How do you clarify with ACV?

Luvmylife

What's the best way to use ACV as a clarifier?

Mix it in with your shampoo? (How much?)

Use it as a rinse with water? (How much ACV/water?)

...or do you have another method of using ACV in your hair?

...because I have a big ol' bottle of Bragg's that I was trying to use for health reasons...not happening, it's sooo nasty!

Of course I don't want to be wasteful, so I've decided to pour it in my hair:lol:

TIA!

bgsix

I just did this last night. That was my 3rd time doing it and I absolutely :love:
the way it makes my hair easier to comb through.

I mix 1/8 cup with 32 oz of water. HTH

Luvmylife

Thanks so much for the replies...I've seen people using ACV about 10 different ways and was wondering what the "board concensus" on the matter was...lol

:bump: keep 'em coming ladies!

scorpian

After shampooing I mix 1 tablespoon of ACV to 2 cups of warm water and pour it over my hair and rinse well before conditioning . You can do this weekly or biweekly.

hothair

Once a week I mix a capful with a tablespoon of Aveda DR shampoo and dilute in an application bottle blissful stressless hair :grin:

PS: This stuff is amazing on the skin, I apply it with a cotton pad to my face and leave over night or for at least 10 mins then wash. It shrinks my pores like no man's business, clears any spots and gives a nice glow and its so cheap! Need to get another one with my big mouth mentioned to the girls in the house and now its almost gone!

Luvmylife

After shampooing I mix 1 tablespoon of ACV to 2 cups of warm water and pour it over my hair and rinse well before conditioning . You can do this weekly or biweekly.

Thanks so much, Scorpian! You just answered my next question. I should rinse the ACV and water mixture out before proceeding to conditioning?

I've read that some people leave the ACV in their hair...I wonder what is benefit from that? Hmmmm:scratchch

scorpian

Thanks so much, Scorpian! You just answered my next question. I should rinse the ACV and water mixture out before proceeding to conditioning?

I've read that some people leave the ACV in their hair...I wonder what is benefit from that? Hmmmm:scratchch

Your welcome..yes, some people use the ACV as the final rinse and leave it in...that doesn't work out well for me...You have to experiment to see what works best for your hair :yep:

Neroli

I've tried many different ways but have settle on applying to freshly wash hair. Squeeze hair dry after final condish, apply ACV and leave-in (do not rinse!). Proceed with creamy leave-in and oils.

For uniformity, I do a mix that is 4.5 pH. I use litmus strips to test and it comes to approximately 1 part ACV to 3 parts distilled water (but this will depend on the ACV used and even type of water used).

I'm not sure if this clarifies, but it closes cuticles and leaves my hair smooth and silky. . . :yep:

Last edited:

Luvmylife

Once a week I mix a capful with a tablespoon of Aveda DR shampoo and dilute in an application bottle blissful stressless hair :grin:

PS: This stuff is amazing on the skin, I apply it with a cotton pad to my face and leave over night or for at least 10 mins then wash. It shrinks my pores like no man's business, clears any spots and gives a nice glow and its so cheap! Need to get another one with my big mouth mentioned to the girls in the house and now its almost gone!

Really? Thanks for the advice...I messed around and bought the big bottle so the more uses the better!

cocoberry10

Wow! Thanks for the tip. And it only costs like $1.99 at Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s!

SouthernTease

I swear by ACV rinses and I am anti-shampooo...
I use ½ cup unfiltered ACV and 1 quart of water and sometimes I add honey.
I pour it over my wet hair in the shower and I leave this mix in for 5 minutes under a plastic cap while I shave or whatever and then rinse it out and detangle under showerhead. It's like magic for me.

Luvmylife

:update:

:nono:I don't think ACV is for me...or maybe I did it wrong. I washed with my normal shampoo and rinsed my hair with 1/3 cup of ACV diluted in 1 quart of water, then deep conditioned as usual.

MY HAIR IS A MESS!!!:wallbash:

At first it felt soft, but when it came time to detangle...oh boy! My hair was nearly impossible to get through...almost matted near the roots:angry2: It wound up taking over a half an hour to detangle (I can usually detangle my hair in 5 minutes) I lost too much hair. When it dried it felt even worse! Stupidly, I flat ironed and curled it on magnetic rollers overnight :cry: my hair was stiff, tangled, knotted to high hell and wouldn't hold a curl!

...and of course I would try something new when I had a bunch of stuff to do this weekend...and my hair showed out the whole time:ohwell:

I just had DH help me re-wash it last night and back into a bun it goes:rolleyes:

Naw, no more ACV for me...I'll just use it in a salad or something...

Thanks for the advice anyway ladies!

Neroli

I leave my in. But then, I test my solution with litmus strips to make sure it's .4.5 -5.0 pH. When I first did ACV, it dried out my hair because pH was too high. I solved the problem by testing before using. . .

LovelyLionessa

:update:

:nono:I don't think ACV is for me...or maybe I did it wrong. I washed with my normal shampoo and rinsed my hair with 1/3 cup of ACV diluted in 1 quart of water, then deep conditioned as usual.

MY HAIR IS A MESS!!!:wallbash:

At first it felt soft, but when it came time to detangle...oh boy! My hair was nearly impossible to get through...almost matted near the roots:angry2: It wound up taking over a half an hour to detangle (I can usually detangle my hair in 5 minutes) I lost too much hair. When it dried it felt even worse! Stupidly, I flat ironed and curled it on magnetic rollers overnight :cry: my hair was stiff, tangled, knotted to high hell and wouldn't hold a curl!

...and of course I would try something new when I had a bunch of stuff to do this weekend...and my hair showed out the whole time:ohwell:

I just had DH help me re-wash it last night and back into a bun it goes:rolleyes:

Naw, no more ACV for me...I'll just use it in a salad or something...

Thanks for the advice anyway ladies!

Sorry it didn't work for you, my hair didn't like it either. :nono: At first it left my hair feelign nice and smooth but then I got terrible brittleness from it.

Now I just drink mine as a weight loss tonic.

Luvmylife

Sorry it didn't work for you, my hair didn't like it either. :nono: At first it left my hair feelign nice and smooth but then I got terrible brittleness from it.

Now I just drink mine as a weight loss tonic.

I tried that, but it's too gross fror me to get down. How are you taking it?

Healthb4Length

I mix 2oz of ACV + 4oz of rose water and dilute it with water. I love the softening effect I get when I do this and the rose water makes it smell heavenly!

KAT25

Girl are you serious??? Going to put some on now!!!!! Thanks for the tip