How common are a la carte services at the salon?

OnlyErin

I wondered if more and more salons are joining the trend of charging for individual services (i.e., if you get a relaxer, you must pay an additional fee for a roller set or blow drying or relaxing).

I routinely pay $140 for a touchup - $80 for the actual chemical and $60 for a "trim" (usually a cut
) and styling. I want to change hairdressers mainly because the guy never listens to me to just dust the ends and not cut, but it seems that every salon is now charging for every little thing. It seemed you only saw that in salons that were geared more toward non-blacks, but now salons that do black hair almost exclusively are charging for every little thing. Is it just me? Or is it just Florida? Or are the salons trying to get over even more?

OE

Jade21

Erin,

Is there a charge for a deep conditioner after the relaxer touch-up? A friend of mine here in Virginia told me they tried to pull something like that with her. She made a lot of noise and they stopped. She had never heard of anything like that.

Frankly, I think the "a la carte" trend is becoming the trend all over the US.

With your trims, have you ever considered a barber or a place like Bubbles or Super Cuts? I would highly recommend that you let someone else deal with your ends at this point. Sounds like you have had a bad experience and there is no need to have the stress. I think it would be a lot easier just to be able to say "no thanks" to the trim by this guy

Cheers,

Jade

azul11

why would a trim be 60 dollars???? i think that price is highly inflated. how is it possible a trim would be 60 and a touchup 80?? and why in the world is a touchup with a trim 140 dollars????
i'm sorry but that is ridiculous. unless they were applying liquid gold to my hair i cannot see myself paying that much money. no way no how. i think it is ridiculous how these salons overcharge for everything but that takes the cake. God bless you all.

karezone

In my town the relaxer usually runs from $50-75 depending on where you go. Everything else is free. The trim, deep conditioning, and the style. If they charged for each individual thing in this town, they would not have any business

butterscotch

And I thought the prices in Brooklyn were getting bad...

You are paying way too much money to get your hair done, no matter how great their products are or what celebrity stylist works there (I hope one does for those prices!!).

You also mentioned that your stylist doesn't even listen when you ask him to trim your hair instead of cut....If you are paying that much money, he should listen to EVERYTHING you tell him - from hello to goodbye
. Although I am shocked that you pay this much money, I do know of salons in NYC that charge exorbitant fees for people with long hair (20 inches or more).

The only thing I get charged extra for is the deep condition and a trim, which is $5 more for each service..