The cost of salon hair services: Are they 'getting over' on us?

zzirvingj

I think in my area you will usually pay around $50/$60 to get your natural hair washed/conditioned/blow dried/pressed.

This typically does not include if you are getting a trim or cut (typically an extra 10-20 for a trim, maybe 20-50 for a cut). And this usually does not include a "steam treatment" or "deep conditioning" (probably another $10-$20).

(^Note: this is not taking into account Dominican salons.)

What do you pay in the salons in your area?

If I go to get a wash/press with trim and dc or steam treatment, I'm typically looking at around $80ish. *IF* I were to go to the salon biweekly,that's $160 per month on just my hair. (I don't go to the salon biweekly, or even monthly, but just fyi.)

Am I cheap....or does it seem like the cost of getting your hair done is overpriced? Maybe I'm not keeping up with inflation because I went so long doing my own hair and can barely remember how much it costed to get my relaxed hair relaxed. It seemed like it was around $50, but for everything (relaxer, deep condition, trim).

Are we paying a fair price for salon services, or are most of them really overcharging?

Last edited:

mscurly

See.... that ish right there is EXACTLY why I don't go to get my hair done. Except to a dominican salon when I want a blow out. Everything else I do my damn self cause these salons try and rip a sister off.

SimJam

Im in Jamaica I pay abt $25 to blowdry and style (twist or cornrow) I usually wash my hair before I go to the salon. I think its an extra 10 to wash. This is with a certified salon.

I now only go abt once a month IF I feel like getting a "style"

I always found salon serviices in the US to be overpriced IMO

ETA: your hair is pretty OP :yep:

diadall

I have not been to a stylist regularly since about 2003-2006. It was expensive and it was when I was relaxed. I was going to a day spa salon.

I payed about $55 for a wash and blow dry and "iron work" started at $50. Which means I would pay about $110 for a visit and have to tip the stylist, shampoo'er and receptionist. I only got relaxers every 4-6 months and those started at $165.

I was going once a month for a hairstyle that didn't last a week. I wised up and started doing my hair myself. In January 2008, I got my last relaxer. I transitioned for about two months and got the relaxed ends cut off and went straight to braides for the next 9 months.

The braids were $320. I got them done three times in a nine month period.

I am now doing my hair myself and the only expense I have is products but my hair has never looked better now that I have put it "in my own hands." -pun intended.

Charz

Sinister Minister
It's supply and demand. If people are willing to pay that price then I don't see how it is overcharging. People should be able to get as much compensation for the services that they provide as they can. And if people are not willing to pay, then prices will be forcibly lowered.

If someone does not like the prices, then they should learn how to perform the service themselves.

pjbapb

I have only been to the salon once since I have been natural. I was actually charged the same price I paid as when I was short haired and relaxed. I think that was because I came with my hair already washed, conditioned and detangled. All he had to do was blow it out and flat iron it. Other than that, i haven't gone because I am afraid of being overcharged. While I understand that time is money and it DOES take more time to do natural hair from start to finish, it seems like your time is worth more when I am natural than when I am relaxed and I disagree with that.

sikora

I think $50/ $60 dollars for a wash/ blow dry/ press is fine. That takes about 1 1/2 hours right? How much would you want to get paid per hour if you were doing that? I think about it from that perspective, plus utilities/ shampoo/ tools etc.

zzirvingj

See.... that ish right there is EXACTLY why I don't go to get my hair done. Except to a dominican salon when I want a blow out. Everything else I do my damn self cause these salons try and rip a sister off.

I swear I may be suffering from heat damage, so even though the dominican salons are cheaper, I can't go back to them.

See...I will probably get my hair done in a few weeks (need to make the appointment today)...I just feel, well, "ripped off" because I'll probably drop like $100 between the cost of the press/steam treatment/trim w/bangs cut & tip. I think I will do a rinse on it this weekend because I don't know if I'm willing to pay extra for that in the salon.

How much do men pay for their hair?

zzirvingj

I think $50/ $60 dollars for a wash/ blow dry/ press is fine. That takes about 1 1/2 hours right? How much would you want to get paid per hour if you were doing that? I think about it from that perspective, plus utilities/ shampoo/ tools etc.

Well, now that you break it down that way, the price does make sense/seem a little more fair actually.

berryblack

I don't know--$80ish seems relatively cheap around here in Texas.

The last quote I got about a dc/steam/press was STARTING at $90. You had to pay more if your hair was long.

Most natural hair salons here also make you pay a consultation fee, I think, and then set you up with an appointment later.

The only time I ever got my hair professionally pressed was 3 years ago. The stated price was only $25 but I got charged the "nappy and thick" tax, so it ended up being $50:perplexed! If the stylist wasn't so rough and did not repeatedly tell me how I didn't have "necessarily a bad grade of hair", I would have gone back at least once more...

zzirvingj

It's supply and demand. If people are willing to pay that price then I don't see how it is overcharging. People should be able to get as much compensation for the services that they provide as they can. And if people are not willing to pay, then prices will be forcibly lowered.

This makes sense.

If someone does not like the prices, then they should learn how to perform the service themselves.

Yeah, I think this goes without saying.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston

I agree with this. Going to a salon is a luxury, not a necessity, so the prices are set accordingly.

SimJam

exactly at both bolded .... here in Jamaica ppl who can do natural hair are a dime a dozen especially if ur going to someones house... heck ladies @ my office have offered to do my hair for free.

and once I learend to do my twists neatly, I hardly go to the salon .... now for cornrows ... umm I dont think I'll ever get the hang of those so I'll go when I feel for that style.

also for the most part natural hair services are more time consuming, and by that I mean the stylist has to be actually "in your hair" and not attending other clients.

PinkPebbles

I'm relaxed and the prices have definitely gone up over the past 3 to 5 years.

I only go to the salon for touch-ups; trims; color; and special occasions.

There are now a lot of DIYs and transitioners that have gone natural. Many hair stylists are not seeing their clients weekly or biweekly. Therefore, the prices have gone up.

My stylist tries her best to get me to come often, but that's not happening. Her pressure drove me to shop around for other stylists.

And the avg. price for shampoo/style for relaxed hair is $45. This does not include a DC :ohwell:. For relaxer touch-up $70 plus; add $15 for a DC; $20 for a trim. You'd end up paying over $100. Back in the day it used to be $50 for all of that.

mscurly

I swear I may be suffering from heat damage, so even though the dominican salons are cheaper, I can't go back to them.

See...I will probably get my hair done in a few weeks (need to make the appointment today)...I just feel, well, "ripped off" because I'll probably drop like $100 between the cost of the press/steam treatment/trim w/bangs cut & tip. I think I will do a rinse on it this weekend because I don't know if I'm willing to pay extra for that in the salon.

How much do men pay for their hair?

I experienced heat damage from them when I was going on a regular basis. Now I go maybe 3 times a year, the rest of the time I do my hair myself. When I go to the Dominicans I tell them to rollerset while wet and then just lightly blow it out after. NO flat iron or curling irons, thats too much heat.

If I knew how to straighten my own hair, I would NEVER go to a salon.

Bnster

Very Expensive, especially for people who income is tight and for seniors. However they do not have health benefits so I don't quarrel about the amount so far. I was spending $80 to $120 every 3 months getting my hair relaxed, trimmed (no cut let's get that right - most don't know the meaning of trim), treatment and/or coloured. Plus their weekly income is not for sure.

What I don't like is them giving you different prices for the same service, there they are ripping you off.

LaFemmeNaturelle

The normal price where I'm from is 40 for a wash, blow, and press and that includes deep treatment. When I was getting relaxers, I would pay 55-60 for a touchup, dc, flat iron and light trim. I never paid more than that until I got highlights on my natural hair and that was 90 dollars including a dc, press and style. Yes it seems like other cities are over charging people. I've never hear of such high prices in Detroit. I started hearing crazy prices when I moved to a predominantly white area

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
From a consumer's perspective, the prices seem high. However, when you consider how most black shops are ran, they are fortunate to break even. The contact time with a stylist plus materials tend to up there since most svcs take minimum 1hour. Most decent shops mean you have contact with a shampoo person plus stylist...

That's why I learned how to normal styles myself and leave specialty services for the salon.

SUPER SWEET

The prices are crazy! But I guess it's to pay the expensive rents. Sigh:ohwell: I pay about 75-80 for a wash,blow dry and trim in a salon... But when I go to the lady @ Great clips I pay 42 for the same. And she uses Thermasmooth with no extra charge but it's always crowded for her.

AlliCat

I think they're overcharging. But on the other hand I think all stylists overcharge and I also think it's ridiculous to REGULARLY pay someone to do something you could do yourself...but as for chemical treatments (relaxers, colour, bkt) those are probably worth the money and expertese....just my 0.02

Last edited:

Anne26

panda
Im in Jamaica I pay abt $25 to blowdry and style (twist or cornrow) I usually wash my hair before I go to the salon. I think its an extra 10 to wash. This is with a certified salon.

I now only go abt once a month IF I feel like getting a "style"

I always found salon serviices in the US to be overpriced IMO

ETA: your hair is pretty OP :yep:

Me too, I'm in Brazil and the only thing that's overpriced here is weaving/any permanent extensions, I think. No less than $300 anywhere. I know there's more expensive ones in US too, but I've seen for as low as $50-$80. Wash/DC/press is around $25 average. Also human hair was extremelly expensive until some started to import and sell on our "ebay" thingy, in salons the price is impossible. :drunk:

nappystorm

I only go to salons for individual braids. They are $200 a pop. It kills me to pay it, but getting in and out with little drama and having a cute, protective style that lasts months is worth it.

zzirvingj

I guess guys the reason I feel like I'm overpaying is because:

Imagine its summer. And humid. Or raining. Or just a hot day. Or I worked out. Or whatever reason....I get my hair washed/pressed/steamed/trimmed and if they curl it: The curls last about 10 minutes tops. The press really only looks really good for 4-7 days tops in 'most' of the scenarios above.

I don't really feel like in most cases I'm overpaying for a trim or a cut. Or perhaps even whatever the wash part costs. I think it's in the pressing/styling because it doesn't seem to last long for me relative to what I'm paying for it. Can anybody else relate?

Maybe I need to learn to do better at making my styles last. Or perhaps it really just comes with the territory of having natural hair.

zzirvingj

I only go to salons for individual braids. They are $200 a pop. It kills me to pay it, but getting in and out with little drama and having a cute, protective style that lasts months is worth it.

^Yep, I remember those days! :yep:

Individuals *ruined* my ability to be patient! lol :look: I simply CANNOT do salon services that last over 2-3 hours anymore. And to think I used to sit in a chair getting braids done for like 8 hours :blush:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I hear you zzirvingj. That's why I decreased my visits. Its not economical to get hair "done" then workout or walk out an sweat it out. For me it came down to hair style selection. I straighten my own hair so I don't feel bad if I sweat it out. But as a natural, I can do curly and go which looks nice as well. So 95%of time, it's curly. That works for me.

nappystorm

^Yep, I remember those days! :yep:

Individuals *ruined* my ability to be patient! lol :look: I simply CANNOT do salon services that last over 2-3 hours anymore. And to think I used to sit in a chair getting braids done for like 8 hours :blush:
When I lived in Atlanta, I went to Express Hair Braiding on Thorton Road. They would have 4 ladies on my hair. It only took 2 or 3 hours. :yep:

African shops ruined me as well. I'm sure there are others who can do my hair much cheaper. However, not having to buy my own hair, chase down Shaniqua in the hood, sit on a dirty floor with chillens crawling all over me, and waking up at the crack of dawn only to have to come back the next day made the price well worth it. I just walk in, tell them what I want, and walk out hours later with a smile.:yep:

zzirvingj

When I lived in Atlanta, I went to Express Hair Braiding on Thorton Road. They would have 4 ladies on my hair. It only took 2 or 3 hours. :yep:

African shops ruined me as well. I'm sure there are others who can do my hair much cheaper. However, not having to buy my own hair, chase down Shaniqua in the hood, sit on a dirty floor with chillens crawling all over me, and waking up at the crack of dawn only to have to come back the next day made the price well worth it. I just walk in, tell them what I want, and walk out hours later with a smile.:yep:

^Ah, I used to live off Thornton Road wayyyy back in the day lol Never been there, though.

nappystorm

I guess guys the reason I feel like I'm overpaying is because:

Imagine its summer. And humid. Or raining. Or just a hot day. Or I worked out. Or whatever reason....I get my hair washed/pressed/steamed/trimmed and if they curl it: The curls last about 10 minutes tops. The press really only looks really good for 4-7 days tops in 'most' of the scenarios above.

I don't really feel like in most cases I'm overpaying for a trim or a cut. Or perhaps even whatever the wash part costs. I think it's in the pressing/styling because it doesn't seem to last long for me relative to what I'm paying for it. Can anybody else relate?

Maybe I need to learn to do better at making my styles last. Or perhaps it really just comes with the territory of having natural hair.

I can relate but I don't even bother with straight styles in the summer anymore. My hair just points and :lol: if I even try. Mine will start expanding in the shop!

Detroit2Dallas

Its just like clothing, people buy expensive bags and clothes because they are paying for the quality and the name association. Clients are used to quality, want the finished product, service,and comfort that comes with work done in XYZ shop and have the means to pay. As a lot of you guys said, it takes money to make money ie booth fees, products, time and work etc