Hairloss from rollersetting

sheedahp

I've recently started rollersetting verses blowdrying because I hear its healthier for your hair but I notice alot of hair on the floor once I combe the curls out. Some are long but mostly small pieces. Could it be split ends or something Im doing wrong?:sad:

ceebee3

My hair only breaks like that when it's dry and in need of protein. Do you only notice this after setting your hair or does it happen anytime you comb?

Maybe you are putting in the rollers too tight. When you are actually combing and rollersetting while wet, does hair come out? Or have you just been noticing after awhile when your hair is dry.When I first came on this board I learned about ponytail roller sets and I think that broke my hair off in some places b/c I had the little scunchies too tight or when I took them out my hair might have gotten caught in them and that's why I had that problem.

sheedahp

I notice alot more when Im combing out the curls right after I take out the rollers. I see breakage when I'm combing sometimes too but not as bad. I even put my hair in soft rollers one night so I could have curls the next morning and noticed alot of small pieces of hair on the floor. Its mostly when my hair is curled. I dnt understand why that is....
Maybe I am setting my hair too tight but I thought thats what made a successful rollerset.?

sheedahp

Maybe you are putting in the rollers too tight. When you are actually combing and rollersetting while wet, does hair come out? Or have you just been noticing after awhile when your hair is dry.When I first came on this board I learned about ponytail roller sets and I think that broke my hair off in some places b/c I had the little scunchies too tight or when I took them out my hair might have gotten caught in them and that's why I had that problem.[/quote]

I used to have alot of hair come out when it was wet, like back in December and now that I have learned alot from this site I think my hair had too much moisture, so Ive been using reconstructors and protein conditioners weekly and have noticed a big difference when I comb my hair while wet. I used to be so afraid to, but my hair can tolerate it now. I even accused the hair stylist that did my relaxer of leaving it in too long because there was so much hair in the comb when she combed my hair out while wet. My hair even broke off like over night around the nape and edges around that same time, I mean it broke off to the length of the new growth. I switched stylists and started going to the Dominicans and she told me my hair was too thin and I didnt understand what she meant by that but I bought a product she suggested and up the washes to weekly and d/c and noticed a change. But i dont understand these short hair breakages from using rollers.:sad:

We tend to put rollers in too tight sometimes because we want the roots to be straight but breakage is the negative side to this. Also, some people don't like rollerset b/c of the manipulation which can cause breakage.

caramelma

I had this problem when I first started rollersetting and found out that it was the products I was using that was causing dryness when my rollersets dry mostly mousse or setting lotion. Now I use a creamy leave in and water and I dont have that problem anymore

sheedahp

I was thinking the same thing so this time I used cream of nature leave in mixed with SAA and honeyquat. I think I need to pay more attention to how Im allowing the ends of my hair to lay on the rollers and make sure they are wrapped around the roller and not bent, Idk...

910danielle1987

This would happen to me for three reasons:

I was setting the dryer on high heat which made my hair extra dry when it was done

Hadn't detangled my hair good enough before I started rolling it up

Not enough protein

buddhas_mom

I had this problem last night. Mine was caused by using way too much setting lotion in the front. I've never had that problem before last night. The products you use could play a part in your breakage. I never use tissue either.

albane

My personal observation is that I had much more hirloss during the period when I blowdried than since the time I have returned to rollersetting. I just pay attention to not tense too much the rollers in the neck as well as on the (bottom) sides where there are less hair. But that I do not take any precaution and I even dry under a very hot hood dryer. My rollerset are rather heavy with so man rollers, but it never created significant hair loss. However I acknowledge my hair is rather coarse.

MummysGirl

It could be already shed hairs that were not combed out properly while putting in the rollers...

Also... What size rollers are you using? I'd suggest not combing after taking out the rollers especially if you are using small rollers... The smaller the rollers, the curlier the results so when you comb through, there's bound to be a little resistance.

When I takeout my rollers, I fingercomb. When I do rollersets with purple(big) rollers, I finger comb first before I use a comb or brush if I want to wrap it for a straighter look.

Last edited:

*fabulosity*

I was just going to post a question similar to this. I am under the dryer with my denman rollers right now; but it seems like there is sooo much manipulation with rollersetting on the fragile wet hair.. I have to really see how my hair reacts to this..

