So i'm a cosmetology student...

ashleymichelle1

Ok so last year I started going to Aveda Insitute of Cosmetology..I learned absolutely nothing at that school and there was alot of drama so I transferred to another school. I just started last week at my new school and I feel like I'm getting a better education. My teacher is pretty good, she's old school and she stresses that as hair stylist we need to help people get HEALTHY HAIR and not just styling people's hair. She has grey hair and wears a press n curl..she relaxes once a year. Her hair is beautiful..I feel blessed to have an instructor that actually cares about her own hair unlike the ones at my old school.... Shes a good teacher but she still says some things I don't agree with or that just don't sound right to me..for example she said relaxed hair should be detangled with a brush..Is that right ? lol

So basically I need some tips and feedback...I wanna be a good hair stylist and I have learned a ton of healthy hair tips while reading this forum. The main thing I need help with is relaxed hair..im natural and when I had relaxed hair it looked like crap..lol so I just need some relaxed hair advice..does anyone know of any good relaxed hair blogs?

Natural ladies I need some advice also...what do u look for in a stylist? what hair styles would u want her to know how to do? advice? ect

I should be graduating summer 2011 and I cannot wait..Hair stylists get a really bad rap but I want to be a good stylist thats knows her stuff and can help women get beautiful hair..not destroy it! lol

Mrs. Verde

Great post. Let me think about it and come back.

ETA - more than anything I want a stylist who is concerned with the health of my hair. Also, I want a stylist that is going to listen to me. If I tell you that I only want 1 inch cut off, then only cut 1 inch (even if you think 2 inches is best).

Regarding styles I would like diversity. I want to see a portfolio of your actual work. Before and after pictures are great if you are doing a cut or color. Not just hair books. Good luck.

Last edited:

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
Hey!

First let me say that you are very pretty young lady. Ok so now that, that is over I want to say if you or anyone else come at my head with a brush I will be running out and never coming back.
IMO if you are trying to detangle with a brush you are highly prone to breakage and split ends. They make special combs just for this reason. I just see my hair being pulled and snapping.

This of course is just my opinion and I am sure others will chime in.

ashleymichelle1

Hey!

First let me say that you are very pretty young lady. Ok so now that, that is over I want to say if you or anyone else come at my head with a brush I will be running out and never coming back.
IMO if you are trying to detangle with a brush you are highly prone to breakage and split ends. They make special combs just for this reason. I just see my hair being pulled and snapping.

Thank you! & Lmaoo I knew that didn't sound right..I would NEVER EVER detangle my hair with a brush. My instructor said detangle everyones hair with a brush unless it's very thick and/or natural...I was like WHAT?!!

Chevelure618

Brush? On relaxed hair? Never. I started with the Cathy Howse REgimen and one of her rules is NO BRUSHES. Period. I haven't brushed my hair in 3 years and the only time I touch one is to LIGHTLy smooth my edges when I wear my hair back. Ever since, my hair is doing MUCH better...less splits.

Urban

Hmm, on the contrary, a friend of my with pure African 4c type hair grew her hair out to about BSL (natural) using a paddle brush. I cringed every time she mentioned it. But it obviously worked for her. The thing is though, she also preaches the whole 'treat your hair like fine silk' message. So I'm guessing that although she used a brush, she was extra gentle, so still managed to retain a lot of length.

I think it would be good to ask your instructor WHY a brush is better than a comb/ wide tooth comb. She may give you an answer that may be worth while listening to. Also, if she's someone who promotes having healthy hair, I doubt she would use a brush if it was breaking her clients' hair off .... she maybe using it in a way that's safe. So ask her HOW she uses it, because it's not just about products and tools, it's also about technique. lol, like I said, I cringe at the thought of using a brush and as I read your post, I imagined someone using a brush on wet relaxed hair *ohthehorror!!!:blush:* lol. BUT she may be using it differently.

Let her know your concerns about brushes and ask her how she avoids those problems for her clients. Of course, let us know what you find out! :yep:

Tiye

Hmm, on the contrary, a friend of my with pure African 4c type hair grew her hair out to about BSL (natural) using a paddle brush. I cringed every time she mentioned it. But it obviously worked for her. The thing is though, she also preaches the whole 'treat your hair like fine silk' message. So I'm guessing that although she used a brush, she was extra gentle, so still managed to retain a lot of length.

I think it would be good to ask your instructor WHY a brush is better than a comb/ wide tooth comb. She may give you an answer that may be worth while listening to. Also, if she's someone who promotes having healthy hair, I doubt she would use a brush if it was breaking her clients' hair off .... she maybe using it in a way that's safe. So ask her HOW she uses it, because it's not just about products and tools, it's also about technique. lol, like I said, I cringe at the thought of using a brush and as I read your post, I imagined someone using a brush on wet relaxed hair *ohthehorror!!!:blush:* lol. BUT she may be using it differently.

Let her know your concerns about brushes and ask her how she avoids those problems for her clients. Of course, let us know what you find out! :yep:

I recommend a paddle brush for anyone with very tightly coiled hair. The teeth are flexible, and they have rubber tips. Wide toothed combs may be good for people with curls or coils big enough for the teeth to pass through but for tiny coils - not good because you're not going to get the tangles out. A good stylist has to be able to look at hair, assess it, and make a decision about the best tools and products to get the job done. There is no one size fits all for any of this.

OP - sorry to hear aveda didn't work out for you. I've been wanting to go to one of their institutes for a while (makes sense since I've been using their products forever). Anyway it's good that you made the decision to get out and go someplace that's a better fit.

nappystorm

Good Lawd. Keep reading the forum and you should do fine. There are plenty of resources for relaxed hair too. Also try Youtube. And for the love of your hair sisters, please please don't become scissor happy. I don't care what they tell you, 3 inches in NOT a trim!!

Urban

I recommend a paddle brush for anyone with very tightly coiled hair. The teeth are flexible, and they have rubber tips. Wide toothed combs may be good for people with curls or coils big enough for the teeth to pass through but for tiny coils - not good because you're not going to get the tangles out. A good stylist has to be able to look at hair, assess it, and make a decision about the best tools and products to get the job done. There is no one size fits all for any of this.

Exactly, this is why I said the OP should ask the teacher to explain. OP, don't put off things just because they aren't LHCF approved. Think analytically for yourself and weigh up what you hear from your teacher and what you read on here. Empirically, does a brush cause that much more breakage? Which tool contributes more to single strand knots and split ends? Which tool does a better detangling job? Empirically, not by opinion.

BC2/4/06

What type of paddle brush would you recommend? I like your theory!

ashleymichelle1

I go back to school tuesday and i'm definitely gonna ask her to go more in depth about the brush thing. The thing is it wasn't even a paddle brush but one of those plastic bristle brushes ! lol...shes supposed to actually demonstrate washing and brushing on tuesday so i'll let ya'll know how that goes...

ashleymichelle1

@ NAPPYSTORM Lol I promise I WILL NOT be scissor happy! when I cut hair I usually don't take enough off and have to go back...I would much rather have to go back than to chop off too much!

Last edited:

danysedai

I agree with asking the teacher and then, depending on what she says then you make your own decision. For my hair (relaxed) I always detangle with a wide tooth shower comb in the shower first and for rollersets I use a fine tooth comb as my hair has been throughly detangled and I do not lose hair that way. Yesterday I was rollersetting and couldn't find my fine tooth comb and use a small boar brush to smooth the hair for the rollers and I could feel it ripping through my hair (and I had already detangled with a wide tooth comb).

If you read the threads about bad stylists you'll know what most clients don't like (tardiness,being scissor happy, gossipping, and above all, not listening).

Just by being here and asking that question, you are showing that you care about your future job and will be an excellent hairdresser :)

southerncitygirl

Hey!

this is not true, my stylist detangles with a paddle brush and i've used them too.....these and shower combs make detangling a breeze.

southerncitygirl

most of what you learn will happen with your clients as opposed to in the classroom and most schools don't teach anything but chemical application and scorching someone's hair with heat......i wish you well and am glad you feel like you're learning more from this teacher. i think this forum will continue to teach you lots as well :)