Hairloss from rollersetting

MizzCoco

yes dont give up on rollersetting! My hair used to do this too, until I really started paying attention to my protien/moisture balance as well. Also, my hair was in really bad shape when I first started taking care of it, so it took a while for the health to improve before I saw the benefits of rollersetting.

SelfStyled

yes dont give up on rollersetting! My hair used to do this too, until I really started paying attention to my protien/moisture balance as well. Also, my hair was in really bad shape when I first started taking care of it, so it took a while for the health to improve before I saw the benefits of rollersetting.

This is pretty much what I was going to say, when I first started my hair was so weak, and not to mention I was scurred of big evil protein. Fast forward a year, my hair is much healthier, I use protein, and only loose shed hair from rollersetting.

My advice is to make sure you are incorporating some light protein in your regimen, and also I detangle with a wide tooth comb when rollersetting, and will only use a fine tooth comb if I have to.

hillytmj

Also when you comb the rat comb through your hair, make sure the section is small and that you kind of wiggle the comb through your hair, rather than "force" it through.

I recently started using Chi Straight Gaurd lotion to do my sets, and it gives a nice hold without being hard (like some setting lotions) or drying.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Sounds like you need to use more protein - if your hair is relaxed - us relaxed heads need more protein. Protein is your friend! :yep:

sheedahp

:grin: Ok. Im just afraid of over doing it with protein, I right now I DC with protein once a week on my wash days, should I be doing more? So many of my products have protein, even the conditioners that are moisturizing have some sort of protein.

sheedahp

Ok so I did an Aphogee treatment today for some protein and I still had quite a bit of hair on the floor once I brushed out my curls. Could it be from using the rat tail comb, shouldnt wet hair be combed with a wide tooth comb? :wallbash:

BostonMaria

Ok so I did an Aphogee treatment today for some protein and I still had quite a bit of hair on the floor once I brushed out my curls. Could it be from using the rat tail comb, shouldnt wet hair be combed with a wide tooth comb? :wallbash:

I only use the rat tail comb to section my hair when I'm about to rollerset. I will completely detangle with a wide tooth comb and/or denman brush. By the time the rat tail comb is used to comb that small section of hair my hair is completely detangled.

MizzCoco

Maybe you should try moving up a size in the rollers, to allow the hair to be straighter. This also helped me at first, because the hair is not wrapped around the roller so many times, and could dry evenly. Also check the heat setting on your dryer. HTH

sheedahp

I have the setting on the highest it could go, should I reduce it? Im starting to think Im using too much product as well.

LushLox

This is pretty much what I was going to say, when I first started my hair was so weak, and not to mention I was scurred of big evil protein. Fast forward a year, my hair is much healthier, I use protein, and only loose shed hair from rollersetting.

My advice is to make sure you are incorporating some light protein in your regimen, and also I detangle with a wide tooth comb when rollersetting, and will only use a fine tooth comb if I have to.

I think this is the thing. My hair has gone through years of neglect and poor management, in my view the change is not going to happen overnight or even in months. I'm kinda looking at the improvement of my hair in a sort of three year programme:-

1st year - Healing and personal re-education
2nd year - Growth
3rd year and beyond - Maintenance

Rollersetting (along with other things) has really helped me through, I wouldn't be without it. My hair actually feels strong now and now that it is healthy I'm retaining my length with hardly any breakage.

MrsHouston

I have the setting on the highest it could go, should I reduce it? Im starting to think Im using too much product as well.

Yes, this is considered heat too. You should lower the setting. When I roller set I use the Pibbs on a lower setting, takes longer but its better for your hair health.

MuslimahTresses

This thread has some really nice tips. My last rollerset left me with too much breakage when I combed the curls out. I used 3oz water with 1oz lottabody and chi silk infusion. I think I may need to make sure my hair is extra moisturized before I rollerset. I'm not goign to give up yet. Next time I think will try a moisturizing DC before I rollerset and see how that works.

OP, I hope you find a solution to stop the breakage!

Last edited: