help me create a regimen please???

aliceo

Hi Ladies,

I've had a little setback recently and I think I really need a new regimen. Actually i need to get a regimen period :blush: My stylist had started using super strength relaxer instead of the medium strength I started out with, without me knowing (I have to take my glasses off when she starts on my hair). Long story short I had a lot of breakage and had to cut 3-4inches off about 3 weeks ago. I am now at APL, and it feels healthy and thick again.

I need suggestions for products and styles.... should I be going to a salon every week/two weeks?

A little info - I have FINE 4b hair, colored with elasta qp blue indigo. Texlaxed with optimum multimineral. bone straight hair is was too thin for my head :ohwell:

I am thinking about switching to Mizani BB - good idea?

I wash once per week with whatever is in the bathroom (dove/nizoral).

I use Motions CPR conditioner or NTM daily conditioner. I have just bought Pantene R&N mask but have not used it.

Moisturizers I have: Mizani h20 cream, elasta qp mango butter, talia waajid protective mist bodifier ( have not used bc it smells like Vicks)

oils: coconut and olive oil.

Can I make a regimen with these things? What products would you add?
Should I be wearing a wash and go (looks great, but ++ knots) or should I be doing rollersets (++manipulation)?

I really want to maintain my ends and retain some growth now- I'm tired of APL:nono:

Sorry so long, but I need HELP!:wallbash:

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I definitely wouldn't recommend going to a stylist every 1-2 weeks, especially one as sneaky as the one you have :ohwell:

You can easily build a reggie with the things you have :yep: Shampoo and dc once a week. Moisturize twice daily, in the morning and at night. In the morning you can spray on some Bodifier and at night you can use Mizani.

I love the Bodifier, it's a really good moisturizer!

AVE One

I agree with Tiffers. Also make sure you maintain a good moisture/protein balance. Hopefully your existing products will help you achieve that (I am not familiar with all of those you listed). For retention I suggest moisturising and doing protective styling to reach your next goal such as various bun styles and updos. I don't know if you wet bun but I know some people have had much success with that in retaining growth.

Pretty hair by the way:yep:

Mz.Shug

Hi Ladies,

I've had a little setback recently and I think I really need a new regimen. Actually i need to get a regimen period :blush: My stylist had started using super strength relaxer instead of the medium strength I started out with, without me knowing (I have to take my glasses off when she starts on my hair). Long story short I had a lot of breakage and had to cut 3-4inches off about 3 weeks ago. I am now at APL, and it feels healthy and thick again.

My first suggestion is that if your going to a stylist BE 100% aware of what's about to happen. And I mean from the get go....before he/she lays a finger on your hair.Tell them what you want/don't want and ask what kind of products they use/want to use.They may get upset or annoyed but guess what...it YOUR HAIR!!!:yep:

I need suggestions for products and styles.... should I be going to a salon every week/two weeks?

Personally speaking, I don't have the money to go every week/2 weeks. Even if I did I wouldn't...some of the things necessary to achieve healthy hair I can do at home myself.(Shampoo,DC,Rollerset and style) And I must say it's fun! You need to get personal with your hair and this gives you the oppurtunity to try different products to see what your hair likes/dislikes...Honestly, that's your stepping stone to building a solid reggie.

A little info - I have FINE 4b hair, colored with elasta qp blue indigo. Texlaxed with optimum multimineral. bone straight hair is was too thin for my head :ohwell:

I honestly can't tell ya. I wouldn't want to lead you wrong.If there's a paticular relaxer you've been using that your comfortable with maybe you should stick with it:look: If you do choose to switch, make sure you do your homework. Ask some of the other ladies how this product worked for them..

Does this work for you? If you find your hair is still dry bump up your washing to 2x's a week DC on both days with a moisturizing conditioner.

otions CPR conditioner or NTM daily conditioner. I have just bought Pantene R&N mask but have not used it.

Moisturizers I have: Mizani h20 cream, elasta qp mango butter, talia waajid protective mist bodifier ( have not used bc it smells like Vicks)

When it comes to products it's really touch and go. You have to find what works for your hair.Keep a notebook and write what product you used, how it made your hair feel, and on a scale of 1to10 how did you like it.

Should I be wearing a wash and go (looks great, but ++ knots) or should I be doing rollersets (++manipulation)?

I really want to maintain my ends and retain some growth now- I'm tired of APL:nono:

If breakage is a setback for you,you may want to consider wearing a protective style that keeps your hair up and off of your clothes...the rubbing can cause breakage. Oh, that reminds me ..if you don't already please WRAP your hair before going to bed.

Please note that all of this is written in my most humble opinion. I really hope this helps! Here are 2 links for articles that aided in me creating my hair reggie...happy growing!

http://www.hairoil.com/hairguides/practicalguide.htm
(Please note that I don't buy thier prooducts, but I have found the advice VERY helpful)

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=5635&highlight=found

Mrs.Fitness

I am not trying to make fun of you not being able to see what your stylist is doing because your glasses are of is funny:lachen: I have the exact same problem. I am blind as a bat without glasses or contacts. Someone could rob me blind if my glasses are off.

Also, I am not hating on your stylist but she knows what kind of relaxer she usually uses. Why would she change it to a "super" The first step I would take for a new regimen is to get a new stylist or learn to do your hair yourself.

I_shure_do_wish

Hi Ladies,

I use Motions CPR conditioner or NTM daily conditioner. I have just bought Pantene R&N mask but have not used it.

I say skip the salon, I know the tale all to well and I myself have glasses, you cant imagine the number of times I walk of the salon angry and upset because I couldn't see what she was doing. Anyways back to regimen building.

Why dont you create a very simple reigmen which will be your base and if you want to add techiniques and make alterations it shouldn't be a problem.

Also finding staples that work for your hair also helps. I find that switching products and choosing products a nose dive doesn't work and you just become a PJ.

Here's a basioc reigmen you can adopt and put your products where they fit:

: Shampoo and deep condition weekly.
: Apply Leave ins.
: Moisturizing and sealing x2 daily
: Air dry in twists/bun or Blow dry on cool air. (Try bantu Knots, or rollersets).
Here's a link to 101 protective styles
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=212633
: Try finger combing and only combing on wash days
: limit your heat

Just throwing some ideas.:grin:

swalker31

Hi Aliceo,
Why are you going to a stylist every week or two weeks. Girl do it yourself and go to her for relaxing only. You don't need a professional to do that. What are your staples?

aliceo

I definitely wouldn't recommend going to a stylist every 1-2 weeks, especially one as sneaky as the one you have :ohwell:

I was thinking of going to another place. It's Dominican, but I wouldn't get blow-outs.

I don't know if you wet bun but I know some people have had much success with that in retaining growth.

Pretty hair by the way:yep:

Thanks :) I will try to wet bun. Do I keep it in the whole week?

Personally speaking, I don't have the money to go every week/2 weeks.

Me neither :ohwell: but for my hair....

Even if I did I wouldn't...some of the things necessary to achieve healthy hair I can do at home myself.(Shampoo,DC,Rollerset and style) And I must say it's fun! You need to get personal with your hair and this gives you the oppurtunity to try different products to see what your hair likes/dislikes...Honestly, that's your stepping stone to building a solid reggie.

If you find your hair is still dry bump up your washing to 2x's a week DC on both days with a moisturizing conditioner.

I'm a medical student.... I barely have time to wash once a week....

When it comes to products it's really touch and go. You have to find what works for your hair.Keep a notebook and write what product you used, how it made your hair feel, and on a scale of 1to10 how did you like it.

Good idea!

If breakage is a setback for you,you may want to consider wearing a protective style that keeps your hair up and off of your clothes...the rubbing can cause breakage. Oh, that reminds me ..if you don't already please WRAP your hair before going to bed.

Sounds good. I'll try wet bunning like the other poster suggested.

I am not trying to make fun of you not being able to see what your stylist is doing because your glasses are of is funny:lachen: I have the exact same problem. I am blind as a bat without glasses or contacts. Someone could rob me blind if my glasses are off.

Also, I am not hating on your stylist but she knows what kind of relaxer she usually uses. Why would she change it to a "super"

I had APL length natural hair when I started going to her about 3 years ago, I think. I told her I didn't want it bone straight, so we agreed on using medium strength. Several months ago I wore contacts to the salon and I saw she took it from the 'super' jar. I asked her what she was doing and she said this is what i 've been getting regularly. She always use to act like she didn't know what I was talking about when i said i had a lot of straight parts in my hair. :wallbash:

The first step I would take for a new regimen is to get a new stylist or learn to do your hair yourself.

Thanks for the suggestions ladies, I really appreciate it. Is there a better brand of shampoo I could use?

Last edited:

aliceo

Thanks I_shure_do_wish and swalker.
That is a good regi.

I'm not going to the salon regularly at the moment, I just wasn't sure if I should start so that my hair is better cared for...

Oh yeah - another quick question. Are motions CPR or Pantene R&N mask appropriate for deep conditioning? Do they have protein in them?

Thanks

Last edited: