Votes: 43 13.1%
  • Layers are nice but only if subtle/long

Votes: 85 25.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 17 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LivingDoll

I always thought layers were ideal for those with thin hair because it gives the appearance of volume?

I'm the queen of layers (as you can see in my avi). My hair holds shape well, so as it grows out..the layers are still hanging around. I actually love the body and volume that layers give me.

I think layer-less hair is boring.

Last edited:

Imani

I'm actually surprised at the poll results. I thought more people would hate layers.

I agree with some of the posts I've read. Although they get on my nerves sometimes, I think I would look boring/homely without them. and i think they will be really cute once all my hair gets longer. (whenever that finally happens:perplexed:look:)

I've seen plenty people IRL and on the boards with one length hair and it looks fantastic on them but don't think it would work for me.

Imani

Love/hate. I had a pixie style that was layered (razer cut) and growing my hair out has been trying.:nono: I recently had to do a mini chop due to the weirdness of my layers but now I love them! My hair would be a puffy shapeless mess without layers.

I really love your haircut. it looks stylish and healthy:yep:

KiniKakes

I voted love/hate. They can look AMAZING at best, esp. on women with fuller, thicker hair. On someone like me, with naturally thin/fine hair, i think they ONLY look good when ure hair is freshly washed/bouncy/clean. When i see layers on fine/thin hair that is oily/stringy, it just looks a hot mess. It makes the bottom half of the hair look that much thinner/stringier.

Ivonnovi

I have the same problem!!!! At this point I just go for a blunt cut, no curls! (My hair is no good at holding curls either)

Just curious. I think i have a love-hate relationship with my layers. When my hair is not styles it looks thin, short, and even damaged due to the uneveness. But when its curled/styled, it can look full and sexy. Also it seems like once u get them they are darn near impossible to grow out.

How do you feel?

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
I voted love/hate. They can look AMAZING at best, esp. on women with fuller, thicker hair. On someone like me, with naturally thin/fine hair, i think they ONLY look good when ure hair is freshly washed/bouncy/clean. When i see layers on fine/thin hair that is oily/stringy, it just looks a hot mess. It makes the bottom half of the hair look that much thinner/stringier.

Giiiiiiiiirlllll, you ain't never lied!! I'm in the fine hair club myself. When I got my hair cut in layers last September, it looked fantastic when it was first done. But now that it has grown out considerably, my ends look thin to me. I'm currently transitioning back to natural (one year post) and I plan to big chop this September (unless I chicken out). But I tell ya one thing, I'm not getting layers ever again.

tocktick

i hate to vote for i hate them. i truly detest them when it comes to my own hair. however, i do like the look of layers in long (straight) hair; breaks up the monotony and gives hair a more "natural" look.

2Cute!

I love layers, but like most have said, they only look good when your hair is curled. But in my experience, your hair doesn't have to have that much curl. A slight bend will still make your hair look pretty. I am actually thinking about cutting layers again because my hair has just gotten so boring!

Rezgirl

Layers are a good way to cheat...that is to say that cutting layers sometimes help you hide a "bad spot" without "losing length". For one reason or another, one side of my hair becomes more damaged with split ends than the other, so my stylist has cut layers into my hair at times to get rid of the bad parts without loping off all of my hair. Layers ARE frustrating when you want that straight look but I don't want my hair cut off up to my shoulders because of a bad patch.......:ohwell:

lovinmylocs

I hate layers on myself. It's a pain to grow out and I only love them for a minute. I hardly wore my hair out as a permie and I didn't think they were pretty on my me.

I love to see suble layers on others especially if they have beautiful long flowy hair. I don't like the chunky ones on anyone.

MissScarlett

This is the problem I have. I haven't had layers for awhile for this very reason. I prefer to have just all one length which is easier for me to curl, style, etc.

CenteredGirl

I don't like them at all. If I had my druthers, I would have hair all one length (working on this diligently).

For a layering effect I will add clip ins (highlighted of course) tee hee.

plastic

IA with blackbarbie , layers only look nice if you plan to wear your hair in curly styles... but when your hair is styles straight it can give the appearance of thinner hair ... but I love my layers !!

wheezy807

I voted not sure. They do look very beautiful but i've heard they are hell to grow out of. I've never had them before, but that alone makes me not ever want them.

taj

I prefer not having layer. If I did I'd prefer my hair to be longer (wl). I voted Layers are nice but only if subtle/long.

Last edited:

locabouthair

I think they can look beautiful and sexy but I heard that they cna also make your hair look thin depending on how it's styled. Lauren450 had layers before she BC and her hair looked great!:yep:

RosesBlack

I have accepted that my hair grows in layers and that's just it.

I think I will like them a bit more when my hair is a little longer and I figure out what to do with my hair aside from bunning.

_belle

I like layers once the hair is of a decent length. . . maybe I am retarded. . . but i HATE some of this like elongated BOWL cut some folks are going for. like bangs & like just straight hair to your butt? that is soooooo tired. Im sure imma get harpooned for this, but yeah, i just don't like a whole lot of hair just sitting there with no shape or anything. :lachen:

Anew

my layers were the reason for my cut to NL. I knew I'd want to grow them out but had her give me some anyway. STUPID! I was not even an inch away from full APL and she cut really short layers in my hair, the tail just looked really thin and it already grows in a V shape. I still have some but they're pretty much the length of all of my hair now.

Nella

It definitely took some time to even grow my layers out. At this time my hair is still layered but, it has gotten longer and thicker.

SilentRuby

I like layers once the hair is of a decent length. . . maybe I am retarded. . . but i HATE some of this like elongated BOWL cut some folks are going for. like bangs & like just straight hair to your butt? that is soooooo tired. Im sure imma get harpooned for this, but yeah, i just don't like a whole lot of hair just sitting there with no shape or anything. :lachen:

IA, which is why I bumped this thread. I like blunt hair but overall once I get to my ultimate goal. I would like to get long, subtle layers (like Lauren450's previous hair :grin:). However, I can't decide if I should do this now or wait (got a few wiry ends). I guess I'm finally getting the itch for change :rolleyes: I need to sit my tail down somewhere though :yep: