how effective are protective styles?

are protective styles worth it?

• Yes, I have done protective styles for an extended period of time and my hair thrived

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • No, I have done protective styles for a long time but it wasn't worth it

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Yes, I have done protective styles for a short time and have seen results

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • No, I have done protective styles for a short time and I don't think it is worth it

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • No, I have not done protective styles.

Votes: 22 13.8%

• Total voters

bee

Laides, I've been wearing a bun for the past two months. I use a doughnut (tube-sock inside, nylon knee-hi outside). So far I think it's going pretty well but I want to try the baggie method. Are there phony ponies that clip on? I've never purchased one but I want one that will cover the nape area on my left side--that side just has some MAJOR issues. I want to know the versatility of the phony pony but I don't want to go through as much as I do w/ this doughnut.

Country gal

Bumping for Lovely Z to read. We were just talking about the effectiveness of wearing a bun. Her hair looks lovely when it is down. The majority of time it is hidden in a bun or french braid.

CityGirl

Wearing a bun almost every single day has given me length that I have not seen in years. I will admit it does get boring, but it pays off when you get a relaxer and see the length of your hair after protecting your ends for so long with buns etc. It also dispels all of the myths that people have about us not being able to grow our hair.

Additionally, protective styles keep your hair from flying around your face all day which is beneficial to your skin. Wearing your hair hidden and protected also give people that :eek: look on their face when you finally do wear it out and they see how much hair you really have. I have to confess, I love it when people see my hair and look like this :eek:. Makes it all worth it to me especially when they swear up and down that you have tracks.

Iluvsmuhgrass

CG your post made me giggle this AM. I've been wearing buns and I'm looking forward to seeing where I end up in December. It'll be time for a relaxer and a trim.

peacelove

ekomba said:
Hey Bellezanegra826, I used protective styles for a year and plan to use it this year too. My hair has really thrived off of them i think i was able to retain everything i grew. Cause i do have split ends but i dont want to trim till i reach my goal, i havent trimmed in a year and if it was not for protective styles my hair would be all broken up but the no manipulation tremendously helped me retain the length so i could concentrate on growing more.

I m even scared to add that it almost became a way of life lol; before learning about protective styles i would always wear my hair out when it was permed and it would never go past shoulder length. I think i m most of the time in protective styles even as we speak lol i think you just get used to it, that s when you see the most growth, when you leave your hair in buns and braids or twists but without forgetting to add moisture to it. ;)

your hair looks fantastic in that photo!

peacelove

I consider wash and go a protective style and it is the one that works best for me - no heat, no manipulation, and added moisture. Plus my ends are curled up and I don't get friction on my clothes.

Buns I have to limit because the biggest problem I have is in the front of my hair. I don't like pulling that area back at all.

Mariaat40

I think wearing protective styles was a major factor in getting me to my goal length of brastrap from my mid neck length starting point. Now that I'm at my goal length, I still wear buns during the week (I think it looks more professional on me), but wear my hair down on weekends.

Arcadian

Protective styles is one of the things that got me from being ear length to shoulder length. If used in conjunction with healthy hair practices, then sure, it can work wonders.

However, some people's hair dosen't respond as well to protective styling. Some people can go without protective styling at all and get great length.

Its a matter of finding whats best for you. With protective styling, you do have to give it a little time before you see any positive results.

-A

Hair Iam

I really needed to read all the positive things about protective styling, I just made my own bun for the first time & for now its looks good. Just just a few questions. How do you maintain the bun at night:confused: ? how many days on average do you wear the same bun before you re-do:confused: ?