Honey In Conditioners?

KinksnCurlz

Thanks to Edie's post, I would like some information on putting honey in your conditioner. Who does this? And Why? What do you get out of it? What conditioner do you mix it with, is this important?
Thanks ladies.

katie

I've added honey to Le Kair Cholesterol.After deep conditioning with it,it made my hair feel softer and more moisturized than before.And it added a bit extra slip too for me.So honey's a keeper

TinyT

Well I know that honey is a natural humectant. A Humectant retains moisture. But I have never done it, so i am not sure what the effects really are. My guess would be that it helps retain the moisture in the hair shaft provided by the conditioner.

bettydavis

I usually add a bit to my shampoos and conditioners after I read an article about it on how it helps hair increase its elasticity, based on this experiment I read about. I wanted to post a link, but the page is no longer there. Basically they tested different natural substances to see how it affects hair. Of all they tested they found that honey increased elasticity the most, and eggs increased the strength the most.

Angelicus

the daily conditioner that i use [Brentwood Salon Care Honey and Almonds conditioner] is very good to me [slip, shine (from the honey, i am guessing) and moisturizing]. I have been thinking about adding more honey to it after reading this post.

Edie

I add 3 tablespoons honey, 2 tablespoons olive oil to self absorbed or moisture maniac by Bed Head. Some times I mix the two conditioners or use Humectess by Nexxus. Works every time.

KinksnCurlz

Hmm, maybe i can just nix the pre-treatment (time consuming) and just add the honey/evoo to my humecto? You guys give me so much to think about

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
tracyannette said:
Well I know that honey is a natural humectant. A Humectant retains moisture. But I have never done it, so i am not sure what the effects really are. My guess would be that it helps retain the moisture in the hair shaft provided by the conditioner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honey is a part of my weekly conditioning routine. Honey is a great humectant. Honey also has antibacterial properties and is very soothing to the skin.

The crazy thing is that the honey rinses completely clean from my hair. I thought that I would end up with a sticky mess in my hair, but that has never happened.

I'm not sure how much honey I add to my conditioner. I just take off the top and add a couple of dollops to my conditioning mixture.

Try it out. Honey is inexpensive and it won't hurt your hair.

TinyT

Hummm....I will try it. I also didn't know that it had antibacterial properties. That could be great for me, since I have had 2 serious bouts with a bacterial scalp infection that lead to surgery. Thanks for the info.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
I never used Honey in my conditioner before...but I use it in a hot oil treatment mixed with olive oil and coconut oil. I will try this out this evening.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
Hmm, maybe i can just nix the pre-treatment (time consuming) and just add the honey/evoo to my humecto? You guys give me so much to think about

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't stop your pre-treatments. I just went back to them after stopping for a while and I'm happy that I did.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
[ QUOTE ]
anky said:
the daily conditioner that i use [Brentwood Salon Care Honey and Almonds conditioner] is very good to me [slip, shine (from the honey, i am guessing) and moisturizing]. I have been thinking about adding more honey to it after reading this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anky--I looked this up on the Sally's website...looks like it only comes in gallon size. Do you have a whole gallon of this stuff

TinyT

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
anky said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Anky--I looked this up on the Sally's website...looks like it only comes in gallon size. Do you have a whole gallon of this stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not anky, but she and i both have a gallon of this stuff. (Actually I have 2 gallons)
I really like this stuff, it is slippery and smells great. I am sure anky will add her 2 or 3 cents too.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
Honey doesn't go bad or anything right? I added some to a conditioner I hardly use anymore..but I'll put it in one my most recent purchases if it doesn't go bad or anything..

Thanks!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
[ QUOTE ]
tracyannette said:
[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
anky said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not anky, but she and i both have a gallon of this stuff. (Actually I have 2 gallons)
I really like this stuff, it is slippery and smells great. I am sure anky will add her 2 or 3 cents too.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is ALOT of conditioner
You won't have to worry about running low for a while

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't stop your pre-treatments. I just went back to them after stopping for a while and I'm happy that I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't then. Thanks SuperHair

lunalight7

CH, I often add about a tablespoon of honey, avocado oil, and pure AO aloe vera to Humectress. The result was very shiny hair! Try it gurl...

Zuppy

I'm a huge advocate of honey in conditioners. I just recently advised a board member on using Honey with Humatress
i wonder how she's doing? I don't really measure but about 2 to 3 tbl spoons. My result are: Very Shiney Silky hair! I also read about honey being a humecant,causing shiney hair and the antibacterial properties. It also rinses away with no sticky ill side effects. Oooohhh and the smell is wonderful.

Isis

Are all of you using clover honey? Are there different results with different kinds of honey (like alfalfa, wildflower)? Or is it ALL good.

KinksnCurlz

Lulu, i use olive oil, honey & suave coconut conditioner. I warm up the olive oil & honey in the micro, pour same on my head, massage it in gently and then apply the conditioner. I've also done last product first, first 2 products last.

asha

What type of honey are you all using. I don't know much about honey but can you just buy the stuff at the grocery store or should it be the stuff from the health food store?