because it grew in layers and she realized she was doing it in vain cuz that was just her hair growth pattern. She hendered her progress by cutting every few months.

My hair has never grown in layers. My back usually grows slower than the front & middle. After my last relaxer in December, I noticed that the back has grown from 7" to 10" in the very back (no complaints) but the middle and the front have been breaking because they are the same length.