How do you choose your relaxers

beana

I must be a complete goofball because i have a whole "process" for scouting out relaxers.. first i narrow my list down to 2 or 3, then i call the company to find out the ph level (this is the HARDEST part, still waiting on my call from ORS to let me know the ph of the lye normal. BUt DE gave me an instant answer :))
Then, i look at the board to see who is using this relaxer and at what strength... I'm a 4a, who wants to be relaxed straight w/ slight texture, so i look for responses from 4a ladies who relax their hair to a similiar straightness.

I HATE doing this becaus eits a lot of work, but its important and necessary. I would say the most important component is ph level, then availability then price.

Daisimae

When I get my hair relaxed, I usually just go with what my stylist uses, without comment. Lately, I've been having someone put my relaxers in at home. Up until now, I have just brought whatever was on sale. This time will be my first relaxer since finding the boards. I choose Profectiv, mostly because of the reviews on this board, the $3.99 cost of the TU kit didn't hurt either. If I works well, I'm planning to use it for my next two touch-ups after this one.

I'm hoping to go back to my stylist for TU's and color by the end of the year. She uses Mizani. I read here that Mizani has ceramides. I think that is one of the reasons my hair thrived when I was was going to her regularly. If I don't go back to my stylist, I may try to do Mizani at home.

Lexxx

Pixel Lady said:
I know I'm going out on a limb but here goes...Most relaxers are about the same, yes I know there are exceptions to the rule. I am a firm believer that once you find a relaxer that works for your hair the most important thing is the way your hair is maintained. You could have the "best" relaxer in the world but IF you are not maintaining your hair properly it won't matter your hair WILL be damaged and break at some point...or you can use the "worst" relaxer BUT you timed, rinsed out properly, maintain the proper PH level, moisture/protein balance etc...the hair is MUCH more likely to thrive....
QUOTE]

I have to agree with this too,
I use Revlon, because it i the cheapest :-/

i find the relaxer makes no difference. Its the stuff afterwards thats the key :)

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Whatever I choose has to be lye and after that I read reviews from the board. Thats why I chose SE. I was told it was comparable to Affirm, which my beautician used to relax me with.

Empress Yahudah

Hey Gym I made my choice by what my hair idols used and how it works for thier hair and narrowed it down to availabilty..i figured if i admire and want my hair to be like thiers one day then thats what ill try...It worked for me :)

lisana

I chose my ORS based on what was said on this board. so many of you are in love witht ORS relaxer that I decided to try it and love it, of course.

sexyeyes3616

No-lye relaxers are more gentle on the scalp. But, the FDA (Food & Drug Administration) has received complaints of scalp irritation from no-lye relaxers.Many people have reported no-lye relaxers leave their hair more dull and have gone back to lye relaxers. So i go for lye relaxers.