Homemade Flaxseed Gel Results

renren

You ladies are soo kind... thanks for the compliments.. sometime I feel to cut it all off... dealing with texturized hair is a bit difficult sometimes...

Ok so im home and hair really wen poof.... I dont even wana take pics lol... def. cant get 2nd day hair with the gel I made.. ill make it more goopy next time....

Iluvsmuhgrass

Thanks ladies!!!

hmm I wonder why so many ppl. dont like okra... I boil them an eat them whole..:lick:

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww :lol: For me it's a texture thing. I can't take some textures. Slime (boiled okra, flan, etc) and grit (figs, anything with sand in/on it, etc.) are my two "ain't no way" textures lol. Funny thing is that two of my nieces are the exact same way. It's a family thing. :lol:

Fine 4s

Fine 4s you updated in your fotki the following

*****UPDATE*****

After keeping the twists done with this mixture in for a week, I found that they were a bit fuzzier than last week. This could be due to the ommission of the shea butter. To test this hypothesis, I will add the shea butter back in, but use only 1/2 tsp.

What did work best for you, re adding the shea butter?

I have some old flaxseed, I am going to try this. This may not be good for my relax hair but it may for my cousin's. Would this be good for slicking back your edges, what do you think you all?

Hey,

This was a link to someone else's Fotki. I've never done this mixture.

Sorry!

Curlykale

Great result, I love it!
I love flax seed gel and it is the only styling product I use now, have been for 2 years.
If you want it to be thicker:
- use more seeds per quantity of water
- or add some xanthan gum into the gel once you have strained it. The trick is: melt the xanthan gum into a small quantity of cold water. Meanwhile, keep boiling the strained gel. Add, then, the cold water + xanthan into the gel and whisk. You can find xanthan in the baking department of health food stores.

Other tricks:
- you can add a pinch of citric acid to lower the ph (a ph of 4 to 5 closes your cuticles and gives you smoother hair). if you don't have it, just add half a tablespoon apple cider vinegar or one tablespoon of aloe vera juice once it's cold and whisk.
- spring, filtered or distilled water works better
- add very few drops of essential oils for smell, once its cold (otherwise they evaporate)
- you can put it in the freezer straight away for 15 minutes and it will be ready to use
- you can even add conditioner and small quantities of oil to it and whisk with an electric whisker (ceramide oils such as sunflower are good for this purpose as they smooth the hair. the conditioner binds the gel and oil together)
- I'e never tried this but you can even add pectin, a little agave or honey if your hair likes them
- I find that golden flax seeds work better than the brown ones (more gel)
- you can buy them in bulk for a low price as food for horses

I even use it as a moisturizer sometimes, it's so amazing...

Last edited:

renren

ciccina thank you soo much for all that information!!!!!!!!! Im glad to know that you have been using it with success for so long! I will definately try the ph trick. I use my shea butter mixture before I apply the gel so I wouldnt add any oils to it. I was thinking about getting some optiphen for it though... as a preservative... its a bit inconvenient to go the the fridge all the time when im rushing in the morning

classychic1908

Your hair came out beautifully! FSG doesn't have enough hold for me. I have thought about playing around with other additions to increase the hold factor, but I haven't done it yet.

WantNatural

I just tried my own flaxseed gel a couple of weeks ago. The first batch worked pretty well. I was impressed with the hold - it's not as strong as Ecostyler, which I thought was the only gel that could tame my hair - but it does hold pretty well and my hair remains soft. You can use the same seeds to make a second batch, so I tried that, but it was more watery, which I don't like. Once I'm done with this second batch I'm going to try again, making it thicker this time. Overall I'm pleased with it. I like that it's natural and cheap to make.

Geminigirl

I made this and I like it, but it left a white residue in my hair, I am not sure what I did wrong , also I had a stiff hard hold. I think I had some left over that i chucked because because it say refrigerate after opening but I never did.

Droid typing leads to typos for me