Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
1.) Annual physical was great and I got blood work just for the heck of it. My doctor told me I’m the first Black person he’s examined in years to not have a vitamin D deficiency!
2.) 2017 was a hella stressful year but things totally out of my control. Getting back to self-care has been helping tremendously.
3.) Diet ms exercise are on the upswing.

Current length:MBL
Regimen: cleanse 1-2x/week unless straightened. Clay wash, black soap, or cowash primarily. Shampoo 1-2x/month. DC after every wash. Alternate moisture and protein. Henna 1x monthly. M&S almost daily with tea spritz and CP (Ayurvedic) oil.
Exact Goal Length: TBL
Plans to achieve goal: stick to regimen, no neglectful weeks, incorporate daily scalp massages, using my best bonnets nightly, taking my vitamins daily.
Vitamins/Supplements: multivitamin, 10000iU vitamin D, liquid biotin, bamboo tea
Ends Care: daily M&S, weekly S&D, monthly dusting, incorporating more ceramides & keratin
Top 10 products: 1) Clay washes 2)coconut oil 3)henna 4)African black soap 5)CP (Ayurvedic) oil 6) Essations Instant Hair Mender 7) ApHogee 2 Minute Reconstructor 8)ApHogee Curlific Texture Treatment 9)Tea spritzes 10) The Body Shop Ginger Scalp Care shampoo

I feel like I’m only 1-2 inches from WL. My ends feel really good. I had to trim very little off. I also had very little breakage during my process. Black belt is at my waist.

Attachments

• 8BF24B9E-F3C0-4118-89A0-6F54A3E173F2.jpeg
    8BF24B9E-F3C0-4118-89A0-6F54A3E173F2.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 112

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I posted my pictures earlier this month I believe, but I wanted to post a picture of my crown
57B03D43-83C2-4D2B-85ED-2C38C99B191A.jpeg
In late 2010 it began breaking and by early 2011, it was in shreads. This was from 2013:
E8AC91ED-0A9A-4DBA-8E0A-5391A3FA700D.jpeg

Same area.

My crown now is about bottom BSL. As much as I miss my relaxed hair, my crown is the number 1 reason I will not go back to relaxers.

morgandenae

Morgan Denae'
I would love to join. I'm finally ready to focus on growing out my hair again now that I've got a few kinks worked out (literally). I love that this challenge has a holistic approach.

During my time in hair blues I learned so many things about my hair likes which has helped me get my breakage to a respectable low. They always tell you to find what YOUR hair likes but I was too busy finding what my hair type is "suppose" to like.

1) I get my physical at the end of every year. Last year I asked for full blood work and everything was within normal limits. Will ask for another this year.

2) Recently quit my stressful job due to moving for school (with two week notice ofcourse) #responsible #whatstress

3) I'm so ready to improve my diet and start back working out now that I have the time!

Current length: My last flat iron was in December and I was BSL. Don't plan on flat ironing again until August and I'm just hoping for MBL.

Regimen:

Alternate moisture and protein washes. Edit: 2:1 ratio moisture: protein

On protein weeks:

• Prepoo with a scalp exfoliant on scalp and Etae Caramel Treatment on length no heat
  • Shampoo with diluted shampoo, water, and ACV solution
  • Herbal rinse (NEW, trialing)
  • Deep condition with mild protein deep conditioner diluted with AVJ, a cap full of Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, and oil mix (coconut, avocado, grapeseed, and olive).
  • *Hard protein every 6-8 weeks. Following up with moisture conditioner.
  • Detangle with DC on hair with paddle brush. Sit under the dryer and/0r leave on overnight.
  • Style in wash n go using a leave in, conditioner, and gel with extra product and lubed up ends (usually butter but trialing beeswax)
On moisture weeks:
  • Prepoo with a scalp exfoliant on scalp and oil mix on length with heat
  • Cowash
  • Tea rinse or herbal rinse
  • Deep condition with moisture protein diluted with AVJ, Ayurvedic powders, and oil mix
  • Detangle with DC on hair with paddle brush. Sit under the dryer and/or leave on overnight.
  • Style in wash n go using leave in, conditioner, and gel with extra product and lubed up end (usually butter but trialing beeswax)
Every morning I sprits my hair with a diluted leave in mixed with Glycerin, and my oil mix (trialing honey), add X-cel to the roots with an applicator bottle, and spread through scalp with an afro pick.

In the evenings I sprits with my mix again, add my version of Curly Proverbs hair growth oil to my scalp and ends, and spread through scalp with an afro pick.

I plan to drink at least 2L of water a day and work out 30 minutes 4 days a week alternating cardio and strength. Once I get some decent recipes together I also plan to try a vegetarian diet again.

Exact goal length: TBL but I'll more than gladly take Hip by December '18

Plans to help you achieve your goal: Staying consistent with my regimen.

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking:
  • One A Day
  • Hair, Skin, and Nails
  • Vitamin D
  • Fish Oil
  • Garlic
  • Probiotics
Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: Keep em' glistening!

So it just took me eleventy years to find my original post to say ... I want a redo :lachen:Happy to see this challenge has been extended cause aaahh I need it o_O

I made an unconscious decision to enjoy my hair to its fullest extent and do none of the stuff I said I would last year. Flat ironing, wash & gos, twist outs, braid outs, sew-ins (and neglecting the health of my hair to preserve each style). I had a blast can't evum lie but in a year I went from BSL... to full BSL. It's time to get busy.

Starting Length: Full BSL about 2 inches from MBL
First Goal: MBL by April (next time I'll be flat ironing)
End Goal: TBL by Dec' 19

I have real deal committed to keeping my routine consistent for the entire year of 2018 which is what I know has worked in the past.
  • Washing weekly (scalp always thanks me), doing a mid week full re-moisturizing routine BEFORE hair gets dry
  • Using less cowash and more shampoo. Probably will never buy another cowash my scalp loves shampoo. Therefore will start back prepooing which will also give me use of these rinse outs I dont use
  • DCing with heat every week. Will save up for another steamer since my LCL died like two years ago rip and I never replaced it. But my hair loved it so really I'm just a bad hair parent
  • Stretching my hair in damp bantu knots because its been 3 days and 6+ hours under my bonnet dryer and they're still wet I cant live like this
  • Bunning!
  • Sealing with Shea butter
Stuff I'm still trialing
  • Spraying with Xcel twice a week
  • Oiling scalp with CP growth oil daily

I will be working out a minimum of 3 times a week and drinking 96 oz of water a day

I still want to be a unicorn :rolleyes:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Seriously, your hair is so healthy and lush!!!!

Thank you!

I'm really glad I got it flat ironed. Seeing it made all the investment over 2017 feel worthwhile.

Also, I was so worried all year that I was damaging my hair majorly by detangling with a brush, retwisting at night, etc. I can let go of those fears and just proceed this year. :smile: What a relief!

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
So, I’m starting the NY with a trim. I want to say I trimmed myself back to MBL, but I would be delusional if I said that. I also think I went too long; I don’t even have the last time I trimmed in my calendar. I’m pretty sure it’s been more more than 4 months. My ends needed it.

Alma Petra

Thank you!

I'm really glad I got it flat ironed. Seeing it made all the investment over 2017 feel worthwhile.

Also, I was so worried all year that I was damaging my hair majorly by detangling with a brush, retwisting at night, etc. I can let go of those fears and just proceed this year. :smile: What a relief!
What a beautiful success story you have been this year! Go girl! Love your hair!

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I just trimmed my ends and am ready to start 2018 fresh. I experienced some breakage the last 6 months and once trimmed, didn't gain any growth from WHip length. To prevent that from happening again, I'll be protective styling heavily and paying particular attention to my ends. No more product experiments (well, except for this shea blend I'm playing with), no more lazy wash days, and no more loose hair styles.

snoop

I was overdue for a wash. On Friday, I washed and did some scalp exfoliation and a protein treatment and spent the following two days installing mini twists. Today I trimmed and I'm ready to start the year. I still have to take my beginning of the year length check pictures. My twists aren't shrinking as much as they used to which is making me smile. I can see the length! I plan on wearing twists as much as possible for the next three months.

morgandenae

Morgan Denae'
Just finished my mid week re-moisturizing routine and #1 my hair was dry and #2 I had sooo many knots and tangles. I'm going to forego the small amount of gel I used during wash day and see if that works. If that doesn't work I'm foregoing stretches in bantu knots all together.

Very frustrated with the amount of hair I lost :mad:

Taleah2009

After being on this board 7++ years I am finally taking the time to learn my hair. I have realized after a good wash and DC session, my hair stays nice and moisturized for a good 3 days. I can push it a 4th day but dryness is definitely starting to set in. By day 5 my hair is dry as a bone and super tangly. Sooo I need to start my moisturizing routine by morning day 4 daily moisture after that. Dirty hair for me does not retain moisture so daily moisturizing with WATER and oiling/butter sealing is mandatory.

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
I haven't posted in here in a while! Not much has changed in my regimen besides that I now use cones and more regular ayurveda. I still rollerset, comb out the curls and bun. I'm really happy with my hair. It's thick and dark. I just wish the humidity didn't poof it up so easily.
I have a tentative goal of WL for the end of this year but nothing would change with how I wear it so it's no stress.

Year start pics:

20180104_222136.jpg received_10154753776321643.jpeg
Left is flat iron from December.
Right is length check from August.

Didn't check the length after this flat iron and I trimmed so I'm assuming I'm still around the August pull test.

AgeinATL

I’ve been steadily trimming my heat damage and hope to be rid of it (and reach full hip length) sometime this year. Here is my starting picture for the year. Hair is stretched with lots of texture at the roots:
10BDA766-2BE9-4B49-A135-E7721E0D9B0F.jpeg

Bringing JBCO back into my regimen for my edges, nape, and ends. Other than that, I’m continuing my same routine.

Happy New Year ladies and hoping that we all reach our goals this year!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I’ve been steadily trimming my heat damage and hope to be rid of it (and reach full hip length) sometime this year. Here is my starting picture for the year. Hair is stretched with lots of texture at the roots:
View attachment 421035

Bringing JBCO back into my regimen for my edges, nape, and ends. Other than that, I’m continuing my same routine.

Happy New Year ladies and hoping that we all reach our goals this year!

That juicy bun though.....
I've always loved your hair!

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
@Colocha @AgeinATL Yaaaaas to all that beautiful hair. Looking good ladies.

I washed and did a protein treatment yesterday. I ended up roller setting after lord knows how long. I was in no mood to straighten my hair to trim so roller setting provided enough stretch to my ends to do so. I haven’t trimmed yet since my hair is still in Bantu knots but I will in a bit.

Last length check I was past MBL stretched so idk after this trim where I’ll be but I’m very OCD when it comes to my ends.

AgeinATL

@Colocha @AgeinATL Yaaaaas to all that beautiful hair. Looking good ladies.

I washed and did a protein treatment yesterday. I ended up roller setting after lord knows how long. I was in no mood to straighten my hair to trim so roller setting provided enough stretch to my ends to do so. I haven’t trimmed yet since my hair is still in Bantu knots but I will in a bit.

Last length check I was past MBL stretched so idk after this trim where I’ll be but I’m very OCD when it comes to my ends.

Thanks girl!

I hear you on the ends. I’ve probably cut off wayyyy more than I should because I hate the feel of those darn knots.

What protein treatment did you use?

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
Thanks girl!

I hear you on the ends. I’ve probably cut off wayyyy more than I should because I hate the feel of those darn knots.

What protein treatment did you use?

This is me at this point. I can’t stand the way they feel so I will cut without thinking about it.

I used Nexxus Ermgencee. It had Collagen and Hydroyzed Elastin. It doesn’t leave my hair feeling hard so I like it.

morgandenae

Morgan Denae'
Shampooed my hair and did a protein DC w/ayurvedic powders last night.

T-shirt dried to about 50%, moisturized and then sealed with whipped shea. I added even more shea to the ends trying to get the benefits of decreased tangling that I've seen very minimum of :confused: still lost a lot of hair but I'm giving it hope and time.

I think I'm having slight protein overload. My hair was hard when rinsing out my DC. Wont be using another protein DC or adding Colorful Neutral Protein and will be cutting my powders in half until it softens up a bit.

My hair is also still wet in my bantu knots. I think next wash day I'll put my hair in twists and sit under the dryer for 5-10 min until damp first.

I swear i'll get this routine down one day :laugh: