Ask a Christian Musician! Musicians please enter!

Angelicus

Hey all,

If you have any questions that are Christian (praise & worship) Musician related, feel free to post them here and I will do my best to answer them. Anything is fair game.

Or if you have heard Frequently Asked Personal Questions concerning praise and worship and feel that you have a good answer for them, please post.

Examples:

1. Why does my praise and worship leader always use the same singers as lead?

2. How should praise and worship service be?

3. What are the chords to: _____________ ?

4. What if I am not a good lead singer?

saved06

Did you learn how to sight read or just learn by ear?

How do you bring up to someone that you want to get paid for playing? Even the bible says to compensate musicians. I just don't want to be taking advantage of. Thanks

Last edited:

Angelicus

Did you learn how to sight read or just learn by ear?

How do you bring up to someone that you want to get paid for playing? Even the bible says to compensate musicians. I just don't want to be taking advantage of. Thanks
To answer your first question, you can say that I have done both (ear and reading). I started playing simple tunes that I heard by ear on the organ. I started learning how to read flute sheet music in second grade, but I had always wanted to learn how to play piano. By college, I was able to play the piano well enough to teach parts.

Your second question requires pastors to understand the power of the Book of Chronicles. In biblical times, musicians were in the same ranks as priests (a lot of pastors don't know that but I won't get into their lack of knowledge). Musicians wore the best clothes during that time (fine linens), and practiced from sun up to sun down.

I would challenge anyone that wants to make music a career to stop diluting your efforts. Hey, you might even have to quit your job to do what you love (music). Prove that you are a professional, Christian musician. Ask your pastor if you can teach classes on the book of Chronicles, praise, and worship. Start doing gigs for free for 3 months and see what your pastor says.

And yes, musicians should be on payroll. :yep:

saved06

To answer your first question, you can say that I have done both (ear and reading). I started playing simple tunes that I heard by ear on the organ. I started learning how to read flute sheet music in second grade, but I had always wanted to learn how to play piano. By college, I was able to play the piano well enough to teach parts.

Your second question requires pastors to understand the power of the Book of Chronicles. In biblical times, musicians were in the same ranks as priests (a lot of pastors don't know that but I won't get into their lack of knowledge). Musicians wore the best clothes during that time (fine linens), and practiced from sun up to sun down.

I would challenge anyone that wants to make music a career to stop diluting your efforts. Hey, you might even have to quit your job to do what you love (music). Prove that you are a professional, Christian musician. Ask your pastor if you can teach classes on the book of Chronicles, praise, and worship. Start doing gigs for free for 3 months and see what your pastor says.

And yes, musicians should be on payroll. :yep:

Thanks I will def. check out Chronicles tonight

TrustMeLove

I have never understood how Pastors, Bishops, Ministers receive a gift...The drummer receives a gift...the pianist receives a gift...Everyone receives a gift EXCEPT the singers.

That confuses me...Why is this the case?

Singing takes work. Multiple rehearsals. Practicing when you aren't at church. Buying CD's. Sheet music if you can't find it online. Etc...studying too..seeking God's face about what to sing etc... But, it's like the Praise and Worship team is excluded.

Honestly, we don't want any money. :nono: That's not even our concern. We love to sing and lead worship...But, why do other people receive money? I just dont' understand it....We are all muscians...some of us use or voices others play an instrument. So why are some given a gift and others aren't.

I just want to state..that we don't want money...well the folks I sing with at church. That's not even what we are about. I wouldn't even accept it unless they were paying for CD's...lol That would be great.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I have never understood how Pastors, Bishops, Ministers receive a gift...The drummer receives a gift...the pianist receives a gift...Everyone receives a gift EXCEPT the singers.

That confuses me...Why is this the case?

Singing takes work. Multiple rehearsals. Practicing when you aren't at church. Buying CD's. Sheet music if you can't find it online. Etc...studying too..seeking God's face about what to sing etc... But, it's like the Praise and Worship team is excluded.

Honestly, we don't want any money. :nono: That's not even our concern. We love to sing and lead worship...But, why do other people receive money? I just dont' understand it....We are all muscians...some of us use or voices others play an instrument. So why are some given a gift and others aren't.

I just want to state..that we don't want money...well the folks I sing with at church. That's not even what we are about. I wouldn't even accept it unless they were paying for CD's...lol That would be great.

Budget...

There's just not enough money to cover everyone. Also, I've known of Ministries where the choir/praise worship team members pay/contribute towards their robes/gowns.

Budget...the ability to maintain it for everyone.

TrustMeLove

Budget...

There's just not enough money to cover everyone. Also, I've known of Ministries where the choir/praise worship team members pay/contribute towards their robes/gowns.

Budget...the ability to maintain it for everyone.

Hola Shimmie,

I believe that might be the case in some churches, but that is definitely not the case for many of the worship leaders I know. Especially, on good friends church. These women are sooo talented. They actually sing backup for many of the gospel award shows. They are recording their own music. They sang/sing backup for a well known artist.

Their church is BIG has many many members...has lots of outreach programs etc...

They don't get a dime. When they asked to use the church to support their first recording effort..singing Christian Music...they church actually was going to charge them like they were outsiders. They have been members and servants for about 10 years. Since they were in college. :nono:

Budget isn't the case in many many many instances. I just used theirs as 1 example. It looks like folks think different gifts are worth more than others.

I've been to a church good playing bad singing...:nono: I can still worship...but it's good to have good playing and good singing...:yep:

My friend plays keys for their church too..and He gets PAID! PAID! Like $400 or something every Sunday.

Something is amiss.

Shimmie

Staff member
Hola Shimmie,

I believe that might be the case in some churches, but that is definitely not the case for many of the worship leaders I know. Especially, on good friends church. These women are sooo talented. They actually sing backup for many of the gospel award shows. They are recording their own music. They sang/sing backup for a well known artist.

Their church is BIG has many many members...has lots of outreach programs etc...

They don't get a dime. When they asked to use the church to support their first recording effort..singing Christian Music...they church actually was going to charge them like they were outsiders. They have been members and servants for about 10 years. Since they were in college. :nono:

Budget isn't the case in many many many instances. I just used theirs as 1 example. It looks like folks think different gifts are worth more than others.

I've been to a church good playing bad singing...:nono: I can still worship...but it's good to have good playing and good singing...:yep:

My friend plays keys for their church too..and He gets PAID! PAID! Like $400 or something every Sunday.

Something is amiss.

Hey Gifted One... :love2:

Has anyone addressed this issue with the Church? I ask this for several reasons:

* To keep 'bitterness and resentment' (the spirit of Cain and the spirit of the Prodical son's brother) at bay.

* To keep backbiting at bay.

* To have an 'understanding' rather than an assumption or that nagging thorn in the flesh, wondering why.

* To make a decision to continue on 'without pay' and allow God to bless them for their gifts unto Him or to seek to Minister where they will be compensated financially.

* To keep satan from using this to 'stifle'/kill the Message of the Gospel, and the Love of Jesus Christ.

* For what's even in the heart of a Psalmist / Minister of Song will flow even more through their music; for from the abundance of the heart it will eventually flow.

I've been through this very same thing and it's not pretty at all. :nono:

There's comes a point in time, to not only wish to know why, but to 'ask, seek' and 'knock' upon the doors of those who make these decisions of whom to pay or not to pay. You (not 'You, TML", but 'general usuage of the term 'you') are not slaves, but Ministers and as Ministers, our Spiritual Vessels deserve to be free from the bondage of "why not me' and from Church, Musical Ministers who hold in bondage those who are worthy of their 'hire'. I do know that this happens.

People have to make it clear what their expectations are to the Ministry leaders and if they don't agree with the program, SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures) then move on, otherwise their gifts will be stifled by oughts, iz'ism's and skiz' ims.

There are many, many 'works' that I and so many, many others have given to the 'Church' and have never been offered a 'dime', yet others have for the very same thing, and I knew my gift to be of better value, yet...God always blessed and favored me all the more; more with things that money being paid to others could never buy.

Whoever finds themselves in this position of not being financially compensated while others are, they need to speak to those in charge of making that decision and then decide whether to stay or to move on. So sense staying where one is not treated the way one feels they should be.

Why sit or 'sing' we here, till we die?

:bighug:

Last edited:

TrustMeLove

Hey Gifted One... :love2:

Has anyone addressed this issue with the Church? I ask this for several reasons:

To keep 'bitterness and resentment' (the spirit of Cain and the spirit of the Prodical son's brother) at bay.

To keep backbiting at bay.

To have an 'understanding' rather than an assumption or that nagging thorn in the flesh, wondering why.

To make a decision to continue on 'without pay' and allow God to bless them for their gifts unto Him or to seek to Minister where they will be compensated financially.

To keep satan from using this to 'stifle'/kill the Message of the Gospel, and the Love of Jesus Christ.

For what's even in the heart of a Psalmist / Minister of Song will flow even more through their music; for from the abundance of the heart it will eventually flow.

I've been through this very same thing and it's not pretty at all. :nono:

There's comes a point in time, to not only wish to know why, but to 'ask, seek' and 'knock' upon the doors of those who make these decisions of whom to pay or not to pay. You (not 'You, TML", but 'general usuage of the term 'you') are not slaves, but Ministers and as Ministers, our Spiritual Vessels deserve to be free from the bondage of "why not me' and Church, Musical Ministers who hold in bondage those who are worthy of their 'hire'.

People have to make it clear what their expectations are to the Ministry leaders and if they don't agree with the program, SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures) then move on, otherwise their gifts will be stifled by oughts, iz'ism's and skiz' ims.

There are many, many 'works' that I and so many, many others have given to the 'Church' and have never been offered a 'dime', yet others have for the very same thing, and I knew my gift to be of better value, yet...God always blessed and favored me all the more; more with things that money being paid to others could never buy.

Whoever finds themselves in this position of not being financially compensated while others are, they need to speak to those in charge of making that decision and then decide whether to stay or to move on. So sense staying where one is not treated the way one feels they should be.

:bighug:

I agree with everything you said. Thankfully, none of the people I know that are in ministry feel anyway cheated or desire pay. Everyone does it because of their love of God and really see it as a PRIVILEGE and are so HONORED that God would use them in such a capacity.

I think I and maybe a few other friends around my age ...really question alot of the things that happen. Are some things just church tradition, church politics, or biblical?

We see a lot of church politics and traditions in many things so we are always seeking why? Sadly a lot of the people we grew up with in church just got sick of the politics or funny money things and just moved on. Some of us have stuck it out in hopes to change things. New leaders must rise up from some where...:yep:

I guess this is a question we want answered, but aren't sure how to go about doing that...that's why I jumped at the chance to ask Angel.

This is something that I see all over. I guess I will ask some of the ministers I know at different sister churches.

Shimmie

Staff member
I agree with everything you said. Thankfully, none of the people I know that are in ministry feel anyway cheated or desire pay. Everyone does it because of their love of God and really see it as a PRIVILEGE and are so HONORED that God would use them in such a capacity.

I think I and maybe a few other friends around my age ...really question alot of the things that happen. Are some things just church tradition, church politics, or biblical?

We see a lot of church politics and traditions in many things so we are always seeking why? Sadly a lot of the people we grew up with in church just got sick of the politics or funny money things and just moved on. Some of us have stuck it out in hopes to change things. New leaders must rise up from some where...:yep:

I guess this is a question we want answered, but aren't sure how to go about doing that...that's why I jumped at the chance to ask Angel.

This is something that I see all over. I guess I will ask some of the ministers I know at different sister churches.

"Gifted One", I 'hear' you. :love2: We (you and I) are always 'here' in love. :love2:

I hope Angel can give some insight into this. :yep: I know 'others' who see this thread have the very same questions.

Angelicus

Thank you, Shimmie, for answering her questions while I was away from the thread.

Here are my two cents. If there was a discipleship class to get in music ministry, the church would be able to pay the musicians as full-time employees (Which is what they are supposed to do, according to the book of Second Chronicles).

Also, if pastors were informed about the power of music ministry, they would do everything that they could to weed out the non-Levites. Then, the "Levites" would be able to do their job of praising the Lord with music full-time, instead of juggling 4-5 music ministry gigs a week. Let's keep in mind that the musicians in biblical times were on the same level as priests. They were on the front lines of war, for goodness sake.

For the record, I consider vocalists "musicians" and do not denote a distinction.