Henna Recipes

atlqt

Hello LHCF Sisters! This is my first post and I'm delighted to be apart of a strong and smart group of women on the hair journey. The insight in AMAZING!

I'm getting more and more tempted to try henna for strengthening and coloring my relaxed, 4a, fine hair. There is a great thread in progress, but it's getting huge due to the increased interest. Can we start a fresh thread strictly for henna recipes here for those who'd like to try it? The hennaforhair site is great, but I want to hear from my sisters whom I trust.

Hair Type: (3a, 4b, etc.)
Hair State: (Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, etc.)
Use Henna for: (Covering grey, color, strengthening, etc.)
Been a "Henna Junkie" for how long?:
How often do you Henna?:
Henna recipe/instructions:
Makes my hair the following color:
I purchase my henna products from:

Thanks Ladies!!! ;)

Cichelle

I am still figuring out what my recipe will be, but THANK YOU for starting this thread! Great idea!

WomanlyCharm

I mixed up my henna last night using spring water, gelled pectin, EVOO, rosemary oil and a tablespoon of ACV.
Then put it aside to let the dye release.
Can't wait to get home and slap it on!

Hair Type: 4b
Hair State: relaxed
Use Henna for: Covering grey and strengthening
Been a "Henna Junkie" for how long?:starting tonight!
How often do you Henna?:
Makes my hair the following color: we'll see!
I purchase my henna products from: hennaforhair.com

Last edited:

sareca

Hair Type: 4a
Hair State: texlaxed
Use Henna for: Originally for covering grey. Now for color and strengthening
Been a "Henna Junkie" for how long?: Since May 2006 after a bad temp dye experience
How often do you Henna?: Every Friday that I'm not braided. While braided do amla rinses
Henna recipe/instructions:http://public.fotki.com/Serica/hair_to_stay/regime/henna_mix.html
Makes my hair the following color: http://public.fotki.com/Serica/hair_to_stay/2006/may_2006/hennad_hair/
http://public.fotki.com/Serica/hair_to_stay/2006/august_2006/indigod/
http://public.fotki.com/Serica/hair_to_stay/2006/august_2006/2nd_indigo/
I purchase my henna products from: Mehndiskinart.com, hennaforhair.com, FromNatureWithLove.com

Last edited:

HoneyDew

Hair Type: (3a, 4b, etc.) 4xyz
Hair State: (Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, etc.) relaxed
conditioning
Been a "Henna Junkie" for how long?: 5 days so far :D
How often do you Henna?: I have only used it once. I am going to try it once a week.
I am still learning. I am going to try some new things. I actually used the "neutral" henna, which is the cassia stuff. I mixed 2 oz. of it with a cup of boiling water.
Makes my hair the following color: The product I used did not change my hair color.
I purchase my henna products from: I bought that batch locally, but I will be using the batch of cassia obovata I bought from http://www.mehandi.com/shop/cassiaobovatabuy.html and the batch of Rhazya stricta I bought from http://www.everydayhenna.com/herb_hair.html in the future. I also have a sample of the regular red henna that I will try after I get some indigo to mix it with.

LaNecia

Hair Type: (3a, 4b, etc.) 4a/b
Hair State: (Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, etc.)Relaxed Ends/Texlaxed roots, transitioning to completely texlaxed
Use Henna for: (Covering grey, color, strengthening, etc.)Primarily conditioning, strengthening and color.
Been a "Henna Junkie" for how long?:November 2005 :yay:
How often do you Henna?:Weekly
Henna recipe/instructions:Mehandi Henna (4 tbsp), Amla Powder (2 tbsp), Shikakai Powder (2 tbsp), Bhringraj Powder (2 tbsp), Bhrami Powder (2 tbsp) & Hibiscus 1/2 cup. Water base (tea) using (1/3 cup of each): Stinging Nettles, Horsetail, Rosemary Leaves & Elderberry. My terp of choice is Citric Acid powder (it's odorless). My henna sits 24 hours to terp, applied to hair for 3-4 hours.
Makes my hair the following color: Dark Auburn
Local Indian grocery store,FNWL & HennaforHair.com

ajargon02

http://www.hennaforhair.com/ this is the site that I bought my henna off of. Great experience! Got my stuff quick, excellent customer service, they even have samples! There's a page that explaines what henna is, the types of henna, and how to use it, what to mix it with and more! Great info on it!

http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/index.html
This is the link, with photos of the hair before/after shots of people using henna for coloring purposes, and what their mix was,and their experience w/ how it worked out! I love this site! the henna that they use, is body quality, so you can use it even if you had had other chemical services, and it won't melt your hair. Check it out!

Queenie

Hair Type: 4a
Hair State: Texturized
Use Henna for: color, strengthening
Been a "Henna Junkie" for how long?: 1 month (I've done it twice) :D
How often do you Henna?: I think it will be 1/month
Henna recipe/instructions: 100g henna, 8oz lemon juice, 50g pectin, 8 oz water
Makes my hair the following color: auburn highlights
I purchase my henna products from: A Muslim store nearby. Whole foods sells it too.

I like the Jamila brand the best and the price is low from my supplier. :grin:

Neroli

Hair Type: 4b

Hair State: relaxed

Use Henna for: originally for covering grey and now for strength, conditioning & covering greys

Been a "Henna Junkie" for how long?: 8 weeks and counting

How often do you Henna?: Weekly

Henna recipe/instructions: I keep my henna mixes very simple: henna powder and 1/2 ACV, 1/2 distilled water. Mix ACV and distilled water and microwave a few seconds until WARM (not hot). Add enough ACV solution to henna powder mixing well into a soft paste. Cover paste with plastic and then aluminium foil and let sit at least 10 hours. Apply to hair and leave on 1 to 3 hours. Rinse thorougly followed by deep moisturizing condish. I add any "extras" like oils, honey, etc. to my condish.

Makes my hair the following color: Greys are Golden Red; rest of hair is Rich Dark Reddish Brwon

I purchase my henna products from: www.fromnaturewithlove.com

douglala

Hair Type: 4B
Hair State: texlaxed roots, relaxed ends
Use Henna for: Conditioning, coloring and Strength
Been a "Henna Junkie" for how long?: about 5 weeks
How often do you Henna?: at minimum once a week sometimes every 5 days
Henna recipe/instructions: I add distilled water, a little bit on lemon juice, geled pectin, EVOO, honey, Rosemary oil to my mix.
Makes my hair the following color: henna only=redish brown, henna/indigo=auburn-ish brown, indigo=black
I purchase my henna products from: hennaforhair but my next purchase may be from fromnaturewithlove or Mehndi

HoneyDew

I am going to using Surya Henna powder tonight. The kit includes pure honey to mix in and I am excited to try that.

I used tap water the last time, btu Iam going to use distilled tonight.

CynamonKis

Simplicity is sweet indeed. I haven't henna'd in a couple of years and I used to use Ahmad from eveydayhenna.com (which turned my hair a beautiful red, the way I liked it). Now that HennaJoy has passed on I will have to develop my own recipe

I got totally confused by all of the hair recipes shown on hennaforhair.com. I may try your simple recipe, Neroli.

I guess am 4 b, relaxed with phyto
Henna for about 2 months now, just stared using henna once a week for 2 hours.
I use jamila henna mixed with Neem, Amla, tulsi and Aritha powder about a tablespoon of each one. Warm water and a little bit of lemon juice.
My hair has an burgandy tone to it now, I guess due to oxidation, use to have a reddish tone to it. It is so amazing how henna can change each time you use it and depending on the type of henna one uses.
I bought my indian and henna products from a local indian grocery store. So happy, I found jamila for under 2 dollars for 100 grams

Last edited:

Softresses

Hi Everybody! Here is my henna contribution:

Hair Type: 3c, (4a top of head)
Hair State: lightly texturized
Use Henna for: conditioning
Been a "Henna Junkie" for how long?: about 2 months
How often do you Henna?: once every week or two
100-150g Henna
30-50g Amla initial treatment, one tablespoon subsequent mixes
16-32oz plain yogurt (depending on if I am making a large amount).
1-2pkg(s) of gelled pectin
5 drops of lavender oil

Makes my hair the following: EXTREMELY STRONG! Lovely auburn color, and LOTS OF SHINE!!!

I purchase my henna products from: Initially from ebay, then from Henna for Hair (better quality).

Neroli

I did a henna/indigo mix (2/3 henna, 1/3 indigo) yesterday and it come out pretty good although it darkened my hair more than I like. I will go back to "straight" henna 'cause I really LOVE that henna only look. It's nice to know I can change up and go darker whenever I want with a bit of indigo. Can't wait to henna only next week so I recapture my red glow, even though still red in bright sunlight, just not red enough for me! Here's my recipe:

-henna, already released: 2 parts
-indigo & warm distilled water for 15 minutes: 1 part
Mix both together into soft paste adding more "room temperature" distilled water if needed. Apply to hair and leave on 2 hours. Rinse thoroughly and deep condish.

My hair came out really really nice and strong as usual, with a much darker, deeper red . . .

CynamonKis

Easy recipe:

50 gms henna
red wine vinegar, red wine & water, heated (started w/ 1/2 red wine vinegar, 1/2 water, then added red wine til I got the desired color)

after dye release: 1 Tbsp avocado oil

Applied to my hair, wrapped w/saran wrap, then plastic cap, then wrapped w/scarf. Slept on it. Showered, washed with Elucence, conditioned w/Tropical Avocado afterward.

This really made my hair turn out beautiful! Many reddish brown highlights, and the gray was reddish highlights. It felt so strong, curl pattern loosened, hair shiny.

Last edited:

Lavendar

I know this thread is for recipes, but I hope we are allowed to ask questions as well. If not, sorry for hijacking:

Softtresses: Why are you decreasing the amount of Amla you are using from 30-50g to just 1 Tbsp? I really curious as to what effect the Amla has on the hair.

Queenie: Would you mind sharing where you purchase your henna? I shop at Whole Foods on Duke Street in Old Town and am familar with No. Va.

Thanks ladies!

Softresses

Hi Lavendar,

Sorry it took me so long to post. I am decreasing the amount of Amla because Amla is very high in citric acid. I find that at smaller amounts it is not very drying. It still is enough to aid with color release and conditioning.

HTH

Softresses

Neroli

CynamonKis said:
Easy recipe:

50 gms henna
red wine vinegar, red wine & water, heated (started w/ 1/2 red wine vinegar, 1/2 water, then added red wine til I got the desired color)

after dye release: 1 Tbsp avocado oil

Applied to my hair, wrapped w/saran wrap, then plastic cap, then wrapped w/scarf. Slept on it. Showered, washed with Elucence, conditioned w/Tropical Avocado afterward.

This really made my hair turn out beautiful! Many reddish brown highlights, and the gray was reddish highlights. It felt so strong, curl pattern loosened, hair shiny.

I like the idea of red wine vinegar (RWV) and will use it instead of ACV for my next henna. I'm waiting on a new order of jamila henna so this will be a bit "different" for me -- jamila mixed with RWV -- I'm excited!

Thanks for the idea . . .

Hair Iam

Start with Egyptian Henna
Add ½ cup yogurt
Few drops of lemon juice
½ cup of olive oil
Mix with warm water let stand for ½ hour
Then apply with gloves
Place plastic cap over head …for 2-4 hours

I put my cap over this ad go shopping …no one is the wiser

My henna has helped me in my search for things to thicken my hair

CynamonKis

How good is the jamila henna? How did the red wine vinegar work for you?

I love the pretty red color of my slightly modified my recipe:

50g bodyart-quality henna, mixed w/heated rwv & grape juice
(1/3 cu red wine vinegar w/a little red wine for color, and
1/3 cu grape juice)

Let set 12+ hrs for dye release
1 tbsp avocado oil

Neroli said:
I like the idea of red wine vinegar (RWV) and will use it instead of ACV for my next henna. I'm waiting on a new order of jamila henna so this will be a bit "different" for me -- jamila mixed with RWV -- I'm excited!

Thanks for the idea . . .

Last edited:

CynamonKis

Neroli, today I tried Indigo for the 1st time. I used 100% indigo on the gray hair in front around my hairline. I was very impressed by the gray coverage. Next week, I will mix 1/2 henna, 1/2 indigo on this part of the hair only, and the rest will be the henna/wine/red wine vinegar/grape juice mixture.

I am really glad this thread helped me to re-discover henna to deal with my gray. It is a much healthier way to color my hair.

Neroli said:
I did a henna/indigo mix (2/3 henna, 1/3 indigo) yesterday and it come out pretty good although it darkened my hair more than I like. I will go back to "straight" henna 'cause I really LOVE that henna only look. It's nice to know I can change up and go darker whenever I want with a bit of indigo. Can't wait to henna only next week so I recapture my red glow, even though still red in bright sunlight, just not red enough for me! Here's my recipe:

-henna, already released: 2 parts
-indigo & warm distilled water for 15 minutes: 1 part
Mix both together into soft paste adding more "room temperature" distilled water if needed. Apply to hair and leave on 2 hours. Rinse thoroughly and deep condish.

My hair came out really really nice and strong as usual, with a much darker, deeper red . . .

chayil0427

atlqt said:
Hello LHCF Sisters! This is my first post and I'm delighted to be apart of a strong and smart group of women on the hair journey. The insight in AMAZING!

I'm getting more and more tempted to try henna for strengthening and coloring my relaxed, 4a, fine hair. There is a great thread in progress, but it's getting huge due to the increased interest. Can we start a fresh thread strictly for henna recipes here for those who'd like to try it? The hennaforhair site is great, but I want to hear from my sisters whom I trust.

Hair Type: (3a, 4b, etc.)
Hair State: (Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, etc.)
Been a "Henna Junkie" for how long?:
How often do you Henna?:
Makes my hair the following color:

Thanks Ladies!!! ;)

OOOOOOOH great topic. I haven't tried the henna yet hopefully I'll be able to find a good recipe on this thread. Welcome to the forum!!!

Chayil

Cichelle

Hair Type: (3a, 4b, etc.) 3b
Hair State: (Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, etc.) Natural
Use Henna for: (Covering grey, color, strengthening, etc.) Yeah, all of those. :)
Been a "Henna Junkie" for how long?: I just started using it two weeks ago.
How often do you Henna?: I've hennaed twice, a week apart.
Henna recipe/instructions: 200 g FNWL henna, sifted + 1 teaspoon fruit pectin + hot water
Makes my hair the following color: I don't know what to call this color. It is a deep reddish brown. The second time around the color deepened and I guess I'll have to look in my daughter's crayon box to come up with a color name. :)
I purchase my henna products from: FNWL

Lavendar

Softresses said:
Hi Lavendar,

Sorry it took me so long to post. I am decreasing the amount of Amla because Amla is very high in citric acid. I find that at smaller amounts it is not very drying. It still is enough to aid with color release and conditioning.

HTH

Softresses

Thanks! This is helpful. I used 50g of Amla in my first mix and my hair did have a kind of "stripped" feel. I will decrease the amount and eliminate the ACV. Thanks again!

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
Hair Type: (3a, 4b, etc.) 4a/b
Hair State: (Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, etc.) relaxed
Use Henna for: (Covering grey, color, strengthening, etc.) cover grey, color, & strenthening
Been a "Henna Junkie" for how long?: two hennas in two weeks
How often do you Henna?: will henna at least twice a month

Henna recipe/instructions: 100g henna, 3 black tea bags, 2 cinnamon & apple herbal tea bags,
1 tsp sugar, 1 oz of olive or coconut oil, 2 cups boiled water
Makes my hair the following color: dark brown with reddish tint in the sun
mehendi.com 1st henna) and local indian grocery store

Last edited: