How did DH/SO react to your BC?

LadyPaniolo

My DH had been sweating me to go natural for political reasons for YEARS. I was like... uh... I have no clue how to care for natural hair... and I don't have time to be detangling all the time. Eventually I came to agree with him though.

I had BC'd before, but wore braids/wigs so he didn't SEE how short and nappy it was. So when I BC'd a year ago and began to rock the TWA, it was a shock. I didn't do any styles, really, just the afro, for a whole year. (I just passed my first nappiversary!) He was supportive, but SO NOT FEELING IT.

This weekend I was preparing my hair for C&G braids, and he saw how long my hair has gotten. It's about 8 inches long, and this is after a cut a few months ago. He was amazed and so happy I went natural.

How did your DH/SO feel about the BC, and when did he come around (if he objected)?

Syrah

My DH had been sweating me to go natural for political reasons for YEARS. I was like... uh... I have no clue how to care for natural hair... and I don't have time to be detangling all the time. Eventually I came to agree with him though.

I had BC'd before, but wore braids/wigs so he didn't SEE how short and nappy it was. So when I BC'd a year ago and began to rock the TWA, it was a shock. I didn't do any styles, really, just the afro, for a whole year. (I just passed my first nappiversary!) He was supportive, but SO NOT FEELING IT.

This weekend I was preparing my hair for C&G braids, and he saw how long my hair has gotten. It's about 8 inches long, and this is after a cut a few months ago. He was amazed and so happy I went natural.

How did your DH/SO feel about the BC, and when did he come around (if he objected)?

He said "Wow, you're face is round"...

...then he winked, gave me a "noogie" (fist grind to the forehead - which promptly messed up my do)...

then he said he liked it and we went and got some tacos, cuz I was hungry.

:)

DeepBluSea

DH was ok while I was transitioning, but not so happy when I actually did the BC. I guess he didn't think I would actually do it. I got offers to pay for relaxers etc. He has come around now (5 months later) and likes to touch my fro and twists. And when he saw that my bald spot had actually filled in, he was more understanding. "Like wow, you were right." :rolleyes:

For him, it is the short hair thing. Lots of men don't consider short hair feminine enough.

Last edited:

DSP

DH was so tired of my relaxer dramas/breakage dramas/salon dramas he was relieved when I decided to go natural. He loved how soft and touchable my hair is, but even more so, he was glad we weren't paying other people to jack my hair up and make me cry anymore.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I BCed in 2004. It was the second time I had cut my hair during our marriage (the first was Halle). He still is afraid to like my longer hair because he is scared he'll come home and it will all be gone.:ohwell:

LadyPaniolo

DH was ok while I was transitioning, but not so happy when I actually did the BC. I guess he didn't think I would actually do it. I got offers to pay for relaxers etc. He has come around now (5 months later) and likes to touch my fro and twists. And when he saw that my bald spot had actually filled in, he was more understanding. "Like wow, you were right." :rolleyes:

For him, it is the short hair thing. Lots of men don't consider short hair feminine enough.

That was the issue for DH too. He said "but now your hair is shorter than MINE." proly 50x.

I think he felt tricked cuz at first I thought I'd do braids for a year and cut off an inch of relaxed hair at a time until my natural hair was a decent length. BUT dealing with that line of demarcation and the tangling was TOO much for me and I just lopped it all off. It was like 1 inch stretched!

Hair Iam

DH was so tired of my relaxer dramas/breakage dramas/salon dramas he was relieved when I decided to go natural. He loved how soft and touchable my hair is, but even more so, he was glad we weren't paying other people to jack my hair up and make me cry anymore.
:lachen::lachen:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Caught a woman with the oil lllllol.

She broke her neck to run me down on the ship. I pointed her to etsy but she wanted my number.

Sorry , ny dear. Unless I’m 55 and you’re a sugar momma about to buy me some real estate in my name only I shall stick to the men lololol