Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

yamilee21

Question: Is African hair threading stressful to the hair (in your opinion/experience)?

I'm looking for ways to stretch my hair like a blowout and African hair threading seems to be it. But just looking how tight you have to wrap stress around your hair scares me...

Am I crazy? Anyone with experience doing threading like once a month or more? ...

@CheChe1881 - there was a thread on this question; I think the video in that one was of the same person. https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...ral-hair-really-straight-with-no-heat.799733/

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I'm out on the patio doing a coconut oil prepoo and eating a cucumber/apple salad. It's such a beautiful day...

I'm wondering why I ever stopped using coconut oil...this stuff is MAGIC!

I've been having a love affair with coconut oil too! @Prettymetty
Not for my hair though but for my body. I've been using it in place of mouthwash to oil pull. I've also been using it as "lip balm" and "lotion". I can only use it as lotion in the warmer months though LOL

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Question: Is African hair threading stressful to the hair (in your opinion/experience)?

I'm looking for ways to stretch my hair like a blowout and African hair threading seems to be it. But just looking how tight you have to wrap stress around your hair scares me...

Am I crazy? Anyone with experience doing threading like once a month or more?

Update:
Hmmmm this seems like a safer alternative

Thanks for sharing the video. The satin does seem like it might be healthier. Hmm! I wish I could chime in with an opinion about threading, but I've only done it once, and I did it with gaps down the length of my sections. Meaning, I wasn't aiming to get a blowout look, but simply to stretch my hair.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I need 4 inches of hair to actually reach hip length, 6-7 to feel comfortable claiming it. But with my density, I feel like I'm ear length. :cry3:

On the brighter side of things, I've been doing good drinking more water. I did have a cherry coke Thursday, about halfway through a busy 12hr hospital shift. And I've been mixing my collagen with orange juice once a day, but other than that I drink water. My eating habits...well...I'm still trying to tackle that beast.

I tried being healthy today, I had oatmeal with a fresh banana and walnuts mixed in...then I added brown sugar...and caramel :look:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Hair update:

I haven't done an official length check, but in the shower, soaking wet my longest layer reaches my waist. My ends still look good after my January trim and my hair is still very healthy. I believe I can definitely reach hip length sometime in 2018. I'm still wearing my usual 6-8 braids and slapping on a wig when I go to work. The styling and maintenance is so easy that, even though I miss my out styles (WnGs, BOs, TOs), I can't bring myself to do them. Why mess with success? Maybe this summer, I'll do loose braids or twists... We'll see.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I finally tackled my hair today.

I asked mom to come over this morning and watch the boys while I did my hair. She's so sweet. She said, "I don't miiiiiiind" and brought over donuts and other food.

I washed with 22nd Century Natural Woman Shampoo bar -- which I think I'm always going to be in love with! I was able to detangle with it. I had a LOT of shed hair. LOTS. I started out real cool about it. Then I admit I was a little concerned. There was no breakage, though. (Yay!) I guess after 14 days there will just be a lot of shedding. I didn't collect it, so I'm not sure just how much it was. Felt like a lot.

I tried finger detangling only this time, and it took FOREVER! So I had to rush style a wash-and-go this morning: DS#1's birthday party was cancelled last Saturday (due to rain), so it was today. I was not planning on wearing a wngo but had no choice. It shrunk to a really tight 'fro. Interesting, I got lots of compliments on it.

Later this afternoon, after the party, I fiiiiiiiiially attempted the full crimper curler set. I used a spray bottle of water and the new Eden Bodyworks Mousse I purchased (I'm worried it's not going to be effective due to 1 bad review I found after purchasing) and used bands to keep them on.

They are in my head now and too uncomfortable to sleep in. I'll sit for another few hours and hope it dries. If not, I'll have to see if I can get my dryer bonnet over it.

2017April08My1stCrimperCurlerSet.jpg

AgeinATL

Gonna cut about half an inch off each twist during today's wash day to get rid of some ssks. Finally got those hair spoolie rollers from China so that I can start stretching the ends of my twists to help minimize ssks. Still hoping to make HL by the end of the year even with tiny trims here and there. I need a good 3 inches.

@MileHighDiva did you ever get your spoolies?

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Gonna cut about half an inch off each twist during today's wash day to get rid of some ssks. Finally got those hair spoolie rollers from China so that I can start stretching the ends of my twists to help minimize ssks. Still hoping to make HL by the end of the year even with tiny trims here and there. I need a good 3 inches.

@MileHighDiva did you ever get your spoolies?
No, I haven't received them. If you're just receiving yours, I will not worry. Hopefully, they show up soon!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I shared the details at the April 2017 Style Challenge thread . . . but here are just photos of today's hair. It's my first attempt at a crimper curler set. I had to remove them before they dried. I'd need to keep practicing with them, probably, to get something that looks much different from my normal wash-and-go.

It was fun trying it! I'm excited to try my deep wave curlformers next!

View media item 129153
View media item 129151
View media item 129149

Last edited:

CheChe1881

I shared the details at the April 2017 Style Challenge thread . . . but here are just photos of today's hair. It's my first attempt at a crimper curler set. I had to remove them before they dried. I'd need to keep practicing with them, probably, to get something that looks much different from my normal wash-and-go.

It was fun trying it! I'm excited to try my deep wave curlformers next!

View media item 129153
View media item 129151
View media item 129149
View media item 129147

Omg. I know this has nothing to do with hair but...

You're so pretty :oops: .... You favor a young Monica Calhoun

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Omg. I know this has nothing to do with hair but...

You're so pretty :oops: .... You favor a young Monica Calhoun

Oh, thanks so much, @CheChe1881! I never saw it before, but I see it! LOL!

You are gorgeous yourself, btw!

My face photographs so differently all the time, I never know what I look like! Lol. Now I can say, "Think Monica Calhoun-ish." :smile:

I do know that this collagen and hyuralonic (sp?) acid is REALLY helping my skin.

beauti

Ladies help me please! I accidentally bought 2 joico moisture recovery conditioners thinking they were the moisture recovery balm! :whyme: is there a huge difference?? should I run back in the store and return it? I was apparently too excited :rolleyes:

Eta: I returned them. lol

Last edited:

CheChe1881

Oh, thanks so much, @CheChe1881! I never saw it before, but I see it! LOL!

You are gorgeous yourself, btw!

My face photographs so differently all the time, I never know what I look like! Lol. Now I can say, "Think Monica Calhoun-ish." :smile:

I do know that this collagen and hyuralonic (sp?) acid is REALLY helping my skin.

Runs to store to get some :cowgirl:
What brands if you don't mind me asking :curtain:

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:curtain:

Runs to store to get some :cowgirl:
What brands if you don't mind me asking :curtain:

I've been using the marine collagen + hyaluronic acid powder below since the last week in February.

I take it on an empty stomach, as suggested. That is suggested because supposedly protein uptake is very competitive, so if you take this protein on an empty stomach, it is ensured to get into your cells (instead of being eliminated/peed out due to having lost a battle to get uptaken into your cells because other proteins got uptaken instead).

I mix it into this drink here https://draxe.com/recipe/secret-detox-drink/ , drink it first thing in the morning, and then eat breakfast about an hour later.

I started taking it after reading an LHCF thread about collagen.

Before that, from the middle of November 2016 to February 2017 I used this: .

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Ladies help me please! I accidentally bought 2 joico moisture recovery conditioners thinking they were the moisture recovery balm! :whyme: is there a huge difference?? should I run back in the store and return it? I was apparently too excited :rolleyes:

Eta: I returned them. lol

I know that others who are more avid Joico users will soon chime in, but I cay say for myself that I found them to be VERY different. I had to purchase both after an emergency hair situation, and the balm was on a whole 'nother level, IMO. But . . . I've only used each one ONCE.

Nightingale

Leave In
Moisturizer
Oil
Butter
Grease

In that order. Do you want specific products? I don't reapply. Once I started using a leave in (or lotion) and butter-like moisturizer, I haven't needed to reapply. In the past I've had to.

I don't need specific products, but I'd like to know if you do you anything in particular to help them absorb in your low po hair? It took me awhile to figure out a trick to make layering work.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I don't need specific products, but I'd like to know if you do you anything in particular to help them absorb in your low po hair? It took me awhile to figure out a trick to make layering work.

Ok. Here's how I eventually figured out what works:
-Originally, I tried LOC and I had terrible build up and crunchy hair. The Oil never allowed cream to absorb.
-So i switched it around to LCO. That worked but during my transition, my roots and natural hair wouldn't stay moisturized.
-So I omitted oils (because it was not sealing well) and went to butters.
-Butters were good but my hair still needed "refreshing".
-The only oil that sealed well was JBCO but I still wasn't impressed. I decided to reintroduce oil back in, but went with HBCO instead and figured it might be better to seal an oil with a butter because oils really do dissipate over time.
-Adding grease in only made me realize I need a butter before it.

I hope that helped explain my long process lol.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Leave In
Moisturizer
Oil
Butter
Grease

In that order. Do you want specific products? I don't reapply. Once I started using a leave in (or lotion) and butter-like moisturizer, I haven't needed to reapply. In the past I've had to.

I'm amazed your lowpo hair is fine with all that product layering. Good find/discovery. Congrats on MBL!

To anyone: What differentiates butter from grease? Anyone else using grease? Which one?

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I'm amazed your lowpo hair is fine with all that product layering. Good find/discovery. Congrats on MBL!

To anyone: What differentiates butter from grease? Anyone else using grease? Which one?

Yeah, with LoPo hair, my hair can retain moisture for at least 3 days where HiPo hair will lose it in 1 day. I hope that makes sense. My hair gets terrible build up regardless. The layering is a lot because it takes longer for my hair to dry, but it really only affects buildup in the long run.

Nightingale

A butter is a natural oil that is solid or made to be solid. If an oil is liquid at room temperature and they want to make it a butter, they add hydrogenated soy. For example, avocado butter ingredients: Avocado Butter (Persae Gratissima) (and) hydrogenated non-gmo soybean oil.

Grease is petrolatum based and the petro is what makes it solid. Example, DAX grease ingredients: Petrolatum; Lanolin; Olive Oil; Castor Oil; Coconut Oil; Mineral Oil; D & C Yellow 11; D & C Green 6; Stearic Acid; Parfum.

Natural Greases are oils made solid with natural waxes, not petro. Example, Hairveda Almond Glaze Grease Pomade: Prunis Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Phthalate Free (Parfume) Fragrance.

Some companies call their products "grease" or "butter" even though it isn't technically correct.
For example, True Hydrating Butter ingredients: Water (Aqua), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Ceteareth-20, Glyceryl Dilaurate, Fragrance (Parfum), Butryospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Oil, Honey, Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, Carbomer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Beta-Carotene. Technically, this is a cream because its an oil/water emulsion.

Last edited:

NaturalShe94

Ooooo I wanna join! I do my blood work at the beginning of every year, So Ive done mine in January already. I also eat healthy and work out twice a week. Stress at a minimum. I cut my hair to SL from WL on Nov. 24th. I am now at BSL. My ULTIMATE goal is TBL, but Im hoping to reach FULL WL or W'HL by the end of this year.l if I can retain all my length!

Current length: BSL

Regimen:
Poo/Con every Sunday followed by a moisturizer and seal with oil. Cowash and water wash in between wash days once a week also oiling and massaging scalp once a week.
DC every other Sunday, again followed by Moisturizing and sealing.
Hot Oil once a month

Exact goal length:
Ultimate TBL, but W'HL for this challenge.

Plans to help you achieve your goal:
Protective Styling and Low manipulation

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking:
Nature Bounty Hair Skin & Nails as a multi and Curls Liquid Vitamin

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy:
Keeping them moisturized and tucked away as much as possible.

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine:
I dont have any trimming plans being that I did a major chop off in Nov. and my ends are looking good. In another 3 months I will see, but, most likely dusting if needed.

Top 10 products:
Main products are: OGX Coconut Milk Poo/Con.
Shea Moisture JBCO for DC
Olive Miracle Moisture Lotion followed by the growth oil
DooGro MegaThick Growth Oil for scalp massages
Shea Moisture JBCO leave in Conditioner
Parashute Coconut Hot Oil for hot oil treatment

Starting length pic (didnt have anyone to take a pic from the back at the moment)
IMG_1272.JPG

EDIT: So I finally have a pic of my length at the back
IMG_1282.JPG

Last edited: