• "Sealer" for moisturizers

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • Oil for the scalp

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Oil Rinsing

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mix with conditioners, butters, etc

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • More than one of the above ( please specify)

Votes: 54 56.3%
  • Other ( please specify)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I don't use any oils

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

thinkpinkprincess

Hey y'all, I just wanted to find out exactly how you ladies use oils. I'm still experimenting with this, and I think my hair likes oils mixed in with butters and conditioners, but not necessarily hot oil treatments ( I have yet to try an "oil rinse" though... in fact, I'm not even sure what one is :ohwell:) anyway, how do you use oils in a way that adds softness and natural looking shine with out adding to much greasiness and weighing your hair down?

Lorraine S

I like to use my oils most of the ways you have listed. My favorite way is to seal in the moisture after using my Neutrogena silk touch leave-in. I also like to add it sometimes to my favorite conditioners. I'll use it to make pre-poo treatments. I love oils:grin:....Since using them, I've never looked back. They really keep my hair moisturized and condition.

justNikki

I voted more than one way....

I might use nothing but oil as a leave-in on soaking wet hair (coconut oil), but more often than not, I wet my hair daily, spritz in some oil, comb through and rinse it out (it leaves a light residue). Then I add a small amount of conditioner and sometimes a little light gel.

If I don't use oil, I definitely use a buttery product. I need something oily everyday.

Irresistible

I just pour them over my head and go 'ahhhhh' LOL

no really, I use them after a wash, rinse, on dry hair, on wet hair, with conditioner or without , I use them any way I feel like it at the time

But usually if you use them just after a wash/rinse alone overnight more will absorb because your not using anything else to make your hair reach 'saturation'

here was the first oil rinse thread here , done by 'me; pouring oil over my head and squeezing it out LOL, there have been many variations of it since, and even I would do it that way still at some point if I really wanted to for some reason or another, but instead I would rather choose a way to not waste so much oil, or use a very cheap one for this , but it did work like a charm!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=92036

Irresistible

I voted more than one way....

I might use nothing but oil as a leave-in on soaking wet hair (coconut oil), but more often than not, I wet my hair daily, spritz in some oil, comb through and rinse it out (it leaves a light residue). Then I add a small amount of conditioner and sometimes a little light gel.

If I don't use oil, I definitely use a buttery product. I need something oily everyday.

Me too! Anytime my hair hits water

RedVelvet310

I use it as a pre-poo hot oil treatment (Vatika hair oil) the night before I wash my hair which is every other day... then I use it to seal my soaking wet hair after I wash it (Castor Oil)... I bc-ed in January... my hair was.. honestly an inch with shrinkage.. probably 2inches straight (I need to upload pics) now 6 months later my hair can go into a pont tail (when straightened) WITH about 2-3inches of hair at the end I LOVE OIL!!!:grin:

Irresistible

I use it as a pre-poo hot oil treatment (Vatika hair oil) the night before I wash my hair which is every other day... then I use it to seal my soaking wet hair after I wash it (Castor Oil)... I bc-ed in January... my hair was.. honestly an inch with shrinkage.. probably 2inches straight (I need to upload pics) now 6 months later my hair can go into a pont tail (when straightened) WITH about 2-3inches of hair at the end I LOVE OIL!!!:grin:
i love oil soooo much!

RedVelvet310

i love oil soooo much!

You know I actually loved the Castor Oil so much I started using it on my skin after I took a shower and my skin is sooo soft.. my fam always makes fun of me cause I walk around the house looking greasy for the next 10min but once I'm ready to leave I just put a little bit of scented lotion on my arms so I won't smell like co and my skin has never felt better! I've only been doing this for like... 1-2 weeks and I'm lovinn it :yep:

Mortons

Oil rinsing before my cowash a few times a week

Mix with my DC and some cheapies to doctor them up

Oil my scalp/hair

MA2010

I use oil for scalp stimulation at night when I message. I also use castor oil to seal my ends after I moisturize!

Irresistible

You know I actually loved the Castor Oil so much I started using it on my skin after I took a shower and my skin is sooo soft.. my fam always makes fun of me cause I walk around the house looking greasy for the next 10min but once I'm ready to leave I just put a little bit of scented lotion on my arms so I won't smell like co and my skin has never felt better! I've only been doing this for like... 1-2 weeks and I'm lovinn it :yep:

yeah I have put oils/butters in my bath its the bomb!

lilsparkle825

still experimenting with this, and I think my hair likes oils mixed in with butters and conditioners, but not necessarily hot oil treatments ( I have yet to try an "oil rinse" though... in fact, I'm not even sure what one is :ohwell:)
ITA...i did a hot oil rinse and it was breakage city, but i add EVOO and africas best to my DCs all the time. i just did kenra mc + AB oil + castor oil on my mom and her hair is sooooo soft. i used to seal with it but not so much now since i usually do a WNG just loaded with conditioner...when i was transitioning i added castor oil to the moisturizer and my ends would always feel superb...i also add it to my MT to cut it.

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
Oil Pulling (does this count for hair? I started it last year after my relaxer and I had NG after three or four days!!!)
Add them to deep conditioners (a little bit of mixology)
Also just add after using my moisturizer.

A_Christian

I use oils every few days to add shine and every day a week before a touch up to protect my previously relaxed hair from the new relaxer application. If I'm really far into a stretch I'll use it before a wash to protect my hair from the sometimes drying effects of shampoos.

tocktick

after washing (used plain), in deep conditioning treatments & mixed in some conditioner (use after washing). i use castor oil and olive oil.

Mandy4610

Sorry OP, don't mean to hijack your thread, but what about Essential oils? How do you guys use them?

BTW: I use coconut oil for sealing and a mix of other oils for hot oil treatments and added to conditioner. I think my natural hair loves oils.

Menina Preta

I use mine to 'seal' in my leave-in conditioner on wet hair (Lisa's Hair Elixir by CD). I also use it to seal in my moisturizer on my damp or dry hair (Extra Virgin Coconut Oil). Sometimes, I may put some coco oil with rosemary oil on my scalp, but I've noticed that my scalp just likes to be left alone, so I do that very sparingly.

Oh, and I also 'seal'/add (more like 'seal' b/c I hate mixing things in a bowl to apply to my head) oil to my deep conditioner sometimes (usually coco oil or Jamaican Black Castor Oil). Sometimes, I seal my ends with JBCO too if I'm wearing a bun.

nichole21

I use oil in many ways (castor oil)... To seal my ends; as a leave in when air drying; I use tea tree oil as a antiseptic on my scalp; to smooth my hair and sometimes a touch in my deep conditioner.

wheezy807

I use oils as a sealant for moisturizers rarely. I mostly use them as a prepoo or sometimes i use a dab for shine (instead of one of my heavy moisturizers) when i'm wearing my freshly retouched hair out.

myronnie

This should be a multiple choice poll because i do almost all of them!:lachen:

How I use my oils:
* Mix with butters
* Seal
* mix with conditioners
* Apply to scalp
* Prepoo
* Mix with relaxers

Last edited:

MizaniLocs

I use oil as a pre-shampoo treatment.

I use it to seal in my daily moisturizer and along my hairline.

I use it to add to my deep conditioner.

For some reason I can't use it to seal in my leave-in. It makes my hair crunchy.:ohwell:

Solitude

I use oil at night for a scalp massage & lightly in the morning before I unwrap my hair & sometimes as a leave-in when I wash my hair myself. I love Doo Grow Anti-Itch and Growth Oils. They are inexpensive, they smell good, and they don't weigh my hair down. Now Jasmine Oil is wonderful- my fav brand is Oscar Blandi but it's too pricey.

mj11051

I use oils for oil rinsing
sealing
mix with my butters
infusing
prepoos
oiling scalp

And I love black castor oil

Angkin73

I use oils as a pre poo when I do ayurvedic powder rinses. (once a week).

I like to infuse my own ayurvedic oils, they seem to soften my hair the best.

Other than what I make I only use EVOO, or Wheat Germ oil.
I mix the two with butters. (I do want to try Hemp oil).

If I seal I use the butter/oil mix and then I might add a dime size amount of homemade ayurvedic oil to my hair after.

I have started using ORS Olive Oil moisturizing hair lotion. My hair seems to really like this when I do WNG's. I add after my leave in conditioner. I don't use much tho.

My hair really doesn't care for oil. It lays on my hair and leaves it very, very crunchy. Anything water based, my hair loves.

I don't care for EO's either, I usually like the natural scent of the butters better. Or add herb infused oil or water for scent.

JustKiya

For the longest time, I thought my hair HATED oil because it would get sooo crunchy every time I used it.

The last few weeks though, I've been experimenting with castor oil applied VERY lightly to my hair and ends, and it's making my hair lighter and looser - I'm really kinda hooked on it - esp. when I'm fingercombing my dry hair.

I also mix it into my MT mix. I haven't been putting it in conditioners - maybe I'll try that with the last of the jojoba oil I have. :yep:

My Indian friend has me sprung on hot oil treatments w/ coconut oil or almond oil or vatika oil or amla oil. Saturate, bun over night and then wash with shikaikai tea. Im loving this so far..... :yep: