How about a type 3 support thread?

Str8~Curly

Hello curly girls. If this exists here already let me know, but I searched and have not found anything. I almost said type 3 naturals, but I know when I had a relaxer I still had to use heat to have straight hair. I think it would be good to support each other with our issues. I just thought of this sitting here perplexed over how my curls just devoured about a half of bottle conditioner. Maybe it’s just me but this type of hair seems very fickle. I have to constantly change my routine around. I think my curly hair is defiant. Right now my issue is dryness. Your turn.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm transitioning now. My hair is mostly 3c with a small patch of 4a. I mostly wear wash n gos now because I was tired of hiding my hair. I'min the process of learning how to do different things to my hair. I am happy to support type 3s or any other type, if I can.:)

Ayeshia

Im in! I find that with my hair, a relaxer never really took. It still looked just like my natural hair if I didnt get a flat iron put to it. There was never a happy medium. Either under processed or over processed :nono:

Str8~Curly

I had the same issue. That is one reason I decided to go natural. I figured what was the point of if my hair still wasn't straight afterwards.

Ayeshia said:
Im in! I find that with my hair, a relaxer never really took. It still looked just like my natural hair if I didnt get a flat iron put to it. There was never a happy medium. Either under processed or over processed :nono:

Nice & Wavy

Sar-I said:
Hello curly girls. If this exists here already let me know, but I searched and have not found anything. I almost said type 3 naturals, but I know when I had a relaxer I still had to use heat to have straight hair. I think it would be good to support each other with our issues. I just thought of this sitting here perplexed over how my curls just devoured about a half of bottle conditioner. Maybe it’s just me but this type of hair seems very fickle. I have to constantly change my routine around. I think my curly hair is defiant. Right now my issue is dryness. Your turn.

THANK YOU for starting this thread. You are right...type 3 hair is very fickle.

Right now my issue is:.....I don't know what to do with it to style it for a wedding. I'm wearing a really beautiful gown and I bought a french curl ponytail (10 inches) but my husband wants me to wear my own hair out because he says "its so pretty....please?" I don't know how to style it for the wedding...I need some HELP!!!!!

Thanks....:D

Cichelle

I'm in. I'll be back to write a little later, though. I have to go cowash my hair. I'm not kidding. :)

camellia

Sar-I said:
well, wherever you are, beautiful hair.

Thank you.:)

I agree this hair type is very fickle. That's part of why it's so hard to type it. On a dry day my freshly washed hair can look barely wavy, somewhere in the "2's", and then on a humid day it looks like I have 3B/C all over.

My one and only experiment with a relaxer was in my freshman year of high school. I took a Dark and Lovely boxed kit and tried to relax my hair. I didn't properly read the directions, I stupidly applied it from the ends up :eek: instead of the roots down. There wasn't enough in the kit to even do half of my hair... I left it on for 30 minutes. And to top it all off my hair didn't even become straight! It turned out very dry and frizzy.

The "relaxed" part steadily broke off over the next 6 months. Then most of the rest of my hair broke off with the constant heat I used.

Kalani

Sar-I said:

All of this is me to a tee! There are some times when my curls are brillaint and other times when I'm like :perplexed ???? I constantly have to rotate my products cause even when doing a consisitent routine, my curls will suddenly morph into another personality!

And I also have to use nearly a half bottle of conditioner during times. It gets pricey cause I can't use cheap conditioners for too long without it causing dryness. Aubrey conditioners are the only ones I can use consistently long term with good results. Going thru half bottles of GPB or Honeysuckle rose gets a little expensive. :ohwell:

Overall, the unpredictability of my curls is frustrating!

Kalani

Oh and I'm also relaxed but that doesn't stop my curls from doing their thing. :lol: I relax to keep them managed cuase they are even more out of control in their natural state and I just don't have the time and patience for it.

neenzmj

I'm in. I'm tackling issues of dryness right now, so I'm currently on the hunt for the best products to deal with it. When I hair is dry, it seems to tangle a lot easier and then I get knots on the ends (I hate it when that happens.)

Thus far, I've had success with NTM leave-in for daily use and Elucence for deep conditioning, but I really need a good product for day-to-day moisture.

Nice & Wavy

neenzmj said:
I'm in. I'm tackling issues of dryness right now, so I'm currently on the hunt for the best products to deal with it. When I hair is dry, it seems to tangle a lot easier and then I get knots on the ends (I hate it when that happens.)

Thus far, I've had success with NTM leave-in for daily use and Elucence for deep conditioning, but I really need a good product for day-to-day moisture.

You know, I've been using Oyin Whipped Pudding lately and it really leaves my hair soft...not dry at all.

neenzmj

Nice & Wavy said:
You know, I've been using Oyin Whipped Pudding lately and it really leaves my hair soft...not dry at all.
I actually think I have some of this (bought it during a PJ spree.) I may have to give it another try. When do you usually apply it?

curlilocs

Type 3 hair does have a mind of it's own. I usually just let my hair do it's thing. As long as I keep it as moisturized as possible and don't try to straighten it too often (I've done it 3 times since I BC'ed 2 years ago) we get along just fine!

PatTodd

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't relaxed my hair for a year, and I am trying to decide whether to, so I might be transitioning. My hair is so wavy, it makes me crazy. Like Sar-1, even when it's relaxed I still need heat for it to be straight, so why bother?

I have never worn it down or out in its natural state and I am like, afraid to. I am quite conservative by nature and I want my hair to be straight, smooth and contained. Which would be fine except that ain't the kind of hair I have! I might be trying my first wash n' go with Beyond the Zone Noodle Head this weekend (thanks, Pokahontas!)

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

neenzmj said:
I actually think I have some of this (bought it during a PJ spree.) I may have to give it another try. When do you usually apply it?

I apply it after I CW in the morning...to me, it works on both wet or slightly dry hair. I put it on my fingertips and them rub it in my hands first before applying it to my hair. Then, I massage it in my hair...a little at a time, not one big blob. I make sure I get the ends good too and then I use very little Burnt Sugar Pomade (thanks again, Pokahontas) and rub that into my hands before applying it to my edges and my ends. My hair stays soft and frizz free all day. This is what I'm bringing to Florida with me tommorrow!

BTW: The second picture in my siggy, that's the only thing I used that day and that picture was taken after I got home from work around 6pm.

imstush

I am in...3c here:D

And everyone else has described my hair. My curls has a mind of their own. Everytime I think I find a HG give it a week or two, and I need to find a new one. Go through conditioners like nobodies business, etc etc.:)

Cichelle

Sometimes I really don't know what my hair type is....3A, 3B, 3C...I don't know. My hair used to be very curly when it was shorter. Now it seems more wavy with some curl on the ends. I'm wondering what it is going to look like as it gets longer than this. Is the curl going to entirely disappear?

I used to relax 4 times a year, from root to tip and then wear it curly. :perplexed Go figure.

Great thread.

Str8~Curly

I really like B&B oil moisturizer.

neenzmj said:

Str8~Curly

What product(s) do you use to moisturize, Curlilocs?

curlilocs said:
Type 3 hair does have a mind of it's own. I usually just let my hair do it's thing. As long as I keep it as moisturized as possible and don't try to straighten it too often (I've done it 3 times since I BC'ed 2 years ago) we get along just fine!

Kalani

Cichelle said:
Sometimes I really don't know what my hair type is....3A, 3B, 3C...I don't know

I gave up trying to figure this one out. Once I think I know, I learn some new piece of information that refutes what I previously thought. The only thing I know for sure is that I fit into the 3 category. :lol: