How do you prefer worship to be?

melodee

Do you prefer your service to have mostly upbeat, loud, happy praise music or more subdued, meaningful hymns? Or both?

MomofThreeBoys

Both. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a more mediatative service , other times I'm in the mood for a lot of Hallelujahs and hand clamping:clap:. I can't imagine going to a church that only had one style. That's why I couldn't tolerate my parents old church. People looked at you funny if you clapped!

melodee

Well, there are some people in my church who are not liking the gospel type upbeat music and the Praise and Worship contemporary style. They think it is unbiblical. I think variety is wonderful, but it is impeding others.

webby

Think Slim
melodee said:
Well, there are some people in my church who are not liking the gospel type upbeat music and the Praise and Worship contemporary style. They think it is unbiblical. I think variety is wonderful, but it is impeding others.
This is an interesting thread, because my mother and I were just discussing this. One church we both attended had a very lively praise service. You could FEEL it in your soul. Now, another church that she attended and I only visited with her, said that "shouting and screaming all over the place is not Godly..."

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Both. :clap: Before every service, we have a praise and worship team that does a little bit of ol' southern gospel songs to modern. Anyway you sing it, as long as it's a joyful noise. :woot:

MissMarie23

I prefer things to be more subdued. My church at home has gotten quite upbeat and 'loud' and I don't feel as comfortable there as I did before the changes.

good2uuuu

I like a good mix of both. I just really prefer that the song before the sermon be prayerful and meditative, as it prepares the mind and heart to receive to Word.

sithembile

I like both styles, I like the variety. The only thing is not to get distracted by the music, the real purpose of it is to worship Him, sometimes we are not entertained but He receives the worship with pleasure, and vice versa.

Sweet C

sithembile said:
I like both styles, I like the variety. The only thing is not to get distracted by the music, the real purpose of it is to worship Him, sometimes we are not entertained but He receives the worship with pleasure, and vice versa.

This is so true! Oftentimes we do get caught up in being entertained that if the choir was a little off key, we are looking like:whyme: and waiting for them to sit down instead of just worshipping God b/c of who he is.

dreamgurl

I like making a joyful noise unto the Lord praising and worshipping Him, singing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs.

I have however heard several comments from those who are used to a more subdued worship service and have gotten a bit irritated by the fast, hand-clapping, foot stomping type of worship that they say has creeped up in some Churches. They feel the Church has become like that of the world with some of the music styles.

Me personally, I have to be able to hear the words to the song and make sure the words are indeed scriptural.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
Sweet C said:
This is so true! Oftentimes we do get caught up in being entertained that if the choir was a little off key, we are looking like:whyme: and waiting for them to sit down instead of just worshipping God b/c of who he is.

:rofl::rofl: sighhhh, So sad but true. :nono:

melodee

Or it can turn into a season of American idol if we're are not careful. We have some divas in our church.

But if there are some folks complaining in a church about the style of music, should the music be toned down? Or should majority rule?

webby

Think Slim
melodee said:
Or it can turn into a season of American idol if we're are not careful. We have some divas in our church.
I think that is always a possibility, especially in a church that is noted for it's choir. I went to a music conservatory with a guy who was the minister of music at my mom's current church. The choir had a reputation for being one of the best, put on a "great show", but behind the scenes there were more cat-fights than an alley full of strays in heat.

melodee said:
But if there are some folks complaining in a church about the style of music, should the music be toned down? Or should majority rule?
I think that each church is has a specific audience type. I personally love a church that gets the crowd moving, but not at the price of the message and the true intent, which is to worship.

Now, the last church that I was actually a member of had a decent choir, but EVERYTHING was on a time table: devotion started at exactly 9am, offering was collected at exactly 10:30am, closings started at exactly 2pm. It seemed that the Spirit was always stiffled.

I say all of this to point out that some churchs have a certain feel and ambiance and if the congregation, overall, isn't pleased...then maybe a meeting should be called, but if it's just one or two people...then perhaps they can find a church that gives them what they are seeking.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
Poohbear said:
Does not matter to me... as long as the presence of the Lord is in the church! :yep:

I agree. :up:

When we're led by His Spirit (and not our flesh), worship service is awesome. We leave church with songs in our hearts that continually minister to us, in good and bad times. If people manipulate the music during worship service, they become their own object of worship because their personal preferences are put ahead of God's will for that service.

A country gospel singer visited our church once and ministered in song. It wasn't my "flava" (I like contemporary gospel music), and I wasn't into it at first. A few people gave him the crazy look. The older folks were singing and worshipping along with him though. I had to renew my mind and realize that it wasn't about me. Just because his song wasn't a preference of mine didn't mean that others weren't blessed by it. I also remembered David's wife, Michal. Since David's worship style fell below her royal standards, God was the final judge, and she had no children. (I had to check myself. :eek: )

Another time our worship leader told the team she was led to sing only slow songs for praise and worship. While we sang, some in the congregation gave us the dummy look because it wasn't the customary fast-slow-fast routine they expected...like God can only move when we bust a move. :lol:

Last edited:

NewlyNature12

I grew up in a very lively church, but now that I'm away from home I actually prefer a quieter form of worship. I've found that too much liveliness is distracting for me; I find myself thinking about other things.

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
I like regal like praise and worship songs. The ones that the lyrics focus on how powerful and royal God is. I like worship songs that I feel like I can communicate with Him. It's something about them that just makes me want to cry out. I grew up in a church that sung slave like congregational hymns and that always depressed me. I though I was weird until I heard others things.

Last edited:

ThickHair

I like the praise and worship, but some groups don't know when to say amen and be done. I went to visit this one church and the praise and worship at the beginning when on for 55 minutes. I didn't go back.

EbonyEyes

I like them both for praising and worshiping God. Sometimes I like to dance, stomp my feet, and clap my hands. If David could praise God through dancing then so can I! :)

But then there are times when I just like to close my eyes and sing slow love songs to God.

-Ebony