Has LHCF made anyone consider cosmetology?

SummerSolstice

im in hair school right now its amazing. have fun girl! don't let anything discourage you. there is so much money to be made. get some mentors and explore all your options and find out what your niche is!

Minty

I just registered for class yesterday! I start in July part-time, this way I can still keep my day job and my weekends. I got great financial aid as well... I can't wait!! And yes, my previously natural journey, return to relaxed and LHCF totally gave me the confidence I needed. I'll probably blog about it once I get started.

Does anyone have a recommendations on reading material to keep me occupied until July? Aside from combing the LHCF archives of course...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

go to behindthechair . com for reading material and Americansalon magazine.

Cosmetology licensing is not hair care. Hair care is a specialized area just like cutting and color. It is something you decide to specialize in after you obtain your license. Some of the information given on this forum is accurate and some of it is not; you will slowly begin learning this, and increase comprehension of the business of beauty and its science on your own, if that is your goal and focus.

Also, begin learning Hair chemistry and product knowledge - it helps greatly in determining the ways in which hair interacts with chemicals.

Begin reading and learning hair, nail, and skeletal anatomy - specifically the facial bones/muscles/nerves, and nail anatomy. It will give you a leg up above on your coursework and tests.

Purchase extra mannequin heads and begin practicing rollersets (if you already have rollers)

Invest in a good set of round brushes (folica . com) has some of the best brushes by Monroe.

Also purchase the set of carbon combs, and locate the beauty supply (NOT SALLY's) in your area - make the girls there you friends!

Begin learning color theory - how primary, secondary, tertiary colors interact. Purchase food color in red, blue, yellow - practice mixing to see what colors come up. Begin checking out books on color theory (art books).

Have fun and read, read, read.

Salsarisma

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

go to behindthechair . com for reading material and Americansalon magazine.

Cosmetology licensing is not hair care. Hair care is a specialized area just like cutting and color. It is something you decide to specialize in after you obtain your license. Some of the information given on this forum is accurate and some of it is not; you will slowly begin learning this, and increase comprehension of the business of beauty and its science on your own, if that is your goal and focus.

Also, begin learning Hair chemistry and product knowledge - it helps greatly in determining the ways in which hair interacts with chemicals.

Begin reading and learning hair, nail, and skeletal anatomy - specifically the facial bones/muscles/nerves, and nail anatomy. It will give you a leg up above on your coursework and tests.

Purchase extra mannequin heads and begin practicing rollersets (if you already have rollers)

Invest in a good set of round brushes (folica . com) has some of the best brushes by Monroe.

Also purchase the set of carbon combs, and locate the beauty supply (NOT SALLY's) in your area - make the girls there you friends!

Begin learning color theory - how primary, secondary, tertiary colors interact. Purchase food color in red, blue, yellow - practice mixing to see what colors come up. Begin checking out books on color theory (art books).

Have fun and read, read, read.

Wow...great advice and info. Where do you suggest to start researching hairchemistry and product knowledge? I want to learn more about ingredients without using the Internet all the time. Any specific books you would suggest?

Avaya

I just registered for class yesterday! I start in July part-time, this way I can still keep my day job and my weekends. I got great financial aid as well... I can't wait!! And yes, my previously natural journey, return to relaxed and LHCF totally gave me the confidence I needed. I'll probably blog about it once I get started.

Does anyone have a recommendations on reading material to keep me occupied until July? Aside from combing the LHCF archives of course...

Hey, what school are you going to that doesn't have you working on Saturday?

KasandraT

I'm am actually currently in cometology school and this site works wonders for me it actually helps me a lot with school projectss and contests that we have

LovelyNaps26

people ask me for hair advice all the time, so i wouldn't rule it out. ideally i could do a hair product/salon thing like miss jessie's and their salon and train disadvantaged women and formerly incarcerated women to do natural hair (i have a heart for the population and my grad research is related to this). i'll consider something if i get to waist length by spring 2012. being a coarse 4a/4b, whose 5'9" and started on lhcf with SL hair in november of 2009, that would be a major achievement. i already made it to apl so, who knows?

Last edited:

blackberry815

I too am considering it now... I've always done everyone's hair in my family.. But I pursued a career in accounting instead. I hate accounting... I think its time.

westNDNbeauty

People think that I have or say that I should when they realize I do my own hair, but hairdressers stand on their feet for long periods of time...

owning a shop would be the closest I'd come.

Congrats to those that have!

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I'm sitting at Cosmo school as I type. I love it! This site is the reason I found my passion and I definitely use it as my secondary source for info after my textbooks. I don't even listen to the instructors. :grin:

Sent from TopNotch1010's iPhone using LHCF

natural_one

Not really cosmetology, but making products and selling them. My sister and I are both natural and are seriously contemplating starting a business.

billyne

i've been a licensed cosmetologist since '87 but i only do nails. but being a member of this site makes me give the 26 hairdressers i work with the side-eye.:look::nono: