Homemade Concoctions-Calling all chemist an master mixers

renren

Hi Ladies,

I would like to get recommendations on preservatives I can use for 2 homemade hair products:

1. A whipped butter. This will consist of oils an shea butter only... no water involved. I am a bit concerned that water will get into the butter when Im applying it (wet hands or dripping hair etc:ohwell:) and that it would grow mold and bacteria.:blush:

2. A spritz made of distilled water, aloe thix and glycerine.

Im not sure if i can use the same preservative for both... I dont want to use essential oils or extracts because I've done a bit of reading and some say that they are not preservatives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:yep:

Tiye

Hi Ladies,

I would like to get recommendations on preservatives I can use for 2 homemade hair products:

1. A whipped butter. This will consist of oils an shea butter only... no water involved. I am a bit concerned that water will get into the butter when Im applying it (wet hands or dripping hair etc:ohwell:) and that it would grow mold and bacteria.:blush:

Vitamin E oil. Or you can blend it with cocoa butter that's high in vitamin E.

Try grapefruit seed extract. Rosemary eo actually is a preservative. It's not strong enough if you want to sell product, and definitely not if you want to make products with shelf life. But it's fine for home use.

Im not sure if i can use the same preservative for both... I dont want to use essential oils or extracts because I've done a bit of reading and some say that they are not preservatives.

If you're making stuff for home use then the best thing is to make small batches that you can use up in a short period of time. Butters - best used in a few months. Spritzes - best used in a few weeks. Also extra jars or butters of product that you're not using should be stored in the fridge. This keeps them from going rancid or growing mold before you get to use them.

TeeWhyAre

i love kitchen-ticians and mixologists. There is one here (I don't know her LHCF name) but she sent me a Christmas gift of hair products last year that she made and I LOVE IT. My hair loves it, my mommas hair loves it and it's baby fine and super thin... When we run out of this stuff, likely in the next few weeks we will be crying the BLUES!

Lawd, I hope she either gives up her recipe or lets us buy some from her because she should sell that fantastic stuff. My hair feels like butter after using her product.

renren

Hi Ladies,

Vitamin E oil. Or you can blend it with cocoa butter that's high in vitamin E.

Try grapefruit seed extract. Rosemary eo actually is a preservative. It's not strong enough if you want to sell product, and definitely not if you want to make products with shelf life. But it's fine for home use.

If you're making stuff for home use then the best thing is to make small batches that you can use up in a short period of time. Butters - best used in a few months. Spritzes - best used in a few weeks. Also extra jars or butters of product that you're not using should be stored in the fridge. This keeps them from going rancid or growing mold before you get to use them.

Thanks for the recommendations... I read somewhere that vit E, rosemary and grapefruit seed extract are all antioxiants... so it would prevent rancidity but not bacteria. I will do some more research... thanks again

Aireen

I'm a very amateur mixer, I just add oils to my conditioner. Hooray for you for being hardcore and making your own butter! :party: :grin:

For the bacteria concern, use a popsicle stick or clean spoon to scope out your butter.

winona

i love kitchen-ticians and mixologists. There is one here (I don't know her LHCF name) but she sent me a Christmas gift of hair products last year that she made and I LOVE IT. My hair loves it, my mommas hair loves it and it's baby fine and super thin... When we run out of this stuff, likely in the next few weeks we will be crying the BLUES!

Lawd, I hope she either gives up her recipe or lets us buy some from her because she should sell that fantastic stuff. My hair feels like butter after using her product.

Aaawww thanks lady:grin: I am glad you like it. I wish I had more time to pursue making homemade products on a larger scale. Right now I am so busy with family, church, school, volunteering and work:lachen: I barely have time to sleep:nono: