Hey Sareca, Oil Rinsing is an Indian thing!!

kiesha8185

Okay, so I was talking to my BFF about LHCF and told her how some of the women do oil rinses. She's like, "Really?? That's an Indian thing! It's called "enna" (she doesn't know how to spell it, but that's how it sounds.) So I listened in awe while she spoke to me about many customs in India. She was born in South India and so were both of her parents. She said in India, hair is a symbol of beauty. Long, black, thick hair is seen as a symbol of beauty, and it is custom to have very long hair.

In India, families wait until a newborn baby has a head full of hair (maybe 3-6 month old baby) and then they shave it all off. Then they apply oil to the baby's head everyday. This makes the hair grow back fuller thicker, and FAST. She said that she will be doing this to her kids, as it was also done to her. Mind you, she has the thickest hair EVER. I'm like, "Shiya, you know how hair obsessed I am and never told me this?!" She said she didn't want me to think she was weird.

In India (at least the part of India she is from) they don't even use shampoo. Since many families there do not have that much money, shampoo and conditioner are items of luxury. Many women did not start using it (shampoos and conditioners) until modern times or until they came to America.

Indian women wash their hair, on average, once a week with coconut oil. Oil washing in India is called "enna". The night before washing their hair, they liberally apply coconut oil into their hair and massage it in. The next day, they just wash it out, and put the hair in a braid and leave it like that until the next wash. Every other day, they unbraid it, moisturize with coconut oil, and braid it back. The only "con" is that your hair smells very oily. She stopped "oil rinsing" when she got to middle school, and friends used to comment on her hair smelling like oil. Oil washing is socially unacceptable in Western countries since it does give off an oil smell.

She said that her mother still only uses coconut oil to wash her hair, and has not used shampoo until she came to America. Her mother does not have one gray hair and her hair is full, long, black, and very thick. They also use many other "herb tea rinses" with neem and other herbs that help to condition and strengthen the hair. For the most part, Indians use only natural things in their hair.

I will be talking to my BFF's mom to get a little more info for you all. They also own a store, and she will tell me which oils help for different things. For the most part, coconut oil is used for normal hair. But their are other oils for hair that sheds, damaged hair, etc. There are also other herbs they use (boil the powder in water, strain, and rinse the hair with it).

Sorry so long, but I figured you all will be interested. I actually tried the oil rinsing with WGHO, and my hair looks sooooo shiny, and my texture actually looks different. Thank you soooo much Sareca!!!!

I will keep you all updated on any info that my friend's mom tells me.

*DISCLAIMER* In response to what Sareca said, I guess I should've titled this post differently. It seems that oil washing is a custom done in many other countries, not just India. I titled it "Oil washing is an Indian thing" cuz that's what my BFF said verbatum (she's Indian). Just wanted to say that....ok carry on! :)

Last edited:

motherx2esq

This is interesting. Thanks for posting this. I am still on the fence about oil washing but this was really helpful.

NessaNessa

Okay, so I was talking to my BFF about LHCF and told her how some of the women do oil rinses. She's like, "Really?? That's an Indian thing! It's called "enna" (she doesn't know how to spell it, but that's how it sounds.) So I listened in awe while she spoke to me about many customs in India. She was born in South India and so were both of her parents. She said in India, hair is a symbol of beauty. Long, black, thick hair is seen as a symbol of beauty, and it is custom to have very long hair.

In India, families wait until a newborn baby has a head full of hair (maybe 3-6 month old baby) and then they shave it all off. Then they apply oil to the baby's head everyday. This makes the hair grow back fuller thicker, and FAST. She said that she will be doing this to her kids, as it was also done to her. Mind you, she has the thickest hair EVER. I'm like, "Shiya, you know how hair obsessed I am and never told me this?!" She said she didn't want me to think she was weird.

In India (at least the part of India she is from) they don't even use shampoo. Since many families there do not have that much money, shampoo and conditioner are items of luxury. Many women did not start using it (shampoos and conditioners) until modern times or until they came to America.

Indian women wash their hair, on average, once a week with coconut oil. Oil washing in India is called "enna". The night before washing their hair, they liberally apply coconut oil into their hair and massage it in. The next day, they just wash it out, and put the hair in a braid and leave it like that until the next wash. Every other day, they unbraid it, moisturize with coconut oil, and braid it back. The only "con" is that your hair smells very oily. She stopped "oil rinsing" when she got to middle school, and friends used to comment on her hair smelling like oil. Oil washing is socially unacceptable in Western countries since it does give off an oil smell.

She said that her mother still only uses coconut oil to wash her hair, and has not used shampoo until she came to America. Her mother does not have one gray hair and her hair is full, long, black, and very thick. They also use many other "herb tea rinses" with neem and other herbs that help to condition and strengthen the hair. For the most part, Indians use only natural things in their hair.

I will be talking to my BFF's mom to get a little more info for you all. They also own a store, and she will tell me which oils help for different things. For the most part, coconut oil is used for normal hair. But their are other oils for hair that sheds, damaged hair, etc. There are also other herbs they use (boil the powder in water, strain, and rinse the hair with it).

Sorry so long, but I figured you all will be interested. I actually tried the oil rinsing with WGHO, and my hair looks sooooo shiny, and my texture actually looks different. Thank you soooo much Sareca!!!!

:yep::yep:Yep!! I was chatting with my supervisor (who is Indian) and I was asking him the whereabouts Indian stores local to our area :look:. I then explained why I wanted to know and he proceded to tell me about his little girl (she's gaw-gus) and how they shave their hair and how it somehow makes the texture of their hair better. He's very detailed with anything (Principal Research Scientist), so he gave the history of Indian hair traditions and the such.

When I inquired about Henna, he phoned his wife who was quick to inform me there were different types of Henna (I knew that from LHCF). Anyways, they have so much natural and different stuff they do with their hair. his wife's hair is down her back, thick, lush, and absolutely beautiful.

BTW- They are going to shave their daughter's hair a SECOND time when they go back home this Xmas. They also shave hair as some sort of gratitude to one of their many Gods. I forgot the story behind that because I was just tuned into the hair related stuff :lol:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Wow! Thanks for this info. You know my great grandmother and her sister believed in coconut oil. That's all they put in their hair ever. My great grand mother had thick WL hair and her sister had TBL hair. hmmmm....interesting. I really just can't stand the smell though:nono:. I do use it but not as much as olive or castor oil.

mochamadness

Going the Distance
Thanks for sharing! I love the fact that they keep their haircare so simple. It's simple and yet so effective.

londonjakki

Kiesha8185....this is sooooo interesting thanks so much for sharing...I tried the oil wash on my daughter and myself..I think its awesome.....:yep::yep:

honeybadgirl

This is interesting. Thanks for posting......Maybe I should shave my head :lol:

WHOA DOGGIE....so down there now!!!:lachen:
no but i also remember when i was little my grandmom shaving my uncle's hair down and it did some back a different texture.
i happen to like my texture so i will not be a shavin':lachen::grin:

fluffylocks

:yep::yep:Yep!! I was chatting with my supervisor (who is Indian) and I was asking him the whereabouts Indian stores local to our area :look:. I then explained why I wanted to know and he proceded to tell me about his little girl (she's gaw-gus) and how they shave their hair and how it somehow makes the texture of their hair better. He's very detailed with anything (Principal Research Scientist), so he gave the history of Indian hair traditions and the such.

When I inquired about Henna, he phoned his wife who was quick to inform me there were different types of Henna (I knew that from LHCF). Anyways, they have so much natural and different stuff they do with their hair. his wife's hair is down her back, thick, lush, and absolutely beautiful.

BTW- They are going to shave their daughter's hair a SECOND time when they go back home this Xmas. They also shave hair as some sort of gratitude to one of their many Gods. I forgot the story behind that because I was just tuned into the hair related stuff :lol:

How old is she?

Anyway, i love hearing about things other people do to their hair, this was very interesting. I met a woman from some part of Africa about a year ago and she said all she used on her hair was oil also---she said she rinsed it, then put olive oil on her hair to keep moisture in, then put it in a ponytail untill it dries. Her hair was very pretty.

caribeandiva

Human being
wow that's interesting. I don't think i could stand the oil smell either if i never used shampoo. I love doing oil rinses. I should do them even when i don't wear my hair down.

Candy_C

thats exactly what i've been doing

i just learnt shampoo is NONSENSE!!!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Thanks for posting, kiesha.

I do have a few questions... the coconut oil that I've seen is in solid form... do they heat up the coconut oil to melt it and then apply it to their hair??? This is the reason I haven't purchased coconut oil because I really do not want to fool with melting it so it will be easier to apply to my hair, but if that's what it takes, I may just purchase some. I would love to try oil rinses.

Can you do oil rinses with any type of oil?

Do you have to wet the hair first, then apply the oil before washing it out?

Thanks in advance!

Candy_C

I do have a few questions... the coconut oil that I've seen is in solid form... do they heat up the coconut oil to melt it and then apply it to their hair??? This is the reason I haven't purchased coconut oil because I really do not want to fool with melting it so it will be easier to apply to my hair, but if that's what it takes, I may just purchase some. I would love to try oil rinses.

Thanks in advance!

coconut oil liquifies at room temperature. if your room is warm its fully melted

or on hand contact.

Candy_C

Thanks in advance!

i'm not keisha but i have a few answers as such

I would stick to light oils - jojoba-amla-shikakhai and coconut

maybe olive and castor can be mixed with these lighter oils to avoid buildups...

I dont...i think its better to do it on dry hair, cos you can manipulate the hair more and get all the debris out with a comb and your fingers...then you can comb the hair right through and detangle before rinsing the oil away
:grin:

sareca

Yep, that's exactly the technique written on my alma oil and Ojon containers. But when I tried it without the conditioner afterwards (and without poo'g the next day). I had a hot greasy mess on my hands.

I was inspired by a story my BFF told me. She's not from India she's from Africa. I bet many many cultures use oil (especially where poo isn't available) to cleanse their hair.

Anyway, thanks for the info and enthusiasm. I'm very happy it's working for you.

SmartyPants

I came on to post this, and this seems like a good place to do it... On Saturday I washed my hair (my wash and set days are Tuesdays and Saturdays). I used the following regimen:

(1) Wash with Nexxus Therappe.

(2) Condition with Nexxus KerapHix (20 minutes under the dryer with a plastic cap).

(3) Condition with Nexxus Humectress (60 minutes under the dryer with a plastic cap).

(4) Oil with one of the oil mixes from either Africa's Best or African Pride that you can get from the corner BSS (I don't remember because I transferred it to a spray bottle) (20 minutes under the dryer with a plastic cap) then rinsed thoroughly.

(5) Roller Set hair on magnetic rollers.

(6) One hour under dryer for hair to dry.

The bold oil step was new. When I took my hair down Sunday morning, my hair was curly, shiney, and soft but it did not feel greasey. It was almost like a completely different texture of hair. And now, on Monday, my hair still looks and feels really great. The best part is that I am using MN, my hair is growing, and I was having problems trying to stretch for 8 weeks. My roots are so soft and manageble with the oil treatment that it looks like I might make that stretch.

I am completely sold on the oil step now!:yep::yep::yep:

See... this is why I joined this board. Even my mom, whose hair is almost BSL (yeah I hate her--I got my hair from my dad's side of the family) is completely sold on me doing my own hair now. When I was younger she'd have a hissy fit if I did my own relaxer.:grin:

berry87

Thanks for the information Kiesha.:grin:

For the ladies that are not using shampoo, are you not getting buildup?

After a week or so with just oil rinses and conditoners, how does your hair smell?:drunk:

I dilute my CON shampoo and use a bit of it once a week, but I dont know if I can go without using it. I get buildup even when i use my ACV, so if i start oil rinses without shampooing at all I can just imagin the gunk that wil lbe on my scalp:nono::nono:

Last edited:

kiesha8185

You all are very welcome. I'm telling you, I was sooo intrigued, and it's so interesting learning about how other cultures care for their hair. I wonder why non-American products were best for my hair. Dominican and Indian products always gives me the best results...:rolleyes:

Anyway, I would prefer to ask my BFF's mom the questions you all ask, so make sure to post your q's here, and I'll "interview" her when she has time to speak to me. My BFF said Indian women just leave their hair alone. That in itself is the best hair advice I've ever heard. Most people who has long, full, thick hair, just keep it simple. Whether it stem from the fact that they don't have much time to do x, y, and z to waist-length hair or whatever...it seems like just leaving it alone is best.

And Candy, I totally agree with you, shampoo (for me!) is unnecessary. I honestly only use it to detangle or to follow up clarifying. Lately, I've been skipping my shampoos and there are no ill effects on my hair. But when I learn about other more natural herbs that can cleanse the hair, I will not need shampoo anymore :grin:

My BFF said that although her mom has used shampoo since she has come to America, she always comes back to coconut oil. If coconut oil cleanses the hair while simultaneously adding moisture, why use shampoo?? It is unnecessary (again...for me...:grin:). In many cases, those who feel they must use shampoo are either: 1) using too much product in the hair in between washes or 2) waiting too long to wash the hair.

Oil washing did the exact opposite that I theorized it would do. It adds shine and moisture, and helps with detangling and keeps my hair soft. I had less breakage, as well. My hair also airdried faster...I oil washed with WGHO last night and my hair is still soft and shiny. I can definitely see why Indian women do this. Not only is using natural products healthier for the hair, but it's economical. I haven't added any moisturizer to my hair yet, and I'll see how long I can go before my hair gets dry.

My BFF and I are going to start our own personal "oil washing challenge" until the end of the year and see the benefits we get. But I will get more details for you all, as far as which oils do what, and let you all know.

kiesha8185

Yep, that's exactly the technique written on my alma oil and Ojon containers. But when I tried it without the conditioner afterwards (and without poo'g the next day). I had a hot greasy mess on my hands.

I was inspired by a story my BFF told me. She's not from India she's from Africa. I bet many many cultures use oil (especially where poo isn't available) to cleanse their hair.

Anyway, thanks for the info and enthusiasm. I'm very happy it's working for you.

Which oil does your BFF use? Do the also do oil rinses this way (apply oil the night before on dry hair, wash out the next day)? Thanks!

kiesha8185

i'm not keisha but i have a few answers as such

I would stick to light oils - jojoba-amla-shikakhai and coconut

maybe olive and castor can be mixed with these lighter oils to avoid buildups...

I dont...i think its better to do it on dry hair, cos you can manipulate the hair more and get all the debris out with a comb and your fingers...then you can comb the hair right through and detangle before rinsing the oil away
:grin:

Thanks soo much! I'll definitely make sure to ask her mom about this too. I have applied it on both dry and wet hair, and using it on dry hair is easier to manipulate. BTW, where do you get your oils?

LovelyLionessa

This is fascinating thank you for sharing! I remember reading part of Ayaan Hirsi Ali's book, Infidel, and she referred to oiling her hair with coconut oil while growing up in Africa. Interesting stuff, haircare simplified.

CurliDiva

You all are very welcome. I'm telling you, I was sooo intrigued, and it's so interesting learning about how other cultures care for their hair. I wonder why non-American products were best for my hair. Dominican and Indian products always gives me the best results...:rolleyes:

Anyway, I would prefer to ask my BFF's mom the questions you all ask, so make sure to post your q's here, and I'll "interview" her when she has time to speak to me. My BFF said Indian women just leave their hair alone. That in itself is the best hair advice I've ever heard. Most people who has long, full, thick hair, just keep it simple. Whether it stem from the fact that they don't have much time to do x, y, and z to waist-length hair or whatever...it seems like just leaving it alone is best.

And Candy, I totally agree with you, shampoo (for me!) is unnecessary. I honestly only use it to detangle or to follow up clarifying. Lately, I've been skipping my shampoos and there are no ill effects on my hair. But when I learn about other more natural herbs that can cleanse the hair, I will not need shampoo anymore :grin:

My BFF said that although her mom has used shampoo since she has come to America, she always comes back to coconut oil. If coconut oil cleanses the hair while simultaneously adding moisture, why use shampoo?? It is unnecessary (again...for me...:grin:). In many cases, those who feel they must use shampoo are either: 1) using too much product in the hair in between washes or 2) waiting too long to wash the hair.

Oil washing did the exact opposite that I theorized it would do. It adds shine and moisture, and helps with detangling and keeps my hair soft. I had less breakage, as well. My hair also airdried faster...I oil washed with WGHO last night and my hair is still soft and shiny. I can definitely see why Indian women do this. Not only is using natural products healthier for the hair, but it's economical. I haven't added any moisturizer to my hair yet, and I'll see how long I can go before my hair gets dry.

My BFF and I are going to start our own personal "oil washing challenge" until the end of the year and see the benefits we get. But I will get more details for you all, as far as which oils do what, and let you all know.

Great point Kiesha!

What is your technique for oil washing? How often do you plan to do it?

TIA

*Muffin*

This is very interesting and informative. I noticed that since I stopped shampooing my hair and started doing co-washes (with a tiny bit of natural castile soap mixed in) my hair started to grow much more. And since I started using Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Coconut oil my hair has become thicker and healthier. Your friend is definitely on to something!