Hooded Dryers

OnlyChild

Are they considered a true heat appliance like curling irons and blow dryers? Can you get heat damage from sitting under hooded dryers more than once a week.

Hi OnlyChild:

I've been fretting this one for a while. There's a thread at Yet another hair site that suggests that the dome dryer should be treated as another heat appliance.

It says "Myth 4: Hair dryers don't harm your hair.

They do. Hair dryers dry out hair and damage hair shafts when they're used too hot or too close to the hair. The best thing to do is to use them infrequently. And when you have no option but to use a dryer, make sure that your hair is moist."

I interpret this to mean that it shouldn't be used on a high setting and your hair shouldn't be right at the heat vent. I don't know what "infrequent" use would mean. I wonder if it even makes sense to get out before your hair is completely dry . . . though they seem to poo poo this approach at the salon.

I'm still wondering on it.

HTH,
Cheveux

BTW the credit goes to Tara who pointed us to the link Tara's link

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Allandra said:
I always thought sitting under a hooded dryer was ok for the hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel the same way. When I use oils or a moisturizing conditioner to set my hair I feel like I'm getting a mini deep conditioning treatment. I use it on warm and I always have something in my hair...especially the ends.

I'm certainly no expert on this. But I've been wondering about it for a long time. I think it's primarily a question of temperature - though I think we would all agree that air drying, on average, is the least damaging. The last time I went to the salon, they put me under (what they called) their "lightning fast dryer". Just before I went under, they placed these soft fabric ear protectors over my ears. At first, I thought it was a nice, professional jesture. As I sat there, I started thinking, if they expect my ears to get hot, what is happening to my scalp?

When I was a child, I lived under a hair dryer. One day my father taped a note on the hood that read, "Oh heat, dry up my brain. - Shakespeare."

Just speculating,
Cheveux

Back