• "Sealer" for moisturizers

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • Oil for the scalp

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Oil Rinsing

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mix with conditioners, butters, etc

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • More than one of the above ( please specify)

Votes: 54 56.3%
  • Other ( please specify)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I don't use any oils

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

thinkpinkprincess

I wanna try adding them to my prepoos, but I was afraid that I would lock out the mositure from my conditioner... can cocnut oil penetrate the hair shaft? :look:

Moisture2608

I have mixed oil with my conditioners, I use oils as a sealer for my moisturizers, and I definitely do hot oil treatment.

Great thread!

Simply_Kelz

I mix them with my DC's .. I add them to pre-poos if I decide to do one, I usually don't because I like to dry DC. And I use them to seal in moisture, usually when bunning or something.

Miss*Tress

I use oils as:
  • Hot oil treatments
  • Leave-ins
  • Conditioner enhancer
I'm going to try oil rinsing again to see if it will alleviate the dry, breakage-prone patch of hair at the back of my head.

Last edited:

Pheonixx

I like Jojoba, Avocado, coconut and sweet almond oil. I use them:
-in my conditoners
-as a Leave-in
-I put them on my hair before my braid-outs. Avocado's also pretty good on the face.

...also I did an oil rinse with AMLA oil and I liked it. Amla is good I just don't care for the smell at all..

Sorry OP, don't mean to hijack your thread, but what about Essential oils? How do you guys use them?

[BTW: I use coconut oil for sealing and a mix of other oils for hot oil treatments and added to conditioner. I think my natural hair loves oils.

I mix essential oils into everything. They seem entirely to too concentrated to be used by themselves. For example tea tree oil is very sticky. It has to be mixed.
-rosemary and peppermint stimulate the scalp. So they're really good for cowashing. Makes the scalp tingle.
-you can add rosemary or peppermint to shampoos
-Conditioners
-hair masks
-leave-in treatments

My leave-in/daily spritz consists of:
Elucence MB,
Water.
Sweet almond oil (to soften)
Avocado oil
A few drops of rosemary

This could prove useful to you. It discusses oils, essential oils, how you'd go about mixing them and the various uses for essential and carrier oils.
http://www.essentialoils.co.za/essential-oils/index.htm
This is a quick reference for oils and their uses all on one page
http://www.shescentit.com/ingredients.html
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited:

LongCurlyLocks

I use oils for my scalp mostly right now. I will probably mix my oils with my MT when it comes. I have bought the Doo Gro oils and BB Growth Oil as well as getting herbs (nettle, rosemary, lavendar) and infusing with olive oil for an essential oil mix. I then mix that with coconut and regular olive oil. My hair likes it so far-more moisture and my scalp feels a lot better. Have to be careful as I'm heavy with products thanks to my granny. Have to make sure I'm not dripping like a jheri curl reject when I leave the house!!!:lachen::lachen:

Plus, I love the smell!

Evazhair

My hair loves oils. I use them in prepoos, dcs, to seal.

I love olive, jojoba, grapeseed, avocado, amla, neem, coconut.......My hair just loves oil!

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I use to use my oil separately as sealers, but that got too messy and more unnecessary steps to my regime, now I just mix them with my butters and DC.

destine2grow

I also choose other. I use my oils as a sealent and also as an hot oil treatment. I have not tried an oil in my conditioner. I might have to try it in my VO5 when I co-wash.

Bun Mistress

Lets see when don't I use oil....
My favs CAMELLIA!!!! JBCO, Jojoba, Vatika Coconut oil

Pre-poo, conditioning, oil rinsing (occasionally when I air dry), sealing wet air, "moisturizing" dry hair, JBCO on my scalp (wet hair only when ari drying), daily on my edges, and when I'm bored. That should cover it.

I voted a sealer for moisturizer. When I air dry my hair, I apply my favorite moisturizer to dripping wet hair. I let it drip dry with out any combing until 75% dry (this prevents avoids frizzing). When hair is 75% dry I then use my oils to seal in the moisture.

Bene

For damp bunning. I'll use grapeseed or sweet almond. Once in a while, I'll pre-poo with fractionated coconut oil, and it makes such a difference. Whenever my hair is cranky and stops responding to everything I do like clarifying or deep conditioning, I'll fall back on the oil.

LovinLea

I use it to seal after a wash-and-go. I used to use gel but the gel I use started to leave my hair white (open to recommendations).

darlingdiva

I use oils:

1. during the detangling process (I apply them--Brahmi Amla oil for now--after I spray some Jane Carter Solution Leave-In on the length of my braids)

2. to seal my ends (castor oil)

3. in my summer leave-in mixture (water, coconut oil, castor oil & honey)

4. on my edges (I rotate bet. dif't oils for this purpose, but I generally use castor oil or an Ayurvedic Fusion oil)

5. during my DC (after I apply the conditioner to my hair, I add a light coat of avocado oil; I've started doing this recently--so far, so good)