The cost of salon hair services: Are they 'getting over' on us?

SUPER SWEET

Its just like clothing, people buy expensive bags and clothes because they are paying for the quality and the name association. Clients are used to quality, want the finished product, service,and comfort that comes with work done in XYZ shop and have the means to pay. As a lot of you guys said, it takes money to make money ie booth fees, products, time and work etc

this reminded me of this song...:lachen:this was my ish too!
YouTube - Stretch Money Takes Money to Make Money

Vashti

For me if a hairstyle costs more than $100, it's too much. I don't expect for people to work for dirt cheap because I don't want to work for dirt cheap. However when it starts costing hundreds of dollars per session to get your hair done, that's a little much. If others are willing to pay for it, more power to them. It won't be me though. I can find better uses for that kind of money.

glamazon386

That's what I pay about $50. I think that's fair. It's comparable to a wash and set for a relaxed head. Back when I was relaxing regularly $5+ years ago I paid about $40 for a wash and set so with inflation that should be about right.

glamazon386

I guess guys the reason I feel like I'm overpaying is because:

Imagine its summer. And humid. Or raining. Or just a hot day. Or I worked out. Or whatever reason....I get my hair washed/pressed/steamed/trimmed and if they curl it: The curls last about 10 minutes tops. The press really only looks really good for 4-7 days tops in 'most' of the scenarios above.

I don't really feel like in most cases I'm overpaying for a trim or a cut. Or perhaps even whatever the wash part costs. I think it's in the pressing/styling because it doesn't seem to last long for me relative to what I'm paying for it. Can anybody else relate?

Maybe I need to learn to do better at making my styles last. Or perhaps it really just comes with the territory of having natural hair.

I understand how you feel OP but honestly none of this has anything to do with the amount of work the stylist put into doing your hair or the amount of money you spent. She did what you paid her to do. After you leave the shop, you're on your own. This is why I don't even bother going to the shop anymore. I feel like it's a waste of money for it to only look good for a few days and then I want to wash it out. I don't know if it has anything to do with natural hair. I do find it interesting that I never had this problem when I was relaxed. My style always lasted until my next hair appointment.

Last edited:

BostonMaria

I pay anywhere between $30-$40 depending on what I'm getting done. Its pretty cheap, especially since I only go to salons 1 or 2 times a year.

zzirvingj

I understand how you feel OP but honestly none of this has anything to do with the amount of work the stylist put into doing your hair or the amount of money you spent. She did what you paid her to do. After you leave the shop, you're on your own. This is why I don't even bother going to the shop anymore. I feel like it's a waste of money for it to only look good for a few days and then I want to wash it out. I don't know if it has anything to do with natural hair. I do find it interesting that I never had this problem when I was relaxed. My style always lasted until my next hair appointment.

*sigh*

Yeah, glamazon, I totally see your point...

janeemat

I have not been to the hair salon in roughly 2 years. Thats why I quit going along with all of the good info from LHCF!