Hairorexia: support please

velvet

I just figured out that I have hairorexia: I have long hair (approx. waist length), but when I look in the mirror every day I am totally disappointed. :perplexed In fact, it's part of the reason that I hardly ever post to this forum, although I've been a member forever.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any friendly words to help me "snap out it"?

I'm normally a confident person. But I admit, in this area I am insecure. I'm posting this picture, so that I can come out of the closet and start being open with my journey like everyone I admire on this board.

Attachments

• stretchcompressed.jpg
    stretchcompressed.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 128
I just figured out that I have hairorexia: I have long hair (approx. waist length), but when I look in the mirror every day I am totally disappointed. :perplexed In fact, it's part of the reason that I hardly ever post to this forum, although I've been a member forever.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any friendly words to help me "snap out it"?

I'm normally a confident person. But I admit, in this area I am insecure. I'm posting this picture, so that I can come out of the closet and start being open with my journey like everyone I admire on this board.

What in the world are you disappointed about? You have the hair the most of us are dying to have. Long, WL hair!

Learn to love what you're working it. Half the women would kill to have what you have. And you're natural??? What!!

Hon, take another look in the mirror - it's gorgeous

Wow Velvet....

Your hair is gorgeous. You are what my hair wants to look like when it grows up. And you are a natural to boot.

There will be soooo many naturals that would love for you to be their big sis to help them on their journey - That would be my sugeestion.

I understand just like people who have anorexia feel fat, and no matter how many people tell them that they are thin, they just don't see it.

Maybe if you take the focus off your hair - and start by sharing your regime- I am sure a lot of people would love to know how you managed to maintain all that hair / How do you wash it etc

Start small in terms of engaging on the board - I am also a lurker as well.

But realise that you have amazing hair and there are some people that might sell their right arm just be be close to where you are.

Woman! Your hair is AMAZING:yep:.

All I could suggest is writing down why you feel disapointed with your hair?

It may be irrational and when you strip the reason theres nothing there, or posssibly it may be something other than length that you want.

I have an idea: I'll give you my hair and I'll take yours! :evillaugh:

Girl, stop trippin' and put a smile on that face. You have GORGEOUS hair! :blowkiss:

Let me tell U that I looove your hair and I pray that I will reach your lenght :love::droolingsnext year
I hear you.. I hope that my own hairnorexia will end at waistlenght:ohwell:

Awww :bighug: Did you take progress pics? Looking at my old pictures always helps me appreciate my progress.

Awww :bighug: Did you take progress pics? Looking at my old pictures always helps me appreciate my progress.

I agree with Sareca and take a lot of pics of your hair natural and flat ironed in different positions IMHO it will help U:yep:

Last edited:
Girl I almost pm'ed a mean message to you but then I thought maybe she really thinks her hair is not nice. You have great hair if post another mesage about how your hair is not nice I will:axehunter:

I thought mine Hairorexia was bad

Girl!!!

You wanna do some counseling?

:lol:

Cuz I need some too ..

You have gorgeous hair! Wow, I thought I was hard on myself...What exactly are you disappointed in????????? You have what some women on this board are striving for. Cheer up! Keep posting!

Your hair nothing to be disappointed in, but I do know what you mean. Even though my hair is at its longest right now, I can't really appreciate it because I want waist length so bad. It's too easy to obsess over and only see the things you don't like about your hair. You have to see the positive and stop obsessing a little less everyday. It is only hair, after all. Be grateful for what you have because it could be so much worse. Rejoice in your beautiful waist length hair. I know I will if I get there. Good luck. :yawn:

Your hair is gorgeous! It has to be in your head because looking at your hair you should not have ANY disappointment. Many of us thrive to have your hair. Congratulations and keep up the good work!

Just wanted to say that your hair is so georgeous. I'm off to go look at your fotki now.

Oh, and please come out of the closet and post. We'd love to hear what you have to say! Hope to see you around.

Girl your hair is gorgeous. Learn to enjoy it. I suffer from hairorexia sometimes too cause I live among Indians and on any given day I see tons of women with more hair than me.
What should help is looking back at old photos when your hair wasn't so long or so healthy.

WHAAAAT?! Your hair is the business! I'd kill to have it. Like someone else said, do you have any progress pics from when your hair wasn't so healthy so you can see how far you've come?

I know what you mean, Velvet, especially with natural hair that shrinks...
But - your hair is gorgeous :love:
You have nothing to worry about!

:rolleyes: WoW and here I am obessing over reaching ARMPIT length!

Girl - like everyone else have siad your hair is beautiful and you should be proud about how far you've came, but I understand that it is human nature to always strive for the "next" level.

I think us naturals may suffer from this alittle more because shrinkage makes it so hard to see your true length. :wallbash: I don't want to have keep "pulling" on my ends for people to realize that my hair has reached waist length someday!:nono:

I kinda feel the same way, I just don't talk about it. I think my hair is about the same length as yours. Whenever I have those feelings, I try to correct them immediately and turn that energy into gratitude. But I can relate to what you are saying. Anyway, I look forward to seeing posts from you now. I hope you'll share with us some of your hair journey.

Your hair (and skin as spicykitten also stated) is GORGEOUS! I understand exactly what you mean. It could also have something to do with your gaol. If your goal is say, ankle length and you're waist, it leaves a lot to be desired in your mind. :( But those of us at much shorter lengths who see your current hair length as our goals are like "??? WHY would you feel that way???"

On Sunday, I wore my hair in a ponytail and my best friend asked "Is that all your hair? It's so long" and I started sulking about how it's not long at all and no where near what long hair is, having some of the gorgeous heads of hair on this board (and my goal length) in my mind. She ran her hands over her neck length hair and said "I would kill to be where you are right now." I guess "grass is greener" syndrome comes into play sometimes as well.

If you have progress pictures, look back on them. Sometimes we feel so STUCK at one length, but seeing that it grew and is STILL growing gives us hope that we will get where we want to be! Please keep posting!!
~*Janelle~*

:wow: so in a few years this could be me:grin: well I don't think I'll have hairoxia I'll be loving and flaunting my prreetttyyy:look:

Last edited:
A girlfriend of mine told me that once I get to my first hair goal it will NEVER be enough.
I'm not sure if u r unhappy about the length,multiple lengths? or texture of your hair. Either way, we as humans are sometimes never satisfied. I guess we are just programmed that way.
Personally i think your hair looks great. In saying that WE ALL have things that we would like to improve about ourselves.
But u called your post Hairorexia...sort of a play on anorexia so i guess you have long hair but see it as short...just like being skinny but see ur self as fat...or is that bulimia?
I don't know...either way...
Try to enjoy ur length because you do have a highly desired length...
Secondly, sets some goals...is it growing out layers, do u desire all over hair strength?
Evaluate the problem because WE are having trouble finding a problem with ur hair.
Once u evaluate what u want to change...go ahead and take the proper steps.
good luck...but u really don't need it..:grin:
Take care.

Girl, do not trip. Your hair is fantabulous.

Tag! You've been added to my hair inspiration list! :grin:

Please tell us your routine. :yep:

Back