Because the manipulation is less with the blowdryer.. especially with the bkt.. plus all of the ceramic technology is there to protect the hair... I think if the hair is already in good condition; that it is not that big of a difference between rollersetting and blowdrying/flat ironing... because think about it.. you have to still flat iron the roots most times.

sheedahp

I use the big gray rollers so my curls werent that tight, I just dont understand why most of the hairs were the same length, about 2 inches, its like my ends just break off from being curled:sad:

I had this problem last night. Mine was caused by using way too much setting lotion in the front. I've never had that problem before last night. The products you use could play a part in your breakage. I never use tissue either.

I think you might be right with this. Whenever I was rollersetting at first I was using lottabody but didn't like the feel. Maybe I used too much and it made my hair dry out too much at the roots. But like I said it may have been because I was doing ponytail rollersets and when I took the scunchies out I think hair sometimes came out with it. I do like rollersetting but I don't think I have found the right products for that yet but I do like Lacio Lacio for a leave in though.

BostonMaria

sheedahp, I've been rollersetting since the dinosaurs roamed the earth so I'll try to help you

• What are you using to detangle your hair? I use a wide tooth comb, then the denman to smooth my hair out.
  • Are you using a rat tail comb to section your hair?
  • Use metallic rollers. The soft ones are better if you use them on dry hair and ready to go to bed, or if you have short hair.
  • Keep your hair completely saturated with water. I use a water bottle.
  • Smooth out each section of hair that you are rollersetting or you can cause tangles.
  • Make sure you are completely dry before coming out of the dryer or your hair will frizz.
  • If you blowdry afterwards you could be using too much heat. Do you also flatiron afterwards too? I usually rollerset and dry under the hooded dryer, then I flatiron.
Rollersetting shouldn't cause hair loss and I'm sorry this happened to you.

Here's a link to a rollersetting video I did a few months ago. I hope it helps!
Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBfLHkwEcCM
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocos0ZDKSko&feature=related

Last edited:

ceebee3

Please check the products you are using OP, it sounds like your protein moisture balance is off. Roller setting should not be adding to your hair loss. I found it to be the best way to dry my hair and style it during the week.

Keep us posted.

Nya33

Please check the products you are using OP, it sounds like your protein moisture balance is off. Roller setting should not be adding to your hair loss. I found it to be the best way to dry my hair and style it during the week.

Keep us posted.

Totally agree, i just did a rollerset yesterday and only hair that came out was shed hair. Never broken peices when rollersetting. When i have noticed broken hairs it is either because i need moisture or protein but not due to a rollerset.

Products i use before i rollerset, giovanni direct leave in, aphogee green tea keratin, isoplus 24/7 leave in and s curl at the roots all when my hair is damp.

Don't give up on rollersetting!

Jas123

The Star of a Story
I had this problem when I first started rollersetting and found out that it was the products I was using that was causing dryness when my rollersets dry mostly mousse or setting lotion. Now I use a creamy leave in and water and I dont have that problem anymore
this is what i was going to suggest... some of the setting lotions have ingredients that are very drying

Cherokee-n-Black

I don't think so. Not if you are not using the comb attachment. Which I don't use.

Not using the comb is less damaging than using it, but the heat is more concentrated and directed than a hood dryer, and potentially more damanging. As long as it's working for ya', though, it's all good.

OP, I'm not sure what you're setting with, but you definitely don't want "crispy, cruncy curls," which a lot of setting lotions will give you. Also, if you're not using something that gives some conditioning and a good "seal" on your curls, that could be an issue.

Definitely go for something that will give you a soft set. I have three standby's:
Keracare Wrap/Set Lotion (the regular formula--not extra hold - crispy crunchies!)
Lustrasilk Wave Set - IDK if they make this anymore, but a little dab'll do you--and the curls come out shiny and gorgeous, can't find it in NYC
Lottabody diluted 1:2:1 with water and liquid leave-in - for leave-in's I like Moisture Max Moisture Mist (my new fave) and Elasta H-Two (good n' cheap). My stylist uses Infusium in that blend, which I've heard can be drying for some people on here, but works well for me when I go to him though. HTH!

Solitude

This sounds like regular split ends to me. You probably need a trim, or to moisturize your ends more frequently. Once your hair is healthy, roller-setting, or any other styling technique, won't cause small broken hairs. That's damaged ends.

I know because I used to see hairs all of my shirt daily before I cut off all those dry ends and learned how to take care of them.

sheedahp

sheedahp, I've been rollersetting since the dinosaurs roamed the earth so I'll try to help you

• What are you using to detangle your hair? I use a wide tooth comb, then the denman to smooth my hair out. Yes I use a wide tooth comb as well but Idk what a denman is
  • Are you using a rat tail comb to section your hair? yes
  • Use metallic rollers. The soft ones are better if you use them on dry hair and ready to go to bed, or if you have short hair. I use the big gray rollers is that what u meant by metallic? I also used vent rollers for the first time with my last wash, they worked really well other than the breakage and I used the soft rollers one night on dry hair nice curls the next day but I experienced the same breakage issue as well
  • Keep your hair completely saturated with water. I use a water bottle. Yes I do as well
  • Smooth out each section of hair that you are rollersetting or you can cause tangles. I thnk I do pretty well with detangling
  • Make sure you are completely dry before coming out of the dryer or your hair will frizz. I learned that the hard way:ohwell:
  • If you blowdry afterwards you could be using too much heat. Do you also flatiron afterwards too? I usually rollerset and dry under the hooded dryer, then I flatiron. When i didnt completely dry out under the dryer I would blowdry and flat iron but lately Ive only been rollersetting, i like the results better.

Thnaks so much for your help and concern:yep:

sheedahp

Not using the comb is less damaging than using it, but the heat is more concentrated and directed than a hood dryer, and potentially more damanging. As long as it's working for ya', though, it's all good.

OP, I'm not sure what you're setting with, but you definitely don't want "crispy, cruncy curls," which a lot of setting lotions will give you. Also, if you're not using something that gives some conditioning and a good "seal" on your curls, that could be an issue.

Definitely go for something that will give you a soft set. I have three standby's:
Keracare Wrap/Set Lotion (the regular formula--not extra hold - crispy crunchies!)
Lustrasilk Wave Set - IDK if they make this anymore, but a little dab'll do you--and the curls come out shiny and gorgeous, can't find it in NYC
Lottabody diluted 1:2:1 with water and liquid leave-in - for leave-in's I like Moisture Max Moisture Mist (my new fave) and Elasta H-Two (good n' cheap). My stylist uses Infusium in that blend, which I've heard can be drying for some people on here, but works well for me when I go to him though. HTH!
I've used Cream of Nature conditioning leave in which gave me good results but still experienced breakage I also sealed my ends with oil. Ive also used Aussie's Hair Insurance leave in which seamed to be a little drying and I used Elasta QP Thermal Silk leave in (I think thats what its called) it was ok but I like the CON better. But each time I experienced breakage. Maybe Im using too much product I have a heavy hand.:grin:

sheedahp

This sounds like regular split ends to me. You probably need a trim, or to moisturize your ends more frequently. Once your hair is healthy, roller-setting, or any other styling technique, won't cause small broken hairs. That's damaged ends.

I know because I used to see hairs all of my shirt daily before I cut off all those dry ends and learned how to take care of them.
I get my ends trimmed regularly but Ive just recently started moisturizing my ends and sealing with oil. I use Elasta QP Mango Butter and Profective Healthy Ends so hopefully this will help. Ive gotten somuch great tips and advice from this site and Im loving how much healthier my hair is from rollersetting.:yep: Thanks!

Lady Esquire

• What are you using to detangle your hair? I use a wide tooth comb, then the denman to smooth my hair out.
  • Are you using a rat tail comb to section your hair?
  • Use metallic rollers. The soft ones are better if you use them on dry hair and ready to go to bed, or if you have short hair.
  • Keep your hair completely saturated with water. I use a water bottle.
  • Smooth out each section of hair that you are rollersetting or you can cause tangles.
  • Make sure you are completely dry before coming out of the dryer or your hair will frizz.
  • If you blowdry afterwards you could be using too much heat. Do you also flatiron afterwards too? I usually rollerset and dry under the hooded dryer, then I flatiron.

Great tip on the video about using long bobby pins. I'm gonna try that.